Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

Musikron wrote:

So Joe whats the word, did you get her?

Just woke up here in Sweden it is 08.40 will phone the guy after breakfast and then we travel 2 1/2 hours to get there we are visiting friends who live in those parts while we are up there. So will post later today our time if I get my "Eeebeegeebee" [biggrin] or not #-o depending on how I find it....

Jeez still only one on this forum yours Musikron and one that looks different a possible very early version NaturalScience2112's....

.................................................................................................................................

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

We have 6,084 registered forum members and have had 1,484 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 2 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

[biggrin]

Morning Sunshine!

I'm excited for ya man, mine is the bees knees. I've never played another E by G Sherry, a P bass once and a few S guitars years ago is all. I passed on MANY Sheratons over the years before spotting this on the wall at Dirt Cheep music. I said "****" to myself, look around at everything else, including an old Texan, then walked over the the sherry which they had labeled as an Epiphone 335. Walked over to the first amp I saw, plugged in and went home dreaming. The next day I went back to Smyrna, and sold them one of my Taylors. I haggled a deal on the Sherry and left there with money in my pocket! I ditched a guitar I never played, got the sherry and like $1000. Best guitar deal I ever made. Well, not really.

Idea!

I got the Eeebeegeebee it is much nicer in the real than in the photographs yes a couple of dings but still very beautiful and for the price 375 us dollars well worth the money IMHO.

Schtang....this one is certainly not "really horrible" what was you beef with 80s Sheratons other than they are soooo heavy....

I am posting this from my friends PC laptop and I am mac minded so will post more and some photos when I get home. One thing, I would like your advice on Musikron will post a photograph of the bridge. Well I am number three in the owners club now.....[crying]

Hi Musikron

Still at our friends place for the weekend, Playing the guitar through an old Marshall amp my friend has last night.

I am well happy, the only thing though, I am sure this must happen a lot and that it can be sorted, not the bridge it is the stop bar.

Looks like one of the posts has lifted slightly where it goes into the body of the guitar.

When I get back home tonight I will post a photo of that and some general photos, my instinct is that the stop bar post issue can be sorted and I am more than happy with the guitar.

Fits right into my plans.

In the photograph below

JoeSamick's 3 Epiphone Samicks...[blush]

Left: My 1987 "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton II (will have Lollar minis, new assembly and a frequensator one day)

Middle: My 1997 Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II (currently has a SD Jazz/JB set will be changing them for Mean 90's)

Right: My 1989 Epiphone Sheraton II (I have ordered a new assembly and a set of hand wound PAF clone pickups for this one)

P1010234.jpg

The only problem I have with my latest Sheraton addition is there seems a little "play" on the sockets for the stop bar.

Not a great photo but you just might see what I am writing about.

P1010243.jpg

I would love to have a frequensator on this guitar anyway with the minis........so no big deal...#-o

I am a very happy guy at the moment.....

.................................................................................................................................

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

We have 6,096 registered forum members and have had 1,693 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 3 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

smips65 wrote:

Found another one for your club......http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Nice condition that example Smips..... twice the money I paid for mine....... but mine has a few dings....... but the real feel and character of a nice guitar, it is going to be my ready-to-hand guitar, we are bonding as I write.....I think its love.....

Well that is really interesting tdibell!!!

A second example with the same font as NaturalScience2112's early 86 model, I wish I could get a serial number for that one must be an early 86, they must have used that font on the early models....

(Smips the headstock on mine, that is mine in photograph of the headstock below, mine is like Musikron's with the Gibson font)

We have 6,103 registered forum members and have had 1,825 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 3 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Looks like it could do with some love. Jerrymac should see this one....I am not a fan of white. I love my Tobacco Eeebeegeebee too much... What is interesting the serial label font is different to earlier models, the earlier E-by-G models 1986 have 7 digits, mine a 1987 has 8 digits, and this a 1988 has a 9 digit serial......not much rhyme and reason to the serials

Thanks Teegar these E-by-G's are my special little study area. Wish Musikron was around to see this.

(Duane V, we need Musikron back on this forum he is very much missed. A straight shooter, and I and others learned so much from that guy. Helped a lot of people. Wherever you are Musikron a big thanks for being there for us when you were on the forum.)

%21Bkg76zQ%212k%7E$%28KGrHqEOKi8EslKtufkhBL%282M+rNPQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

%21Bkg70PgBGk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKi%21EjlLmEVb8BL%282MrM9M%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

We have 6,127 registered forum members and have had 1,965 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

A big bonus for all E-by-G Sheraton owners, it will be "probably" a lot easier for you to mod your electrics......[thumbup]

I have just found out something that has made my day.....

Musikron once said you can wire some Sheratons through the bridge cavity...many argued with him that it is not possible. It is one very difficult job trying to work through the f holes when re-wiring, so bridge cavity access is a big bonus here.

The variable is......

Musikron has an 1986 Epiphone by Gibson headstock Sheraton....the one I am working on is a 1987 Epiphone by Gibson headstock, like Musikron's and guess what I found when I pulled out the bridge pickup....

P1010245.jpg

P1010246.jpg

that access cavity is 3 inches deep so full size pull-push pots should fly in there.......

Am I a happy apprentice luthier at the moment.....[biggrin]

We have 6,212 registered forum members and have had 2,431 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

• 2 weeks later...

smips65 wrote:

Kinda wierd Joe....http://cgi.ebay.com/Epip...tar?hash=item3a576bc126 Sure are a lot of these popping up ever since you posted this......

The one in the link looks like Musikron's Sheraton, which he holds in very high esteem.

The more I am learning about these guitars, the more I am so pleased I got mine for $375.

I was looking for a reasonable priced Sheraton to modify, so basically I wanted the basic construction of the guitar to be sound.

What I have learned....... these E-by-G's have a very sound construction, the ones I know of have access to the electrics via the bridge pickup cavity, which makes assembly modification less tricky for the average "Joe" like myself...:-).

I have seen Tobacco, Natural, White crop up from this period.

conversing with guys on this forum who have had a lot of guitars pass through their hands, these early Samicks are good sound specimens.

Over that 1986-1988 period it hard to tell how many of these E-by-G's were made.

Many thousands must have been made, and a fair number of those, given the production values, must be good guitars.

At the moment we only have 3 forum members who own E-by-G's and have come forward with photos of their guitars and those three owners are very pleased with their guitars.

There is a pattern emerging re: the serials.

I am just very interested in the pre 1990 Samick Sheratons, I have two, I love them.

For my purposes they are ideal, they have "character", weight, ideal foundations, if bought at the right price, to accept a first rate assembly and a nice set of pickups.

Then for the price of an average "stock" new Sheraton, you could have a very fine guitar indeed.

That is what I am hoping, and will post when all my mods are finished, as they say the "proof of the pudding"......

We have 6,234 registered forum members and have had 2,562 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

• 2 weeks later...

I am also an owner of an "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton II. Mine is natural finish with gold hardware. I would be willing to sell or trade. I am seeking a Fender Jazzmaster (Not Mexican) with sunburst finish and rosewood fingerboard. it mus be in as good a shape as mine (which is excellent). If anyone is interested you can email me for pictures and more information. A similar instrument recently sold on Ebay for $ 895.00. It was sunburst with gold hardware.

Hi Harryn

Can you post photos that might help you, also we could make you E-by-G owner # 4 ....... and if you could post a photograph of the serial and the headstock......... as I am trying to gather information about the differences between the 86, 87, 88 E-by-G's in this thread, it would be much appreciated.

We have 6,329 registered forum members and have had 3,015 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Howdy folks... I have enjoyed learning so much from this forum.... I had to join in!!!! I too own a "E by G"..... I was told that it was an 81.... obviously the guy who had it before me was talking out his you know what...... the serial number is on a sticker on the back of the headstock.... it is gold with a black border... s/n 80202658... The playablility of this guitar is very good and it stays in tune.... I will post pictures as soon as i grab some batteries for my camera... Thanks and I look forward to learning more about this guitar that i have owned for about 10 years now....

Howdy folks... I have enjoyed learning so much from this forum.... I had to join in!!!! I too own a "E by G"..... I was told that it was an 81.... obviously the guy who had it before me was talking out his you know what...... the serial number is on a sticker on the back of the headstock.... it is gold with a black border... s/n 80202658... The playablility of this guitar is very good and it stays in tune.... I will post pictures as soon as i grab some batteries for my camera... Thanks and I look forward to learning more about this guitar that i have owned for about 10 years now....

Post some photos and you can be number 4 in our club welcome.....

Photo of the serial and headstock and some nice general photos....