Gibson Brands Forums

A couple of questions about tuners?

Hi

I have got my my three Epi's and have noticed that one of my Sheratons is just not staying in tune as well as my other two Epiphones (+1 Sheri and a JP).

1) Can you service the tuners, will it help if I just tighten everything up?

2) If I do have to change the tuners on the Sherri I will probably go chrome has anyone used GFS tuners I like the look of these...

yhst-50206111187217_2087_22182634

http://store.guitarfetish.com/fusichgrimst.html

Would they be a straight replacement for a Sheraton...?

1) Some tuners have a hole you can re-lube them via, however you shouldn't need to do that in a guitar's typical useful life time. Tuning issues are also quite often caused by strings binding in the nut; there's a ton of info here and elsewhere about this so I won't go over it again.

2)I have a set of GFS lockers on my strat, and I think the best description is: they are tuners. They aren't grovers or sperzels or what-have-you, but they aren't bad.

I'm going to agree with the others on the tuners not being the problem.

Most likely it is a nut that is binding, or bridge saddles that are not smooth.

Bad strings happen, but they are a bit of a rarity.

However, having said all that, it could be one of those very rare times that a tuner is not holding.

You can adjust the tension of a tuner. The small screw at the end of the tuner button is

actually a tension setting screw, as well as holding the button on.

If you look closely there is a small nylon spacer on the body end of the button.

When you turn this screw in, it tightens against the washer increasing tension.

Conversely, if a tuner seems very hard to turn, loosen the screw a bit to decrease tension.

You can adjust the tension of a tuner. The small screw at the end of the tuner button is

actually a tension setting screw' date=' as well as holding the button on.

If you look closely there is a small nylon spacer on the body end of the button.

Conversely, if a tuner seems very hard to turn, loosen the screw a bit to decrease tension.

[/quote']

Now that's an interesting fact, I was 100% unaware of that. Good to know! [thumbup]

Gord wrote:

I'm going to agree with the others on the tuners not being the problem.

Most likely it is a nut that is binding, or bridge saddles that are not smooth.

Bad strings happen, but they are a bit of a rarity.

However, having said all that, it could be one of those very rare times that a tuner is not holding.

actually a tension setting screw, as well as holding the button on.

You see that is what I love about this forum.

I'll make sure all is tightened up correctly.

I am not sure about the relationship between the tuner button screws to the internal mechanism is.......also I have not changed the strings on that guitar since I bought second hand......also I will pop the bridge off and lube it and check the saddles. I think the nut is fine, but will double check......thanks guys.

I am thinking about going all chrome on this guitar in the future anyway. and if I do, for the price I might as well try a set of those chrome imperials, they would look beautiful on my 87 Sherri...

Archived