Gibson Brands Forums

Project Joan Jett Melody Maker has commenced.

duane v

Below is a project mock-up of the Gibby Joan Jett MM I recently purchased from the wonderful folks at SweetWater for $669

Mods are as follows:

Nickel 1982 Gibson Stamped Kahler w/locking nut (brand new in box)

1973 SG100 neck single coil pup with new embossed pup cover. At Curtis Novac for a Jeff Beck / Jimi Hendix rewind

1974-75 bridge Gibson PAF with a 72 nickel embossed pup cover being rewound for more crunch at VintageVibeGuitars.

70's nickel Gibson stamped tulip style tuners

Will post pictures when its completed.

jjmmv2.jpg

Cool. [confused]

One suggestion: Why don't you go for Sperzel locking tuners instead of the lock nut? They work just as well if the nut is lubricated, and you wouldn't have to (potentialy) weaken the head stock, by installing the lock nut.

But it IS your guitar. Do as you please.

Cool. [confused]

One suggestion: Why don't you go for Sperzel locking tuners instead of the lock nut? They work just as well if the nut is lubricated' date=' and you wouldn't have to (potentialy) weaken the head stock, by installing the lock nut.

But it IS your guitar. Do as you please.[/quote']

thanx..

BTW, you're the third person that's suggested using locking tuners instead of the locking nut..... I'm seriously going to weigh my choice on this matter more deeply..... Thanks for the advice[thumbup]

thanx..

BTW' date=' you're the third person that's suggested using locking tuners instead of the locking nut..... I'm seriously going to weigh my choice on this matter more deeply..... Thanks for the advice[thumbup']

Duane, I have locking tuners on all my guitars, and I am a big fan.

They remove all those windings we hear all the questions about, and like

one of the previous posters said, they can be installed without much work.

If you use a graphtech, or at least a well lubed nut, you will never have any tuning problems.

I just looked at the Sperzel website and I didn't see the the tulip peg offering' date=' which I really like...... I'm going to check the Schaller site if they have a locking tuners[/quote']

I think you should call Sperzel because from what I've been told they deal directly with you and will pretty much cater to your need prior to purchase. I.E. They'll work hard to fill the order to your exacting spec.

I talked to my Luthier, and he told me to go with the locking nut. For a vibrola/Bigsby type tremolo's the locking tuners are fine, but for a tremolo like a floyd or kahler you need the locking nut.

So I guess I'm drilling holes in the headstock[biggrin]

That should be a sweet axe when it's finished. I've always liked the old Melody Makers, they don't weigh much (less than my Epi Jr) but have a nice "warm" sound with good pickups. I have a '78 MMD and LOVE it! It has Epiphone pups in it, a '57CH and a HOTCH with 500 ohm pots. The '57CH has a singing tone to it much like the Gibson Les Pauls I've owned and the HOTCH is just that. HOT! I play hard rock and it's great for it, plus the neck is really nice!

here's a mini mock-up

I'm going for that mid-70's look (but with a Gibson Kahler)..... I'm patiently waiting for my rewound 76 PAF and embossed pup cover from vintagevibeguitars so I can start the routing[biggrin]

P2060109m.jpg

Looks good! I had a '78 Gibson LP Custom once that had the same Kahler tremolo on it. I got it for like $450 from Eugene's Guitars in Dallas because it wouldn't stay in tune, but a little graphite on the nut solved that problem! Stayed in tune real well after that!

What Zebra pickup is in the photo?

Looks good! I had a '78 Gibson LP Custom once that had the same Kahler tremolo on it. I got it for like $450 from Eugene's Guitars in Dallas because it wouldn't stay in tune' date=' but a little graphite on the nut solved that problem! Stayed in tune real well after that!

What Zebra pickup is in the photo?[/quote']

thanks[cool]

The pickup is a "Gibson Burstbucker 3 zebra humbucker, slightly overwound with asymmetrical coils, unpolished Alnico II magnets." It's gone and so are the tuners and the bridge.

Duane' date=' I had not seen a close up of the finish on the Jett MM. Thought it was a solid white, not a more washed finish. I like it more and more!

Sheila[/quote']

It takes a little getting used to, but I like it now..... The fretboard and neck are just fantastic[blink]

*Update*

Had one of our machinist do the routing since my Luthier is on tour.

P2110115b.jpg

Sorta worried here[blink] .... We had to castrate part of the tenon *OUCH*.... But I went ahead and added some gorilla glue to the crevices.

P2110116b.jpg

An image with the parts mounted... I still have to wire up everything.... I thought I lost the "TONE" label on one of the witch-hats... But found it...thank god[blink]

P2110118b.jpg

Close up

P2110119b.jpg

Switched out the stock PING tuners and went with some 72 Gibson tuners.... I'm waiting on the nickel tulip pegs from Schaller..... Man that was like pulling teeth to get those[blink]

P2110120b.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender

my '07 dual pup melody maker is in for an overhall to make it the most versatile and heavily played guitar in my arsenal.

I even have plans of getting a single pup version. I love the single coils, but far too noisy to crank/force overdrive out of a tube amp.

If the pups were reverse wound then the middle would be hum canceling and id be a happy camper.

I love the work, duane!

my '07 dual pup melody maker is in for an overhall to make it the most versatile and heavily played guitar in my arsenal.

I even have plans of getting a single pup version. I love the single coils' date=' but far too noisy to crank/force overdrive out of a tube amp.

If the pups were reverse wound then the middle would be hum canceling and id be a happy camper.

I love the work, duane![/quote']

thanx[cool]

Those are my plans with this guitar as well. We start working on a 7 song CD next month, and I only want to use two electrics and one acoustic. I'm too old to be hauling stuff[biggrin]

Archived