Gibson Brands Forums

Got my eye on this one...

metalhed717

thinking about selling my prophecy sg ex and rounding up the rest to get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Guitar-ltd-EC-1000-MGO-Fast-Free-Ship.-NEW-FOR-2010_W0QQitemZ260534149463QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100107?IMSfp=TL100107214008r6080

what do you guys think?

Lot's of fancy features, many of which you don't really need, but it just doesn't quite look right.

If you want a Les Paul why not get one that looks more like a proper Les Paul? For that sort of cash how about either the Epi LP 1959 reissue (with Gibby pups) or you could stretch yourself and get a Gibson LP studio or, better still, if you want to stick with SGs and get a Gibson SG Standard.

I'm not a fan of the prophecy series by any means, but if you are thinking of selling one to get that, don't. period.

LTds are Krappy with a capital Krap. I mean, if you're a 14 year old kid who wants to look like the SuperFukwadSatanNipples lead guitarist Davy Doom, then by all means, go ahead and buy into that load of marketing crap. But if you want a serious guitar, look elsewhere.

Ok LTD fanboys, flame on.

I'm not a fan of the prophecy series by any means' date=' but if you are thinking of selling one to get that, don't. period.

LTds are Krappy with a capital Krap. I mean, if you're a 14 year old kid who wants to look like the SuperyeehawwadSatanNipples lead guitarist Davy Doom, then by all means, go ahead and buy into that load of marketing crap. But if you want a serious guitar, look elsewhere.

[/quote']

They're not THAT bad. Not the greatest but not bad per se. A bit expensive and I don't really like the necks, but I have a friend with an LTD and it seems to be an instrument of pretty decent quality. If that's what you REALLY want, go for it.

well the main reason im looking at this over another LP style guitar is it has the 24 frets. thats pretty much the only reason im keeping the prophecy right now anyway if to have the extra 2 if i need them, since i put dimarzio's in my other sg it sounds just a bit better than the prohecy. i wanted something that gives me a the same benefits of the prophecy and that offers something else. ive never heard much bad about ltd's, but all suggestions are welcome

well the main reason im looking at this over another LP style guitar is it has the 24 frets. thats pretty much the only reason im keeping the prophecy right now anyway if to have the extra 2 if i need them' date=' since i put dimarzio's in my other sg it sounds just a bit better than the prohecy. i wanted something that gives me a the same benefits of the prophecy and that offers something else. ive never heard much bad about ltd's, but all suggestions are welcome[/quote']

I thought it might have been the 24 frets you were after.

What is your other (22 fret) SG? If the prophecy is better on paper and in feel/playability why not put your Dimarzios in that and your problem is solved.

The LTD has Alnico II pros in it which will give you the 'Slash' sound. Is that the alternative 'something else' you were after (given your username)? If the two SGs are your only guitars and you want something different but with 24 frets maybe you should consider something like a Jackson MIJ soloist which is in the same price range as that LTD but gives you a Korean Original Floyd Rose and SD pickups:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Soloist-Body&page=1&product=2914000854

Another question to ask yourself is whether you absolutely need the extra two frets. If you don't use them now you may never need them.

For a jump up in quality these USA production Charvels are very well thought of and are just a little more than that LTD:

http://charvel.com/production_models.html

I've got one and I can vouch for it being an excellent guitar.

There are so many better guitars than that LTD for just a little more money, especially if you are willing to consider stripped down, 'bling light' versions.

my other sg is a 66 g-400 with the dimarzio's, and i prefer it over the prophecy because it has a little more... weight, i guess, to the sound of it which is probably due to the all mahogany (or so epi says) body instead of the thinner mahog/maple body of the prophecy, plus i actually prefer the slightly thicker neck. my idea was that since this cover pretty much all of my metal sounds i wanted something that i would use for the other stuff i play- classic rock ala zeppelin, aerosmith; bluesy stuff; and that would be better for playing in my school jazz band. i also prefer the shorter gibson style scale wich kinda rules out jacksons, ibanez, etc. and im really reconsidering the 24 frets, i do use them but there are other features i could probably use more. i took a closer look at the new 2010 tribute LP. i didnt realize it has the series/parallel switching, and i like the idea of the assymetrical neck. if i could get a chance to play one i might be sold on that, despite the 22 frets

FWIW' date=' I have a couple 24 fret guitars and a bunch of 22 fretters, and never seem to miss the extra frets when playing another.[/quote']

^This.

One of the reasons I went for a Prophecy LP was for the extra frets. I've never used them, and I certainly don't miss them when playing my Explorer.

Now my (21-fret) Strat on the other hand, that one tends to see a lot of improv. [biggrin]

That said, the Prophecies are better than an LTD. I tried 'em both when searching for my Les Paul, and it seemed the EC-1000 was asking me to pay $200 more for an uglier and less comfortable guitar.

Archived