Gibson Brands Forums

EQ Pedal Recommendation

I was recently looking for amps on craigslist and stumbled across a solid state Yamaha G50, which has what they are calling a parametric equalizer. Instead of adjusting the volume of three separate high/mid/low bands, you adjust a single band by moving its center frequency and width. I've played around with filters like that in recording software like Garage Band and wouldn't mind having something similar in pedal-form. Does anyone know of any pedals like that? If not, I'm considering building one based on the G50's schematics.

Brandon

Hi Brandon' date='

It just so happens I have a 1983 DOD Equalizer pedal I'm thinking of putting up for sale. 82 or 83 was one of the first EQs for them. It's quiet and built like a tank. Let me know what you want to do before I put it up on the Bay. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by doing this. [/quote']

Uh, well, I'm not sure whether that's what I'm looking for. Isn't it a multiband (like 7 bands maybe) graphic equalizer? I'm looking for a single-band bandpass filter with controls for just center frequency, band width and possibly level.

Unfortunately Parametric EQs seem very unpopular in pedalform, while I think potentially they could be the ultimate tone weapon in anyone's rig. Most of the PEQ pedals out there, are really just semi-parametric. Meaning you can set the frequency, and wether it dips or peaks. A true PEQ would also allow you to set "shelving"or "Q", which is how the selected dip or peakfrequency "rolls" off(or not) to the original signal. In other words how much the frequencies surrounding your selected peakfrequency, are influenced.

The reissue of a TC Electronics Sustain+ Parametric Equalizer comes to mind, and is still available for a relative decent price. It doubles as a compressor and comes with 2 pre-selected shelving types.

Any old discontinued PEQ from Carl Martin or TC is worth snatching up up if you happen to see one on craigslist. These are studioquality effects and even in used form might not come cheap. If you're on a budget you might want to try the Artec.

If you want to roll your own you might wanna have a look at the old Pearl OD-5 overdrive schematic. While the pedal itself was on the flimsy side, the true(!) PEQ-section served as an outstanding soloboost.

Boss made a pedal called the Metal Zone. it's a distortion pedal with a semi-parametric mid control (you can sweep the frequency center but there is no width adjustment) while the high and low are the standard tone controls. Though made for early or "old school" metal it is quite useful for tone shaping and the distortion is usable at lower levels.

edited to clarify "semi-parametric"

Artec makes a pedal like you are looking for i dont have this one myself but there other pedals i have work great and are true bypass and built well .check on ebay thats where i got mine hope this helps

Slim

So, any idea where to actually BUY an Artec? : ) It looks like their PEQ might be my best option but no one carries them, even on eBay.

Archived