Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire owners - your favorite pickups

teegar

Always thought it would be fun to have a Wilshire, and it looks like a modern reissue could be had for under $300 on ebay. I've never had a chance (and probably won't) to play one - what pickups do you prefer, full size humbuckers, minis? Maybe some adventurous soul has routed/retrofitted for P-90s? What do you like, and what flavor of music do you prefer it for?

Given that the Wilshire is the Epiphone take on an SG, but with the mini HB's, then I would imagine that a Wilshire with full size HB's would sound pretty much like the SG. I've got the Wilshire reissue and compared to my friends SG400 there is a noticible difference in sound. The Wilshire is a brighter sound with a bit of a "honk" to the sound, if you know what I mean. If I were to fit P90's I'd probably go for soapbars but I prefer HB's if only for the lack of interferance. I think the Wilshire re-issue has ceramic magnets and I'd quite like to try some alnico's, problem seems to be that the mini HB replacements I can find from suppliers are not the same size and I'm not much of a woodworker.

Archived