Gibson Brands Forums

Newbe question about Sheraton

SPY

Hi, I have just received my new sheraton, with serial 09101501713. In the Back there is a stick that is written made in china. When i give the serial in the guitar dater project display the following:

Guitar Info

Serial number unrecognized

Show Serial Number Breakdown

Factory Identifier 09

Year 10

Month 15

Production Number 01713

As far as I know there in no month 15. Is my sherry fake?

Thanks in advance

Hi SPY-

Congrats on the Sheraton, I long for one of these. Most new epis don't have a factory letter as most are now made in the dedicated Qingdao factory in China, so your code means your guitar was manfactured on October 15, 2009, production number 01713.

-Cal

My girlfriend's father picked up a new Sheraton over the holidays, and it is a thing of beauty. It plays really smooth. The only problem he has had is the washer/nut on his output jack keeps coming loose. I've heard many people argue the Korean/Chinese quality points many times. I think you just have to play it and see how it sounds and feels. Over time, various different factories and third-party makers have produced instruments with the Epiphone name, some good, some not. I think for some of the older ones - say 8+ years - that there may have been a noticeable difference, but it seems as quality control is getting better now and the Chinese ones seem solid. It you love it, it's great!

I got a new Sheraton on Jan. 2 , and I can't say enough good things about it. Looks , feel, sound , playability, excellent !

However the guitar I tried at the shop had problems in the workmanship, volume and tone pots at different heights, bad

spot in the lacquer, etc. So the salesman told me to take it home and he would order me another one. Two weeks later

the guitar came in and everything was perfect. I took it down to my guitar tech , he checked out from top to bottom , put

a slight relief in the neck , my preference , and handed it back to me. I asked if I needed to do anything else and he said

take it home and play it. The serial number on both guitars is the same as yours with different ranking of course. The

ranking between the two was only 11 units. The only difference was the second one had a silver Inspected in USA by

Epiphone , sticker the first one did not have the inspection sticker, just a small one saying made in China.

Archived