Gibson Brands Forums

Great Intro/Opening Riffs

RenegadeMaster

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

My friend recently asked me to stand in as a lead guitarist for a couple of local gigs since his usual lead guitarist has gone travelling around Europe (tenner says he gets to Amsterdam and spends the rest of the months there), so I gladly accepted, he told me they loved to throw a couple of covers into their set list to mix things up and one cover he wanted to perform for a long time was Heart in a Cage by The Strokes, but hadn't been able to since his lead guitarist couldn't quite nail the riff, Luckily I could on my Sheraton pretty comfortable, and just wanted to state it is an awesome intro riff :) and it has a really good outro solo aswell, plus I get brownie points since it is played on an Epiphone!

What intro/opening riffs do you enjoy :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Strokes' best opening riff is from "Reptilia" -- pretty darn catchy.

Top 5 all-time IMO:

1. Day Tripper - The Beatles

2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones

3. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

5. The Ocean - Led Zeppelin

Paperback Writer

Hey Bulldog

Satisfaction

The Last Time

Start Me Up

Mr. Tambourine Man (and 8 Miles High, & Turn, Turn, Turn)

Over Under Sideways Down

Heat Full Of Soul

House of the Rising Sun (Animals version)

Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

And...SO Many others....without even mentioning the "Blues" licks, we all love. LOL

CB

I was born in 1956 and have followed Van Morrison throughout his whole career from Them to the present day, and I idolise the fat, old, grumpy, bastard.

Whenever I need the "Healing to Begin" I throw on Van Morrison. (If you are ever feeling low and need a tingle in your life try Ancient Highway from the These are the Days album...........)

Back in my home city of Liverpool with people of my generation there is one intro to a song that is sure to get everyone out of their seat, up dancing and having a time at a party when they have had a few drinks.

One of my least favourite Morrison tracks....... but what the hell widely popular.

Here Marty Schwartz will show those who don't know how to play the intro, how to do so. unfortunately it is at the end of the youtube clipe so you will have to be patient...which is a virtue.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived