Gibson Brands Forums

Something better than ValveJr

Hamish

Hello , i have had my ValveJr for a while now and i was wondering what could be next step up from this ?

As i was told when i first thought of buying ValveJr they said it would be mushy and more and more i play it and after different songs i play the sound seems to seem to me more and mushy and dark..

So if someone knew of a nice amp (not too expensive naturally) that is good for hard rock and blues (which im starting to enjoy more and more [confused] ) then would be nice to know i've had my eyes on these for moment.

Jet city:

http://www.thomann.de/fr/jet_city_amplification_20h.htm

Blackheart:

http://www.thomann.de/fr/blackheart_handsome_devil_head_bh15h.

Blackstar:

http://www.thomann.de/fr/blackstar_ht5_head.htm

So i guess im looking for a nice brit amp for rock and blues tone [cool]

The amps you listed aren't really a big step up from a VJ, they are all budget amps. If you have a VJ and don't think its good enough, one of those will only disappoint you as well I think. Save up more and try to get in the $1000 range, your ears will thank you.

Hello ' date=' i have had my ValveJr for a while now and i was wondering what could be next step up from this ?

[/quote'] Add a $30 Danelectro Fish and Chips 7 band equalizer pedal [confused]:-k[confused] Makes a big difference for small $$$ .... imho[biggrin]

Better yet, just rebuild your Valve Junior. Now that's what I call a SERIOUS step up. And when your done, you can keep on exploring and steppin' higher and build yourself other amps in whatever style you want. :-k

Sure works for me. :-({|=

Gil...

I was gonna buy a second hand Boss-SD1 if that might improve my sound , but then if you think a 1000£ price range for an amp is really worth it then i better start saving :-({|=

And about this rebuilding ? Where can i get this done i have no experience in electronics and all

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Europe you have to check out Laney amps if you want that classic British tone.

http://www.laney.co.uk/

Take a look at the VC range...

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_type.php?tid=9

I gigged with a VC30 when I lived in the UK. Amazing amp...sounded better than a Vox in my opinion, and the reverb was just sublime...

Unfortunately you hardly ever see a Laney in the US (at least I don't!) - but I believe they are creeping in - I know the recent Lionheart range was sold over here.

EG00829.jpg

If you're interested in rebuilding your amp, check out SEwatt.com and the FAQ. From there, you can find pretty much anything and everything you need to know to be able to do it yourself. Also check out turretboards.com for boards for the VJr. They have blank boards for the hardcore DIY'rs, and even prebuilt boards in various styles (vox/marshall/fender/supro) ready to install.

Gil...

Better yet' date=' just rebuild your Valve Junior. Now that's what I call a SERIOUS step up. And when your done, you can keep on exploring and steppin' higher and build yourself other amps in whatever style you want. :-k

Sure works for me. :-

Gil...

[/quote'] That's my next step [wink] Soldering iron is on my birthday list ( early Feb), and have been hanging out at sewatt for months learning what I need and guessing what I want. Decisions, decisions....

If you're interested in rebuilding your amp' date=' check out SEwatt.com and the FAQ. From there, you can find pretty much anything and everything you need to know to be able to do it yourself. Also check out turretboards.com for boards for the VJr. They have blank boards for the hardcore DIY'rs, and even prebuilt boards in various styles (vox/marshall/fender/supro) ready to install.[/quote']

Even better - get a Fender Super Champ XD, Valve Senior (must plug, have those) Blackheart or Laney, and then go to Sewatt and mod the heck out of your VJr.

I just got a blackstar ht5 head last week and wow!

Awesome rock tones from it. Louder than the epi valve junior too and pretty versatile imo.

I also own a Tiny terror (Orange) which is also a great amp but im not keen on its lead sound as much as the blackstar but it nails crunch the best ive heard and its such a thick sounding amp also. the TT on the 7watt setting is alot louder than the blackstar also.

Im gonna run them together to get a massive thick sound!!!

well a few questions first

do you have the combo or the head .

does it still have the stock tubes in it

now if you have the combo git a speaker cab . and if you have the stock tubes retube it i used a JJ in the power section and a nos brit made westinghouse 12ax7 long plate in the preamp but JJ tubes makes a great long plate 12ax7 and that preamp tube made a huge improvement over the stock pre it improved the tone and the headroom as did the poweramp tube

and depending on the tone you are looking for a good stomp box would be a good thing also overdrive and a eq would be good boss pedals are good but check out the Artec line of pedals i have had good luck with them my self there all true bypass and well made . also what im going to do is using to VJ heads. ill give you a link to my home page and yo can hear how my VJ sounds

www.eurotubes.com

home page

I hope this helps

Slim

Archived