Gibson Brands Forums

Awesome Ugly Hot Pink Flying V! Advise/help ID?

jagv4p.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about this guitar? I found another thread on what appears to be a similar guitar here, but the conversation kind of turned into a back and forth on the bridge unit.

I'm looking at picking this up second hand, and I've noticed that it has a bunch of 'upgrades' (or just differences compared to the guitar referenced in the earlier thread) - new pickguard, seemingly non-original pickups (as the originals appear to be those emg-style covers), different controls layout, and what appears to be closer to an original floyd design instead of the bendmaster trem (also, appears to be an upgrade, considering the visible hole in the body cavity under the bridge!).

Anyone remember what other colors these were released in or what official 'name' they'd be under? I've googled the hell out of Pink Epiphone Flying V and only found a couple hits.

I'm going to play the guitar later this week, but in the meantime, I'm trying to research it to see if there are any hidden nuggets of info that I might need to know. Any knowledge, help, advice is greatly appreciated... I'm no expert on Vs so I came to find the experts here!

Thank you!

It's a 1989 Epiphone Flying V. The pickguard and PUPs aren't stock and the color is called Magenta. The original trem was an Epiphone "Bennder", which was used on many Epiphones in the mid-to-late '80s. Yours looks like some type of Schaller Floyd Rose.

Here's a picture from the 1989 Epiphone catalog:

89FlyingVmed.jpg

And here's another one in Magenta (stock):

89flyingVmagentaserconf.jpg

89flyingVmagentaserconfback.jpg

The serial number is on a sticker on the back of the headstock, which (if it's still there) should start with a 9.

Wow, thanks suicidehummer! That's exactly the info I'm looking for!

I'm meeting up with the seller in a couple days to try it out, but he either doesn't have much information or he's hiding something (ahh, cragslist!) and I'm just trying to know what I'm getting into before checking it out.

For the record, seller says the bridge is a trs-101, surely a licensed floyd system.

I find very interesting the repositioning of the toggle switch and/or jack-- perhaps that was done to accomodate the pickguard? Who knows... I'll make sure to check the serial number (I'd be surprised to even find one, actually!) and will report back!

Thank you so much!

(and yes Brian H -- I'm looking to purchase this to play at a fundraiser where we are doing, among other songs, Kiss Me Deadly! ha ha...)

No problem. I got the catalog from a fellow member for free so I try to use it to help people as much as possible as a way of paying it forward.

I doubt the seller knows what it is, as it was made only one year (that particular style anyway). I wouldn't mention that to him though. You may want to ask about the trem and tell him you know it's not original. Definitely ask if any routing was necessary for the new trem.

Yeah, the repositioned toggle switch and jack are strange. I don't know if that would require routing as well, you may want to ask.

Those Vs were made by Samick and being the owner of a Samick guitar, I highly recommend them.

Good luck with the purchase!

Those Vs were made by Samick and being the owner of a Samick guitar' date=' I highly recommend them.

Good luck with the purchase![/quote']

Again with some useful info! Thanks again, gives me a little more overall confidence in the viability of this guitar being a cool find for my *collection* - I'll report back when I know more!

Musikron-- I doubt they guy has the original parts, but he might-- I'm trying not to overwhelm him with questions. :)

He was asking $350, then two days later dropped his price to $225. Including a case, I might add. He admitted that he is missing the trem arm and has lost one of the string clamps at the nut. So it needs a little help.

I was going to use my situation (needing a buttrawk floyd rose guitar, for lack of a better description) to indulge myself in getting one of the Charvel San Dimas telecasters (I was really into Mick Mars' Kramers back in the day!) - but this would save me $500 and looks ridiculously awesome. ;)

I would even push for a cheaper price. I've seen that Epi Vs from that era generally go for $150-$250. Just make a big deal about the missing trem arm and string clamp.

And you can also add in that fact that it has been 'modded' by changing the jack and switch, which detracts from it being 'original', thus lowering its market value. Anything to talk a price down helps. Good luck.

Sheila

Yep-- agreed with everyone here... I'm going to need to sink some money into getting it back into shape, and I'll definitely be getting my HAGGLE on with this dude... this is assuming when I get it in hand its not warped into the next century or something...!

Sheila-- I'll be playing some Def Lep at the fundraiser I'm trying to score this guitar for... doing my best Steve Clark ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone-- just wanted to post the final update. Not that it is great news. :)

Usually on Craigslist it is the buyers who are unmotivated flakes, but in this instance-- it was the seller! My attempts to find out more about this guitar and take a tiny road trip to go play it were practically met with resistance, even though the fellow claimed it was still available.

Eventually I just decided to lay off it and buy a new guitar (basically, I needed a Floyd) so I picked up one of the new Charvel San Dimas telecasters (now discontinued) so I could do my best Mick-Mars-playing-Kramer-telecaster impression. :)

Thanks to everyone here for their knowledge and help! I usually stay out of the Gibson forums as I don't find it the friendliest board around, but my experience here at Epi has been great! :) Thanks!

34zjea0.jpg

• 1 year later...

Pity you didn't manage to pick up the flying V, their great guitars. I have one exactly like the pic above which was my main gigging guitar for two years in 93/94. Took a fair amount of punishment and never gave me a moments problem. Hasn't been out of it's case much since mind you as my tastes have mellowed somewhat, but I can't bring myself to part with it!

Think I paid around £190 new for it then (about $300), so would expect 2nd hand now to be around the £90-120 mark.

You don't see this model around much, so thank's for the info above, was always kind of curious myself!

Thanks to everyone here for their knowledge and help!

I usually stay out of the Gibson forums as I don't find it the friendliest board around,

but my experience here at Epi has been great! :) Thanks!

Congrats on your NEW GIT!!!!!!!! [thumbup]

Flo-Post-090710.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived