Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special II PickGuard

MikeSalZap

Hi, a regular LP pickguard will not fit on a Special II - the volume knob is much further forward than on a 4 knob LP. The pickguard could be modified to go around or under the knob. It would probably have to be mounted flat on the body to avoid fouling the volume knob - maybe double sided tape or similar.

cheers

7C

• 3 months later...

I put a normal size lp pickguard on my epi spec 2 and it looks awesome. Just sand around where the pickguard goes around the pickups, snip the pickguard around the volume knob, and slide the volume knob back on and you wont be able to see where you cut. Put two sided sticky tape underneath and enjoy. Check out my site for info and pics

http://www.211custompickguards.webs.com

can i put a Pickguard to a Les Paul Special II' date=' and how do i put it,

i try to put but i didnt know how to put it, i need one special or something, i need to drill???(hope not)

please help[/quote']

PAGING 'TWANG'... the man with the answers!

eggmuffins

Here's a picture I found of a Special II for sale, which has had a pickguard added. Looks as though they've cut out a round section of the pickguard to clear the control knob, or maybe the pickguard goes beneath the knob.

130798156_full.jpg

You could do something Gretsch styled, and cut the pickguard off short. Like this.

BillyBoFGront.jpg?t=1274410451

I can make one of those for you. custom shaped, too.

We'd have to get your pickup spacing measured.. and find the distance to that front knob, as you can see.

I personally think swoops design is the best of them.. leave it flat to the top and cut out around the volume knob.

looks more lp and doesn't interfere.

Also, a modified SG shape might be way cool on the special..

another thing is just make it shorter.. use the lp full shape but shortened a bit.. so you don't have the knob curve cut into it.

for me, there's no reason to not have it flat.. it will look just fine flat.

but you can use a bracket, too. I even have 'em.

My lp guards are 10.00 any color shipped in the lower 48 and custom work not extra at all.

Probably we'd get measurements and I'd make one of thick paper. mail it to you and see how it fits.

I can see using a pickguard if you care about the finish on the guitar (hence the word "guard"). At this point, personally I think the dc and blue guitar would be much better looking without the pg's.

I was curious as to what a shortened pickguard like Twang mentioned would look like so I did this real quick with Paint so you can have an idea. I would use a double sided tape that will come off clean, but even those might affect the finish after awhile. Tape is the better way of attaching it I think because you might want to take it off one day and you'll be thinking, "How can I fill those screw holes?" Plus if it's gonna be a custom pg there's no need for the screw and bracket holes on the pg. But if you are going to leave it on forever then a bracket adds a lot to the look. tough decision.

ps don't miss Twang's post above

above130798156_full.jpg

bracket angle can be adjusted low and that would look good.

the pic is ok, I'd cut it a little more LP shaped but that's a good way to envision it.

I'd start the bit next to the bridge pup just a tick higher. put some curve in it to the outside edge then round the point.

If I had good dimensions you wouldn't need tape or screws.

I can make it fit the mounting rings so tight you have to slide it on from the bottom and once there it would be very hard to knock off.

After looking at GL's and Swoops..... I'd personally have to

go with this one' date=' any "cut-out" would be hidden by Vol Knob.

As an option, I like it![/quote']

yeah me too, it looks better imo

I can make one of those for you. custom shaped' date=' too.

We'd have to get your pickup spacing measured.. and find the distance to that front knob, as you can see.

I personally think swoops design is the best of them.. leave it flat to the top and cut out around the volume knob.

looks more lp and doesn't interfere.

Also, a modified SG shape might be way cool on the special..

another thing is just make it shorter.. use the lp full shape but shortened a bit.. so you don't have the knob curve cut into it.

for me, there's no reason to not have it flat.. it will look just fine flat.

but you can use a bracket, too. I even have 'em.

My lp guards are 10.00 any color shipped in the lower 48 and custom work not extra at all.

Probably we'd get measurements and I'd make one of thick paper. mail it to you and see how it fits.

[/quote']

Mike,

Pay heed here young Noob... TWANG is a highly respected Epi-head & creator of Pickguard Perfection!

eggmuffins

I like the pic chosen too. but man. it's hard to get that right from long distance.

I'd pretty much insist on making a mock up and sending it for a positive perfect match.

If it was just a pencil line off here or there it wouldn't look that good for sure.

But what the heck an extra wait for delivery and a postage stamp.

and stop talking because the more I look at it.. the more thinkamifying...

how about a dano type that runs all the way back over the controls..?

you know.. it'd have a pointy part at the cutaway.. then follow the lower bout around the controls..

ok I'll shut up.

Archived