Gibson Brands Forums

BIG QUESTION! Epi Les Paul wiring.

leadgit1

Hi guys. I have an update on the Epi Les Paul Standard OBL I recently obtained. I have been inside guitars for 35+years and have come across a unique situation with this 97 OBL. Has anyone ever seen a neck pickup wired to the tone pot instead of the volume pot. Is there something very basic I am missing here. I spoke with the origional owner who bought it new in 97 and he says he never took the cover plate off. I was curiouse about the extremely low output of the neck pup and that is what I found when I opened her up.

97 Epi Sam Ash Les Paul Standard OBL edition bone stock

98 Strat with EMG DG 20 compliment and a solid maple Cort neck.

01 Ibanez S470 minus the mid,single coil pup.

02 PRS Santana SE w/added 2nd volume control.

89 Cort Strat model w/maple neck.

2004 Epi Duke University commemoritive edition heavily upgraded and modified.

2006 First Act Garage Master "Volkswagon edition" upgraded for playability.

Vintage Silvertone Stratatone w/Filtertrons, Tune-o-matic bridge, Mighty Mite tuners.

Hi guys. I have an update on the Epi Les Paul Standard OBL I recently obtained.

Has anyone ever seen a neck pickup wired to the tone pot instead of the volume pot?

Is there something very basic I am missing here?

I spoke with the origional owner who bought it new in 97 and he says he never took the cover plate off.

Nothing basic about it. A pot is a load resistor for the p_up. Normally the p_up is wired to a volume that

is set up as a potentiometer and the tone pot is set up as a low pass filter with the cap between the

volume pot and ground.

The rolloff curve is determined by the tone pot resistive value. More series resistance between the p_up

and the cap in the circuit, the more treble available at the jack.

Although wiring a pup to the tone pot is possible, the configuration needs to be a bit different and

you don't have as much control on the volume as you rolloff the the tone pot combining the two.

I can't see it being factory wired this way..somebody somewhere had to alter the wiring, if it is

indeed wired up the way you say it is.

Archived