Gibson Brands Forums

Humbuckers: Covered vs. Uncovered

vern_s

Here’s a quote from my Gibson owners manual:

“In addition, some Les Paul’s have humbuckers without the metal cover pieces, which result in a hotter signal.

I here a lot of “that classic Les Paul tone!” do you think that the uncovered pups divert from this infamous tone that so many quest for?

I removed the covers on my LP a couple of months after I first bought it. It's been years, but what I noticed wasn't a "hotter" signal but just a slight shift in high frequencies; it wasn't a big difference or even all that noticeable, but it was a change. I took the covers off not to change the tone but because the damned things squealed with microphonic feedback when playing with death-from-above amp settings; removing the covers fixed it.

A black LP Custom with the covers looks a little too formal to me plus I'm not too crazy about gold hardware to begin with. I like mine better without the covers:

lp1.jpg

More pics

I removed the covers on my LP a couple of months after I first bought it. It's been years' date=' but what I noticed wasn't a "hotter" signal but just a slight shift in high frequencies; it wasn't a big difference or even all that noticeable, but it was a change. I took the covers off not to change the tone but because the damned things squealed with microphonic feedback when playing with death-from-above amp settings; removing the covers fixed it.

[img']http://www.richci.com/images/lp1.jpg[/img]

More pics

Was it hard to do?

I would TOTALLY do that, it looks way better wo covers.

No, it was easy. I just unscrewed the pups from the rings and there are two solder points on the bottom where the covers attach to the pickups. Just be sure to use a soldering iron that's meant for electronics that isn't too hot (low wattage); all you need to do is melt a couple of beads and you don't want to melt the potting or coating on the wires.

Archived