Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul mahogany bodies.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The back slab of my '07 EE LP appears to be 3 pc (or perhaps just a clever veneering of the sides to let me think it's 3 pc, when it's possibly a lot more ???:-k ) Neck appears to be 3 pc as well... Me no care - it plays great and sounds just fine..... I don't sweat it.

-The "mahogany" body on my Classic Quilt Top is a two piece with a one piece veneer over the back. You can see the join line between the strap button hole and the output jack mounting hole. It runs straight through the middle of the cutaway. But Epi uses a lot of veneers, so they had to make it look like a single, solid piece.

S6300800.jpg

S6300802.jpg

L8R,

Matt

-The "mahogany" body on my Classic Quilt Top is a two piece with a one piece veneer over the back. You can see the join line between the strap button hole and the output jack mounting hole. It runs straight through the middle of the cutaway. But Epi uses a lot of veneers' date=' so they had to make it look like a single, solid piece.

[/quote']

That's very interesting... thanks for all the replies.

-The "mahogany" body on my Classic Quilt Top is a two piece with a one piece veneer over the back. You can see the join line between the strap button hole and the output jack mounting hole. It runs straight through the middle of the cutaway. But Epi uses a lot of veneers' date=' so they had to make it look like a single, solid piece.

[img']http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/AnthemBassMan/Epiphone%20Les%20Paul%20Classic/S6300800.jpg[/img]

S6300802.jpg

L8R,

Matt

My Korean Epi LP Limited Edition (gold sparkletop & bigsby) is like this.

I wanna see this veneer you keep talking of. You can look at the back of my Gibson and Epiphone LPs and clearly see a multi piece body. Why have the veneer if even the Gibbys are multi piece? Perhaps it's just someone being confused and un educated in reading wood and grain?

I wanna see this veneer you keep talking of. You can look at the back of my Gibson and Epiphone LPs and clearly see a multi piece body. Why have the veneer if even the Gibbys are multi piece? Perhaps it's just someone being confused and un educated in reading wood and grain?

Some MOST DEFINATELY have veneers' date=' while others don't.

My standard Epis are painted so I know they don't have them, and my Elite has a book-matched back. I have a Jazz bass with a veneer...Will a picture of that do?[confused

The veneer is very un-noticeable unless you look hard and know how it's used. On an Epiphone G-400 Faded for instance look at the top. There will be a sheet of dark veneer all away around the top that reaches to where the body contours at the edge. This is where you can tell because the grains do not flow evenly at this point and the sides will be more of a lighter color. It draws it's own outline so it gets easier to see. On an LP it's only noticeable when you turn it on its back and look around the edges where it's sanded down and you'll see a thin line at the side of the top covering those multi-pice bodies. In some case like on my faded G-400 the veneer may be so thin you'll still see the body seam running down the back of the guitar anyhow.

Archived