Gibson Brands Forums

Waste of a good guitar?

Ice & Honey Lover

At the moment i am looking at getting my first Gibson les paul but I am wondering if with the amp i had would it be a waste of money. I have a Vox valvetronix AD30VT with it being a modelling amp i didn't know if it would be a waste of the guitar?

I know that most people are going to say get a valve amp but i only play in my bed room so i can't turn it up and get the tubes nice and hot.

Also if you know of any amps that sound good at low volume that would be great.

Well, I wouldn't call it a waste as you'll still have a very nice guitar to play no matter what you plug it into, but it sure won't be living up to it's potential.

I'd look for a silver face Fender Champ. At around 5 watts, they're still pretty loud for apartment dwelling but you can still get a nice clean tone out of them at moderate levels; if you want dirt and cranking it up isn't an option, there are some very nice overdrive pedals out there (I like the Analogman King of Tone with my Champ). One could argue that the dirt box negates the tubes but the Champ has a tube rectifier which gives you some nice tube sag if not overdrive even at low volumes.

A lot of people will talk about the black face models of Fender amps from the 60's being superior to the silver faces of the 70's which is true of the bigger models like the Deluxe. What a lot of them don't realize is that the Champ's circuit was never changed by CBS and is the same as the black face but will cost you a LOT less. I have a black face one but bought it for less than practical reasons - it was made the same year I was born. Expect to spend around $350 for a silver face Champ on Ebay which is a darned good deal considering you're getting a tough as nails, hand wired Fender amp for around the same price as you'll pay for a cheap new 15w PCB amp. The only modifications you might have to do is replace the speaker or have it reconed if it has issues and replace the two prong plug if it doesn't already have a grounded one.

First, let me say I'm honored that you seem to appreciate my corny attempt at humor that I posted months ago. biggrin.gif/

As far as the LP and AD30VT, I don't think it would be a total waste of the guitar. But, I have the AD50VT and find that the only settings that preserve the natural tone of my LP are the left most settings: Boutique Clean through AC30. All the higher gain amp models alter the tone IMO.

The VOX amp will be fine for what you're doing. Nothing wrong with modeling amps plus they can be a lot of fun. Eventually you may want something different but that's only natural. Take some time to save up again for a new amp later on if you think it's necessary.

I have the AD50VT and find that the only settings that preserve the natural tone of my LP are the left most settings: Boutique Clean through AC30. All the higher gain amp models alter the tone IMO.

I've found that abit but I'm using a modded epi Black beauty at the moment and it sounds great clean but loses the tone when i crank it. The only problem is that i love hard rock so i lose the tone from the pick up i added. Do you think if i put a OD pedal through the boutique clean i could get a better tone or am i better going the more expensive route that RichCI suggested?

There are actually some pretty nice solid state practice amps out there. I think one of the best ones right now is the Vox Pathfinder 15R Guitar Amplifier - 8 Inch, 15 Watts, with Reverb Item #: VOX V9168R. for a solid state amp this amp is really good. You can also get a really nice sound from it. It doesn't have all those modulations built into it either so it can be played pretty clean.

My step dad collects vintage amps so im a little spoiled. I play through a Fender princton, Deluxe Reverb, Twin, Champ, Bronco, Bassman, Traynor (poor mans marshall), and a bunch of other tube amps. Obviously the Vox won't be as good as any of those but it is definitly the best amp for your situation.

This amp has no problem getting loud if you wanted to though. i have used it with drummers and it keeps up fine. i highly recomend this amp my lp sound pretty damn good through it. It's not that expensive either it cost about 120 dollars. If you are looking for a cheap practice amp this is the one to get.

regarding the OP, i ask myself the same question bc i never had a reason to get a 30-100w but i don't know if my lp deserves something like my pathetic amp lol. i feel like it's a lamborghini driving on KIA wheels. right now i'm lookin around for a 30w to tie me over until i can get a completely unnecessary half-stack marshall or some crazy setup that will just waste away in my room rather than on stage somewhere

regarding the OP' date=' i ask myself the same question bc i never had a reason to get a 30-100w but i don't know if my lp deserves something like my pathetic amp lol. i feel like it's a lamborghini driving on KIA wheels. right now i'm lookin around for a 30w to tie me over until i can get a completely unnecessary half-stack marshall or some crazy setup that will just waste away in my room rather than on stage somewhere [/quote']

You don't need a lot of power to get a good tone from an amp, you just need a good amp. I own several amps with various amounts of power for whatever it is that I need (although, all of them are overpowered in every situation...). I keep an old Fender Champ (5 watts) at my girlfriend's apartment which can't be totally cranked up there, I keep a Fender Blues Junior (15 watts) at my place which is too loud as well but at least it has a master volume control and I use a Mesa Stiletto Deuce (100 watts) and 2x12 cab with my band and never take the master volume much over 9 o'clock because the amp is just insanely loud.

Ideally, I'd like an amp for home use that is around 1 watt and something in the range of 25-30 watts to use with my band. I have some under consideration, but money is tight right now and I'm doing fine with what I have for now.

Buy the Lester. You will be amazed at how much tone it will give you, even out of your current amp.

Yes, you can use a solid state amp/ pedals to get a good tone. If you like metal, get an MT-2, but be aware that they are not lying about the massive gain on that pedal. If you are gonna play in your bedroom, and insist on a half stack, get the Marshall MG series, as it has a headphone jack. But.....

Frankly, though, I play through a Blues Jr. in my living room and get GREAT tone. (OK.. I am getting closer to getting GREAT tone.) My honest advice would be to get your LP and learn to use it . This is not a slam at your skills... it is like going to a standard shift from an automatic. While you learn the subtle nuances of your LP, you can save for a better amp.... trust me, it will be much easier to establish good tone when you are not learning a new guitar and amp simultaneously.

A Champ is a great little amp but that Vox you have isn't bad and, like I said, it wouldn't be a "waste" to play a Les Paul through it. If it were me, I'd go for the guitar first but I don't know your situation.

Just to qualify where I'm coming from, I'm 41 years old, make decent money in my career (not music) and have been playing for over 25 years. So, I have some disposable income and have had a long time to accumulate some nice gear. When I was your age, I was playing a used Ibanez guitar through a used early 70's Fender Deluxe - an amp that could be bought for dirt back then. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't have nice gear or anything, just that you're considering buying another low powered practice amp to replace a somewhat low powered amp and that you'd be better served by having a good instrument to play. Sure, the Champ sounds great and might inspire you at home but you and whoever you have over to your house are the only people who will ever hear it unless you decide to do some recording with it. Later on, you might decide that you want to play with other people and that money you spent on the Champ could be used towards a more powerful amp and you'd already have a nice guitar; the 30w Vox might even be enough to keep up with a drummer anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I, and probably just about everyone else here, has been down the road of looking for a quick, affordable fix when we couldn't yet afford what we really wanted (sometimes we still do it...) and I think you'd be happier in the long run if you saved up your money to get what you really want which, presumably, is a Les Paul.

Archived