Gibson Brands Forums

Project Joan Jett Melody Maker has commenced.

duane v

I talked to my Luthier' date=' and he told me to go with the locking nut. For a vibrola/Bigsby type tremolo's the locking tuners are fine, but for a tremolo like a floyd or kahler you need the locking nut.

So I guess I'm drilling holes in the headstock[biggrin']

I tend to agree I have had both locking tuners on a strat and lock nut on a floyd rose type trem. The locking nuts are a tad bit more work(getting strings stretched etc.) but in the long run I think they hold tuning better esp. if you use the trem alot. Now breaking strings is a different story but I doubt you have that problem vey often. That's my 2 cents worth. Great looking project we want pics when done of course.

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

There was a minor set back with the Kahler.

Basically my Luthier had to counter bore tailpiece insert holes so that the Kahler could sit lower on the body. He said the action was fine but he had to max out the bridge saddles to get string height low (the way I like it), which hurts the sustain. Basically he's creating more of an angle on the bridge saddle, to increase sustain.

He also trashed the nut, because he said it looked like it was cut by a blind Sou Chef[biggrin] ...... He also said the frets needed to be more uniform.

He liked the fretboard, he was shocked by the ebony species..

Archived