Gibson Brands Forums

I got a Hummingbird

Malpaso

I got a hummingbird over a week ago.

My old acoustic was a lot easier to play.

I love the new Hummingbird but the strings are massive!!!

I have ordered some ernie ball medium earthwood strings 13- 56's does anyone think they will make any difference to my poor fingers??

I think H'birds come from the factory with 12's on so gong to 13's will make it harder to play (thicker strings-more tension) and some say that 13's can cause problems with the structure of the guitar.

I have an H'bird which I treated to a bone nut and saddle and I string it with Elixir Phos Bronze 12's and it plays great and it sings!

Enjoy your bird

All the best, Matt

The Hummingbird I bought last July probably came with 12's, but were dead as dead could be - they were actually rusty. The action was really high, too so I had them put on a new set of strings (12's) and lower the action before I walked out of the store with it. (I don't know what the string height was before they worked on it, but it was really high - it came from the factory like that).

I got a hummingbird over a week ago.

My old acoustic was a lot easier to play.

I love the new Hummingbird but the strings are massive!!!

I have ordered some ernie ball medium earthwood strings 13- 56's does anyone think they will make any difference to my poor fingers??

you might consider taking it to a shop for a setup, if the action is too high it can be a world of hurt on your fingers too.

• 10 months later...

Archived