Gibson Brands Forums

Identification of old Epiphone Les Paul...

Ross_Curtis

I was given this guitar by my dad about 6 years ago, he picked it up from a private sale back in 1995 for around £130.

At the time he tried to find out a little more info on it; value and age, but due to the lack of serial number identification was rather difficult. Apparently the headstock is very rare (I'm not an expert) so I'll have to take his word on this. Someone did suggest it could be an early sample/pre-production model.

Any help or advice you can share would be gratefully received.

Here are some pictures:

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/Ross_Curtis/Guitar/

That body is gorgeous. Kinda like a lava lamp finish. Very cool.

Your guitar is an early version of the MIK Les Paul before they switched over to the headstock we see today. As for dating the guitar, w/o a serial number it will be difficult. I think, not 100% positive though, that the serial numbers were on stickers applied to the back of the headstock. Obviously it is long gone. Most likely early '90's though.

Congrats on a fantabulous looking guitar.

This Guitar it's one of first Epiphone ELITE made in Japan.

No it's not.

The pre Elite/Elitist MIJ LP's headstock are identical to the Gibson headstock:

EPI_MIJ_headstock.jpg

The headstock Ross_Curtis is showing in his photos is an MIK headstock.

IMG_9770.jpg

although it is upside down!!!

They only used that headstock from 1986-1989 and the Les Paul Standard was introduced in 1989 so you do the math.

Here's a picture from the 1989 Epiphone Catalog:

1989LPSTDmed.jpg

It came in Cherry Sunburst:

89LPSTD.jpg

... and Honeyburst:

1989_EpiLP_08.jpg

1989_EpiLP_11.jpg

The serial number was on a sticker on the back of the headstock but it was commonly ripped off:

89LPSTDserial.jpg

Thanks for all your advice.

I was talking to my sisters boyfriend over the weekend about it and it turns out he has just sold the exact same guitar in the same colour. I can't believe we've never discussed/discovered this before.

The headstock is identical, his had the sticker SN which has help confirm this.

I'm never going to sell it, it's an immaculate (almost) guitar which is pretty amazing for something 20 years old.

Cheers guys.

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does someone knows what kind of wood was used in that first les paul 1989 series ?

i've earded they used basswood and alder is that true ?

because they look better finished than the next MIK years (they have a long tenon)

thanks

Also , here's a ebay auction for the same Les paul you shows on pictures

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Gibson-Les-Paul-Sunburst-Japan_W0QQitemZ170424347635QQcmdZViewItem

• 6 months later...

I have a beautiful Korean Les Paul like the one thats upside down in this thread ............it is Gorgeous!

I also have a Limited Edition Black/grey quilt? I guess thats the color.....all the hardware is black with pearl tuners and Bill Lawrence OBL hot rail pickups...........also gorgeous for sale if interested email Mark friendo2u@gmail.com

or call 626-536-7238....................please dont stoop to the lowball stuff and no lookie loos, if youre serious send me an email along with your phone # or I wont send pics................these are super nice............you wont be disappointed

626-536-7238 friendo2u@gmail.com

• 4 months later...

They only used that headstock from 1986-1989 and the Les Paul Standard was introduced in 1989 so you do the math.

Here's a picture from the 1989 Epiphone Catalog:

1989LPSTDmed.jpg

It came in Cherry Sunburst:

89LPSTD.jpg

... and Honeyburst:

1989_EpiLP_08.jpg

1989_EpiLP_11.jpg

The serial number was on a sticker on the back of the headstock but it was commonly ripped off:

89LPSTDserial.jpg

Just going back over old posts and came across this one. SH's 1989 catalog is obviously correct, however, on the ehow.com/about Samick site it states that LP's were not produced there until the mid '90's. Don't understand why there's confusion on this point but that just adds, or detracts, mojo to the guitar. All in all, I have mine and being that I have no S/N I am comfortable saying that its an '89 with a dark cherryburst. Still plays great and as I've stated before if I had to sell the entire stable this would be the last to go, including the '88 pre-historic '59 RI Gibby. The only identifying mark on it is the number 6 or 9 in the bridge pup cavity shown in the pics. I don't know about the 17 degree headstock being accurate on the Epi though. I think we had a way to measure that on the old old forum but I never did try to measure it. Whatever, its a good guitar and I'm glad I have it..............J

www.ehow.com/about_5427510_early-samick-lp-guitars.html

Epiguts016.jpg

Epiguts002.jpg

Epiguts007.jpg

Epiguts031.jpg

Just going back over old posts and came across this one. SH's 1989 catalog is obviously correct, however, on the ehow.com/about Samick site it states that LP's were not produced there until the mid '90's. Don't understand why there's confusion on this point but that just adds, or detracts, mojo to the guitar. All in all, I have mine and being that I have no S/N I am comfortable saying that its an '89 with a dark cherryburst. Still plays great and as I've stated before if I had to sell the entire stable this would be the last to go, including the '88 pre-historic '59 RI Gibby. The only identifying mark on it is the number 6 or 9 in the bridge pup cavity shown in the pics. I don't know about the 17 degree headstock being accurate on the Epi though. I think we had a way to measure that on the old old forum but I never did try to measure it. Whatever, its a good guitar and I'm glad I have it..............J

www.ehow.com/about_5427510_early-samick-lp-guitars.html

Epiguts016.jpg

Epiguts002.jpg

Epiguts007.jpg

Epiguts031.jpg

I've seen a few of the Korean LP's with this headstock, including a white custom and a couple of bursts, every one was a 1989 model.

So it seems that this headstock is exclusive to the '89 LP. Or, if its an Epi LP with this headstock its an '89, whichever way you you want to say it. Right?? I know that it was used on the semi-hollows but I think the logo on those had the typical Epi slant/tilt, whereas the LP's logo was straight across. Someone with that era Samick semi can clear that up real quick........J

So it seems that this headstock is exclusive to the '89 LP. Or, if its an Epi LP with this headstock its an '89, whichever way you you want to say it. Right?? I know that it was used on the semi-hollows but I think the logo on those had the typical Epi slant/tilt, whereas the LP's logo was straight across. Someone with that era Samick semi can clear that up real quick........J

Here's the headstock from a white Samick custom Lp, 1989 model

_DSF0223.jpg

_DSF0225.jpg

_DSF0224.jpg

• 8 years later...

I recently bought a used - what I think is an '89 custom made by Epiphone but with "Gibson" on the headstock rather than "Epiphone".  The owner had replaced the bridge and tailpiece (black) and pickups (rails) and I'd like to replace the bridge and tailpiece with an aged silver bridge and tailpiece.  I was wondering if the measurements of these models were "Gibson specs" or "Epiphone specs" or if anyone had info on type/size/measurements they would be willing to share so I could make the changes correctly.

Thanks so much!!

We'd have to see this guitar to determine what it is. If it is truly an Epiphone, then it will have Epiphone specs. The only legit Epiphones with Gibson logo on the headstock (not truss cover, which is common) were the 1983 American series guitars that were rebadged as Gibson's at one point. Let's see some pics.