Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES-295 ?

iang27

Hi everyone, just joined the forum as I have just bought a 2002 ES-295 which has not arrived yet but I am looking for advice before it arrives as I would like to change a couple of things.

Firstly it has the Epiphone branded double bar B7 style Bigsby fitted but I much prefer the longer single bar B6 style. Does anyone know if the B6 will cover the 2 holes that will be left on the top of the guitar if the B7 is removed ?

Also does the Epiphone branded Bigsby B7 have a 3 or 4 hole fixing on the bottom of the guitar. If anyone has a picture that would be great.

Secondly, I wanted to fit better tuners that are a direct replacemnt as I do not want any extra holes left. Is there a particular better quality tuner that you can suggest.

The original pickups are meant to be quite good, is this the case or would fitting better pickups be adviseable, if so what will fit directly in to the guitar without any mods

Thanks for any advice.

Hi iang27

a big welcome

My brother back in Liverpool, was GAS'ing like crazy for this a while back, did you land it?

Too..... Rockabilly for my tastes, but my brother thought it was a fine Rockabilly box..... His preference

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-1998-Epiphone-ES-295-Semi-Acoustic-Guitar-Case_W0QQitemZ220539338125QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item33592b3d8d

!BjUMKtQB2k~$(KGrHqYOKj4Es-Uv8hevBLTFYvy5Qg~~_3.JPG

Post some photos when your guitar arrives...

good luck

Congrats..if that's the one from the Gretschforum you've got yourself a nice guitar.

No, the B6 is a single bar type so it won't cover the holes left by the B7

A Bigsby B7 has the squarish hinge with 4 screwholes and a larger oval one in the middle.

How about some Sperzels used on the higher end Gretsch? Not sure if they drop in tho.

Generally the Epiphone P90s are considered pretty good. Are you looking for a different sound or just an improvement in P90 tone?

Hi Guys,

I did look at the first one that was on Ebay but it had a few marks on it. I really wanted the one that was on the Gretsch forum but the guy would not post to the UK, that one was brand new with the later Bigsby, I presume the guitar is the same just they upgraded the Bigsby ??

I then found one here from a collector, it is a 2002 model with the same Bigsby as the picture above, he only used it a few times then it has been stored away. He says it is immaculate, I hope so, I took him at his word !!

I found these tuners, do you reckon these will fit ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TonePros-Kluson-B3L-N-Gibson-Locking-tuners-Nickel_W0QQitemZ300380086514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item45f00c60f2

I can get a Bigsby B6 with either a three hole or 4 hole fixing on the bottom but until my guitar arrives I do not know if the Epiphone Bigsby has a 3 or 4 hole fitting. It is much longer than the B7 so I hoped it would cover the holes.

As for the pickups I want a Rockabilly sound (50's, Setzer, Horton Heat etc) I think they will do the job for a while unless I can get some original Gibson ES-295 ones.

Pictures to follow when it arrives

Hi Guys' date='

I did look at the first one that was on Ebay but it had a few marks on it. I really wanted the one that was on the Gretsch forum but the guy would not post to the UK, that one was brand new with the later Bigsby, I presume the guitar is the same just they upgraded the Bigsby ??

I then found one here from a collector, it is a 2002 model with the same Bigsby as the picture above, he only used it a few times then it has been stored away. He says it is immaculate, I hope so, I took him at his word !!

I found these tuners, do you reckon these will fit ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TonePros-Kluson-B3L-N-Gibson-Locking-tuners-Nickel_W0QQitemZ300380086514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item45f00c60f2

I can get a Bigsby B6 with either a three hole or 4 hole fixing on the bottom but until my guitar arrives I do not know if the Epiphone Bigsby has a 3 or 4 hole fitting. It is much longer than the B7 so I hoped it would cover the holes.

As for the pickups I want a Rockabilly sound (50's, Setzer, Horton Heat etc) I think they will do the job for a while unless I can get some original Gibson ES-295 ones.

Pictures to follow when it arrives[/quote']

The TonePros tuners will require larger holes. As for the Bigsby, I believe the unit that's on it is the same as a B-70. In fact, I had a 295 that came stock with the Bigsby instead of the Epiphone branded tailpiece. If you want the USA Bigsby, I would suggest replacing it with the B-7. The B-6 will not cover the holes in the top, plus it's possible that the neck angle may be too shallow for the B-6.

Be patient. You can wait a few days until you get the guitar before making decisions. But here's what I would suggest:

Pickups - Wait and see if the stocks pickups suit your style. And hope that you like them, because it might be difficult to find a replacement that fits exactly. The P-90s have high spacers on this guitar that match the guitar body, so you would have to find a pickup whose cover has the exact same dimensions as the Epi pups.

Tuners - Tuners are the one upgrade I would do. The TonePros are a good choice if you want to keep the appearance and not have extra visible holes on the back of your headstock. I've never used the locking ones, but the standard ones (I think TPK-33) work great and you won't have to bore out the holes. You'd want the push in bushings, not the bolt ons.

Bigsby - Keep what you got, it's fine. What you can do is replace the spring with a Bigsby USA spring, I've done that with the import Bigsby and found a slight improvement in the spring action.

You got a nice guitar coming, bond with it before you decide to alter it. And just fix what needs to be fixed.

Yeah, what Jerrymac says, that's exactly right.

I was watch watching both of those 295s on eBay too.

It took all the restraint I could muster not to bid.

I think you'll be suprised how nice it is and may not want to do much at all...

Yeah' date=' what Jerrymac says, that's exactly right.

I was watch watching both of those 295s on eBay too.

It took all the restrain I could muster not to bid.

I think you'll be suprised how nice it is and may not want to do much at all...[/quote']

+1

And if you don't want those puke green tuners, send em to me, I'll probably need them sooner or later.

together2a.jpg

Hi Folks

I joined today just to reply to this post as I used to own an Epi 295

Why plan on changing anything at all until you've actually seen and played it - it may just surprise you by being OK. It may stay in tune and the p/ups may actually sound OK - the Bigsby may just work OK

Tuners, Bigsby and pickups were all OK on my one

If you are planning on gigging the guitar - keep the original parts - when you come to sell it the new owner might just want the originals

puke green = vintage, aged white?

• 4 weeks later...

iang27,

did you get the 295?

did you change anything?

results of changes?

i've just got one myself, and i'm intrested in changing out the tuning machines for Kluson Deluxe Vintage, and replacing the bigsby with a tailpiece.

used methods i discovered here:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/17007-dulling-poly-finished-guitars-pic-heavy.html

to take down the Super Shiney finish, and now the guitar looks less like a toy.

any feedback?

also, i'm pretty sure the green color of the tuning machine heads is supposed to represent the vintage tone of celluloid plastic that was used on guitars from the 50's and 60's.

check "mint" green scratch guards on fender guitars of the period.

anybody else have one o' these boxes?

here's mine:

790132899_Qg8wJ-O.jpg

Hi, Yes I did do a couple of mods.

Firstly I removed the Epiphone tuners and replaced them with Kluson Pros, basically the same part but MUCH better quality. The Epiphone tuners virtually spin themselves when no tension is on them, the Klusons are double the weight, do not move as easily and feel good quality.

The holes had to be slightly enlarged using a 9mm drill, it just went through by hand so no major difference in size.

I also removed the Epiphone branded B60 style Bigsby and replaced it with a longer B7 which is the same size as the one fitted to the Gibson ES-295. I fitted the original tailpiece by knocking the pin out of the old Bigsby and fitting the tail to the new B7 so no new holes showing anywhere.

The B7 completely covers the top hole and 90% covers the lower hole on the face of the guitar. I just stuck a small foam pad over the hole before fitting the B7 and you cannot see it. The Bigsby is much more precise now and has a better action. Make it look like the Gibson more now, I can not afford one of those but this Epiphone really is a nice guitar.

I was unsure whether to bother changing the pickups to the Gibson P90's or another brand as the standard ones seem decent enough anyway.

Some pictures, Some without flash, some with flash. They will be better in natural light.

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Have you noticed the changes over the various years of production ?

The first models ( mine ) had the Epiphone branded Bigsby and the two volume controls further down the face of the guitar.

The next generation has the Bigsby branded Bigsby and the volume controls in the same place.

The later models had the newer Bigsby but the volume controls were moved further up, very similar to the Gibson ES-295 position.

So, the nearest to the Gibson ES-295 is the later model fitted with the B6 Bigsby like I have fitted and the Kluson Tuners.

supposedly mine is 2004 peerless.

and from what you wrote, mine is from the second period.

the volume/tone controls are probably in a better spot closer to the pick guard

and in a spot that one can actually access them in spite of the bigsby.

i'm not all that worried about extra holes left behind, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna

chuck the bigsby and get a tailpiece.

and, upgrade to klusons.

so far, i have no problem with the stock p'ups.

thanks for the feedback on the tuners.

p.s. have you checked your intonation?

i'm prolly wrong, but your bridge looks like it's really close to your bridge p'up, and if mine is correct (i swear i did the intonation just the other day after re-finishing my guitar) and both my bridge and the other dude's are in similar positions, yet your's is kinda the opposite?

if you're not certain, you might want to check....

Archived