Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul mahogany bodies.

Rondo is not making any such claim in the copy above. "Solid" is not the same as one piece. Rondo is saying the body is made from solid wood instead of laminated wood. Unless I missed it' date=' they do not specify how many [i']pieces[/i] of solid wood though. It may be one or it maybe three or four.

When a manufacturer says a guitar is made from solid wood, they mean that some number of pieces of solid wood are glued togther side by side. Think of it this way: the top of a Gibson Les Paul is solid maple, though it is in two pieces, with the seam down the center. Or, think of the way the floor of a deck is constructed, with multiple solid wood planks lined up next to one another. No one sees your deck and says, "I'm afraid to walk on it, it's not solid wood."

When Rondo says the body is not multi-ply, they mean it is not made of layers of wood stacked up and glued one on top of the other, like sheets of paper in your printer's paper tray.

Dang, you figured it out Red. I'll go back into my cave now.

Oh wait, I can still harass the forum with this - three-piece, solid 1970's mahogany (no top), set neck with good electronics for cheap:

P1010842.jpg

P1010848.jpg

P1010841.jpg

PS: This is a really great guitar, I don't get tired of looking at it either:

sb_1.jpg?t=1263930643

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think that is what Megatron is complaining about. Certainly not my beef. There is no shame in having a 3 piece mahogany back. Why do they try to hide it..? Say it once.. Say it loud.. I am multi-piece and proud!

Certainly there's no shame. I'm talking about how Epiphone uses veneer from a cosmetic standpoint only, and haven't ventured any opinion about the sonic differences, if any, between two and three piece bodies.

Epiphone (and virtually every one else) uses veneer because they want to make their product as attractive as possible to the greatest number of buyers (heck, PRS touts it as a virtue in thier SE ads). Epi knows that when the wood is not book matched from the same plank, each piece won't always finish evenly. THAT's what they're hiding. The veneer gives the guitar an attractive, even finish, and allows them more finish options for the backs and sides than just black (which hides a LOT of multi-piece bodies, believe me). Just look at the sides of an LP in some of the pictures on this forum to see how much lighter or darker some of the pieces used in making the body are from one another. Even though some of you might prefer to see all the pieces, I think fewer people would complain about the veneer than would if their guitar's back looked like it had zebra stripes.

Epi has to use multiple pieces in the body (and neck) to keep prices affordable. And they've done that. Compare how much a new Epi LP has increased in price in comparison to a Gibson LP, and you'll see what I mean. Sure Epiphone prices have gone up in the last few years, but not by much in comparison to Gibson.

And I don't think multi piece LP body's or veneers on the back are anything new, either. I've come across LOTS of Korean Epis with multi piece bodies, and many with black backs, which you can just assume are certainly multi-piece. I don't think I've ever seen a two piece out of Korea, but am willing to believe there may be some, since specs varied so much from contractor to contractor over the years.

Red 333

Dang' date=' you figured it out Red. I'll go back into my cave now.

Oh wait, I can still harass the forum with this - three-piece, solid 1970's mahogany (no top), set neck with good electronics for cheap:

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/P1010841.jpg[/img]

Ha! I was reminded of you when I was leafing through the new Carvin catalog today...

dc643.jpg

http://www.carvinnews.com/newsletter/newsletter-122109.html

...was certain that I'd seen something akin to that body shape on another guitar, somewhere before...

Who can I complain to about my thread being hijacked?

You received direct and succinct answers to your question in the first three responses to your thread.

Why should you care less about what people discuss thereafter?

BTW, I don't believe that starting a conversation thereby implies "ownership" of it, nor the right to control its direction.

I dont think that is what Megatron is complaining about. Certainly not my beef. There is no shame in having a 3 piece mahogany back. Why do they try to hide it..? Say it once.. Say it loud.. I am multi-piece and proud!

I share this view. I just personally find some of the veneers pretty ugly looking.

Like this one here I find looks completely unnatural. It doesn't even look like wood' date=' never mind replicating the look of a certain type of wood:

[img']http://legend.barryeames.com/guitar-pix/epiphone.png[/img]

I'd prefer the 3 piece body over a veneer like THAT any day, even if it wasn't the best looking wood. I am not down on the whole veneer concept, just some of the examples I see like the photo above.

Regarding the Agile's the specs on them are as advertised. I have owned a few am a member at their forum. But they cut costs in their own way. The wood is mahogany, but Asian varieties of it in a lot of cases. Which makes the weights of the Agile LP's incredibly inconsistent. It's is not uncommon to read of Agile LP's ranging from 8 lbs all the way up to 13 lbs (!). A good Agile is a great guitar. I have owned 2 and while the craftmanship was great on both...one was 10 lbs, and the other 11. If I had a choice between a veneer or an 11 lb guitar, I'd take the veneer.

Seriously' date=' people. You've hijacked my thread.[/quote']

Seriously, Blackie, if you want it back just ask a new question pertinant to the thread title. But, don't ask the same question that has already been answered. It will be ignored.

Sheila

Archived