Gibson Brands Forums

05' Epi SG Maestro Question?

Gasman

I have been throwing around the idea of changing out the Grover Tuners for plastic knob Klusons. Just to make the guitar look more period correct. Has anybody done this? I realize I would have to drill a second hole - But was wondering if the bottom existing hole would line up with the Kluson tuner.

Thanks Gasee

I did this to two G-400s. One is an 05 with a Maestro. I put a set of Grover Vintage Green Keystones on it. Just a little bit of the bottom hole wasn't covered. I also did this to another G-400 using as set of GFS Kluson style tuners. The bottom holes on these lined up perfectly and I only needed to drill 6 more holes. The kluson style and Kluson tuners have an 8mm shaft. The hole in the G-400 is 100mm, so you will need to get a larger bushing, not a big deal.

I went with the Grovers instead of Gibson because they were cheaper, and the Gibsons are made my Grover anyhow.

Grovers Vintage Green Keystones. If you look at the bottom of the tuner you will see a little bit of the hole, but it isn't really noticable from a few feet.

SG002-1.jpg

SG003.jpg

GFS Kluson style tuners. The holes lined up perfectly, I can't say this will be true for the actual Kluson tuners.

G-400headstockback.jpg

G-400headstock.jpg

Not to discredit JC's information or anything, but you might also like to consider Wilkinson tuners.

I purchased a set of these Wilkinson Kluson style tuners from this EBay seller, as have many others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkinson-Deluxe-Tuners-Bell-Style-GOLD_W0QQitemZ390148016954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad6a24b3a

Of course I purchased a set of nickel ones. These replaced the stock Grovers on my Les Paul, and are every bit as good. They're smooth and precise, and look fantastic. They might have just a 14:1 ratio in comparison to the stock Grover 18:1, but they're every bit as stable.

What's more, the bottom hole lined up perfectly with the original Grover hole, so it was simply a matter of drilling a new hole in the top, and you have a completely factory appearance. I'm sure you'll agree too that the price is insanely good, but don't let that fool you into thinking these are poor quality, because they're far from it.

Here's how they look on my LP

DSC00755.jpg?t=1264798898

DSC00763.jpg?t=1264798991

As you can see, they look like they were always meant to be there

They aren't the snot green that most people seem to go for, but a very nice creamy colour, which will surely look even better after they age a bit. Just thought I'd present them as a cheaper alternative. If you can live without the Gibson or Grover name on the back of them, and the humble Wilkinson name instead, I'm sure you'll love them.

Remember too, you'll need conversion bushings when fitting the vintage tuners, as they have a press in bushing. The pegholes for more modern Grover tuners are larger, so you need to purchase some conversion bushings, you can get them from GFS, in order to fit the vintage tuners.

Thanks Swoop - I know the Wilkinson's are very good Tuners. I ordered a know name set off of ebay a few days back. I wished I saw your post earlier. They are a Great price. I purchased mine on the looks of the knobs - Creamy and more vintage looking like you described above. Thanks Much! Why I was at it I ordered a set of Pointers for the knobs.

Gasee

BkQVziQCGkKGrHqEH-CMEs827kJoBLW0tYp.jpg

Well I recieved the Tuners today - And would'nt you know it they are snot green! So they won't be going on. At this point I might just keep the Grovers. Not really happy - After shipping them back (if I do) the cost won't be worth it.

Gasee

Well I recieved the Tuners today - And would'nt you know it they are snot green! So they won't be going on. At this point I might just keep the Grovers. Not really happy - After shipping them back (if I do) the cost won't be worth it.

Gasee

together2a.jpg

PM me, I might take them off your hands.

Might need an extra laying around in case of accidents.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived