Gibson Brands Forums

new Ibanez Tube-Screamer amp

I dunno about this one. Seems awful gimmicky to me, and they are obviously just capitalizing on the TS name. They never state WHICH tubescreamer is in the circuit either. If it's anything like Ibanezs' past amps or new products in general, then it won't be around long.

YEP!!!!

Epiphone Wildkat "Au Natural"

Squier Standard Strat with Lindy Fralin Blues Special Neck and Mid. Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates Plus" Bridge

PRS SE Custom

EPI BC Custom 30

Line 6 Spider III 75 W

Belcat "Chinese" 20 Watt upgraded W/JJ/Tesla El-84's & 12AX7s

Roland Microcube RX

Boss SD-1

Ibanez TS-TS9DX

Marshall Bluesbreaker II

Boss FBM-1 "Fender Bassman"

Digitech Heavy Metal Distortion

"No gigger but basement wannabe Rock Star"

I dunno about this one. Seems awful gimmicky to me' date=' and they are obviously just capitalizing on the TS name. They never state [b']WHICH tubescreamer is in the circuit[/b] either. If it's anything like Ibanezs' past amps or new products in general, then it won't be around long.

Yeah it's the Buzz Saw sounding model.....Oh that's still confusing since they all sound like that![biggrin]

This is a great step for Ibanez. I'm surprised it's taken other makers this long to realize the market attraction to small powered tube amps. It's not as if the consumer has made it a secret that they want them.

Yeah, it's gimmicky, but so what? If you owned the rights to a pedal circuit that was literally a household word, wouldn't YOU use it as a marketing tool? You'd be called pretty dumb if you didn't!

I'd be surprised if the circuit weren't a 4558-equipped 808 or early ts9 circuit. Why would they bother marketing an amp with a built-in circuit that wasn't the magic bullet? As for cost, bear in mind that it probably cost them an additional $5 to build that circuit into the amp, and that includes the cost of the extra knobs and the switch to control it!

As with anything else, you really don't know until you try it for yourself. Might be the greatest sounding amp you've ever played through, might be the worst, or it might be something in between that's totally usable. Regardless, none of us would ever know whether or not it works for us specifically unless we plugged into it and tried it out. Just remember, many of the most revered vintage amps today were mocked and riciduled when they were new, too.

ok i did it' date=' sent them an email lets see how long and what kind of response I get[/quote']

It will be something like this.............Thankyou very nice for interest in Ibanez amplifier for guitar with built in TS circuit to sound really great for your enjoyment pleasure. We hope to do business with you in future transactions and have nice day.[confused]

It's not as if any of the Ibanez variations were the best versions of the circuit' date=' is it? [/quote']

Nope....at least not to my ears or at stage volumes anyways. I am a big time Ibanez Tubescreamer fan and been using them for many years with great results.... for me at any rate. After years of trying the different flavors Ibanez TS's I've come to the conclusion that they're either chicken sheeet or chicken salad...in other words same same.

Yeah sure, I got caught up with the swapping between different versions, ICs and other components earlier in the years but without the use of my imagination and wishful thinking I honestly heard no difference.....or any to choose one over the other. Then again some with a much more refined hearing might be able to pick out the differences in a mix much better than I can.

As far as the amp IMO it's pretty cool move on Ibanez's part. For my self...if it was a combo with the Fender Blackface clean and TS grit I'd most likely be all over it.

How come it matters? It's not as if any of the Ibanez variations were the best versions of the circuit' date=' is it? [/quote']

its donst to me, but when some one post what I think is some sweet new gear, for a good price!, than half the people automatically slam it because its "probably got one of those cheap shitt TS circuts" and "its a gimick!!" Im gonna see if I can prove em wrong ...I doubt that Ibanez even responds ...........I am shure its just as big a piece of Junk as the epi tube heads....................but some many love those....

MaxHeart,

I work for Ibanez' Amplifier development team here in the US. I was interested to see what people were saying about the new Tube Screamer amp we unveiled at NAMM last week and while scanning the net, came across this thread. Let me see if I can shed a little light on this amp for you guys: First, it's based on the original, TS808 circuit. We felt this generation of the Tube Screamer was the best place to start, since we had originally been using an 808 to test with the amp before we came up with the idea to include the Tube Screamer circuit as part of the amp, itself. Keep in mind, throughout the evolution of the Tube Screamer, each version is, at its core, the same circuit. Producing an amplifier, using this circuit, isn't as easy as just taking a Tube Screamer apart and mounting it inside the amp. It needed to be fine tunned to produce the sound everyone is accustomed to hearing from an 808 while being mounted inside an amp. So, we took a lot of time to take care of that. We sound tested it against every tube screamer we've produced in the past (as well as some we haven't produced!) All said and done, the circuit in the amp ended up sounding just about identical to a TS808. This circuit does feature a 4558D IC chip so it has that darker character that the 808 has vs. the others. Overall, the amp has a lot of punch and range, and the final production version we saw at the show last week sounded even better than the prototype I'd tried and approved several months ago. There is an additional boost circuit, aside from the TS circuit, that can be used by itself or with the TS to give you a fully saturated dirty sound. By itself, the amp produces amazing clean tone. With the TS circuit in the mix, it kills. Hope this clears things up for you.

Seems like the old "what if I built this pedal into the amp" thing finally took off, huh? Crate tried that with a very lame TL072 circuit, but the humble VJr (and the cheesy v2 VJr, at that), kicked the VC508's little booty all over the place. Price is everything, but tone rules. Even Epi figured that out with the v3 VJr's OT. This IBnasty seems pick up where the Crate left off with some of the shortcomings corrected by the switchable opamp circuit, bigger power amp, and speaker cab option. It seems like a good start, but time will tell.

Good to hear you nailed the tone of the circuit, but just as important is the question of how the amp's TS808 reacts to getting the snot slammed out of it by really abusive pedals like a SHO or Fuzz Factory. And then there are the usual questions regarding the quality of tone from the rest of the amp w/and w/o other pedals; but I guess we'll have to wait to compare tones heads up against other offerings in the local guitar shops. It'll be slow in coming if it's coming from China though.

Also, many tube amps in this budget range just aren't all that hot once you really start checking things out under the hood, so it'll be interesting to see how this one holds up to the new level of scrutiny these things are getting these days. And at $300 street, it's up against stiff competition in an arena where few folks are willing to buy one to gut and rebuild. [biggrin] I wish you luck.

Gil...

For me, you had me up until this point in the conversation. I'm not fluent in IC chips. My amp is made the old fashion way, with resisters and capacitors and tubes.

"This circuit does feature a 4558D IC chip so it has that darker character that the 808 has vs. the others. Overall, the amp has a lot of punch and range, and the final production version we saw at the show last week sounded even better than the prototype I'd tried and approved several months ago. There is an additional boost circuit, aside from the TS circuit, that can be used by itself or with the TS to give you a fully saturated dirty sound."

I dunno 'bout you guys, but I really like to abusively overdrive my already "fully saturated dirty sound." And I get a mighty fine bunch of that outta my pedal board and my amps. Plus, I can change pedals on a whim, or just plug straight in and still get saturated with pure dirty tubishness. It's all good, but the favorite flavor-of-the-week is always subject to change; so I never saw the point of loading my amps down with permanently fixed 3SB whizbangerisms when they're so much easier to swap in and out in pedal form. Besides, what if I want to use 'em with a different amp-of-the-week? #-o[biggrin]

Gil...

I dunno, I guess at best its a little practice amp, and if you're like me, you pretty much always have a TS type overdrive hooked up. I broke down and built my own, now I have had to make a few for friends and clients as well due to overwhelming demand.

If the amp sounded good I could see hauling it to a buddies for a quick jam, or maybe putting in the lake house for weekend get away play, but I wouldn't expect anything to write home about. In other words don't go selling your Fenders!

MaxHeart' date='

I work for Ibanez' Amplifier development team here in the US. I was interested to see what people were saying about the new Tube Screamer amp we unveiled at NAMM last week and while scanning the net, came across this thread. Let me see if I can shed a little light on this amp for you guys: First, it's based on the original, TS808 circuit. We felt this generation of the Tube Screamer was the best place to start, since we had originally been using an 808 to test with the amp before we came up with the idea to include the Tube Screamer circuit as part of the amp, itself. Keep in mind, throughout the evolution of the Tube Screamer, each version is, at its core, the same circuit. Producing an amplifier, using this circuit, isn't as easy as just taking a Tube Screamer apart and mounting it inside the amp. It needed to be fine tunned to produce the sound everyone is accustomed to hearing from an 808 while being mounted inside an amp. So, we took a lot of time to take care of that. We sound tested it against every tube screamer we've produced in the past (as well as some we haven't produced!) All said and done, the circuit in the amp ended up sounding just about identical to a TS808. This circuit does feature a 4558D IC chip so it has that darker character that the 808 has vs. the others. Overall, the amp has a lot of punch and range, and the final production version we saw at the show last week sounded even better than the prototype I'd tried and approved several months ago. There is an additional boost circuit, aside from the TS circuit, that can be used by itself or with the TS to give you a fully saturated dirty sound. By itself, the amp produces amazing clean tone. With the TS circuit in the mix, it kills. Hope this clears things up for you.

[/quote']

hey thats pretty cool man thanks for the answer

Archived