Gibson Brands Forums

Case help from all you Texan Owners

Aster1

Well, I've been trying to run, but I can't seem to hid from it.

With all the praise on the "Inspired by 1964 Texan" comments that I had on a post about my EJ-200, I've decided I'd better look into that Texan my dealer has on the floor. Haven't been able to get it out of my head yet. He said he'd make me a great deal on it (has $449 for a sticker price) so I'd presume he may come off that 10% more maybe.

My question is about a case. I would presume that Epi makes a good case that will fit the rounded shoulder nice, but I have the hanker'n for a Tweed case for it. Any feedback on the "Musician Gear Tweed", "Gator Tweed case", or even the "Guardian Tweed case and how any would fit the Texan? I'm getting too many "black" cases that look the same and like the look of my Fender Tweed Strat case allot.

I just didn't know if one case fits that Texan better than the others or if it even matters on the Rounded Shoulder.

Thanks for the input. Just what I need, another guitar. Lordy, I can only play one at a time too. They are just so pretty to look at an hold. About like Harley Davidsons, you just have to own more than one, cuz they are all so different!

Aster [confused]

I have two of the Musicians Gear tweed cases and am very happy with them.

I also have a Musicians Gear vintage dreadnought as well. It fits both my AJ45 and AJ200SR so it should be fine for the Texan.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Vintage-Dreadnought-Guitar-Case?sku=542013

Do you have a Texan too? Is it a snug fit?

Epiphone sells the EDREAD case for the Texan, but like you said, "Who wants another black case?" So I asked around and ended up buying the Musician's Gear Tweed Case for $59. With the tweed outside and the brown interior this case looks absolutely spectacular with the coloring of the Texan.

texan006.jpg

However, there is a slight problem. The guitar does not fit perfectly. Thankfully the case is a shade too big rather than too small and that makes for an easy fix. All I did was took some foam I had lying around (you can get this stuff at any fabric store for two bucks) and cut a 'U' shape for the neck. When I close the case the foam compresses onto the neck and keeps the guitar in place. No rattling, no movement at all. The body of the guitar fits well into the case, it is just the neck that was moving around, but not anymore.

texcase001l.jpg

texcase003l.jpg

Look, for $59 bucks and a quick mod you can't go wrong with this fine looking case for the Texan. I have the black EDREAD case for my Epi 160-E, I sure didn't want two of the same exact cases for my Epi acoustics. I love the look of this tweed and brown case for my Texan.

All I did was took some foam I had lying around (you can get this stuff at any fabric store for two bucks) and cut a 'U' shape for the neck. When I close the case the foam compresses onto the neck and keeps the guitar in place. No rattling' date=' no movement at all.

[/quote']

Good idea, but one should check first to make sure that the chemical composition of the foam used doesn't react with the guitar's finish.

• 10 years later...

So which case should I choose specifically for my 1964 Texan? I've been searching this sight for their specific model and I want an Epiphone black case. 

I am sorry if it was mentioned in the posts below but I couldn't get a solid answer. Maybe I am not looking hard enough...lol.. I just need a solid case but Epiphone to keep my 64 Texan safe.

Thank you in advance.

13 hours ago, David Hayes Sr said:

So which case should I choose specifically for my 1964 Texan? I've been searching this sight for their specific model and I want an Epiphone black case. 

I am sorry if it was mentioned in the posts below but I couldn't get a solid answer. Maybe I am not looking hard enough...lol.. I just need a solid case but Epiphone to keep my 64 Texan safe.

Thank you in advance.

Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Sweetwater Music, or Sam Ash Music has all kinds of  hard shell Dreadnaught or round shouldered Jumbo acoustic guitar cases that will fit an Epiphone Texan model.  Check out their websites and then reach out to one of their on-line or telephone  reps.  They should be able to help you.  The Texan is considered a Jumbo sized guitar which is the counterpart to a square shouldered dreadnaught sized guitar.  A Jumbo or the Dreadnaught  hard shell size case should fit either.  

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff