Gibson Brands Forums

Cracked jack surround

Ren

Hi Forum,

The other day I noticed that the cream-coloured plastic surround to the jack plug socket on my late-2007 LP standard is cracked at each of its four corners where the screws go in, as though the screws have been over-tightened. I personally have never touched them.

Has anyone else seen this? Did you just go back to your dealer and ask for a replacement surround?

Thanks for any advice.

I'd go with the bulk discount and buy three of the plastic ones for $.87 each to have some backups rather than pay $7.78 or $8.96 for one metal plate that doesn't match. The chances of a plastic one cracking again are pretty slim outside of over tightening the screws (he's aware of that problem) or banging the guitar pretty hard into something which would probably cause bigger problems than a cracked jack plate.

This is a typical problem of the plastic jack plate. I've been through many of them in the 33 years I've had my LP. Years ago I considered a metal plate. Being the "stock" guy that I am, I just replace them with the cream colored plastic ones. Even if the corners are cracked out, it's only a real problem if the jack plate pulls completely out, this seldom happens.

He can match the plate to his hardware.

That's what I did.

It's a sh!tty piece of plastic, they almost always break at some point.

I kept my plastic ones that did not break yet, threw 'em in the case.

The broken ones went in the trash.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. Glad I'm not the only one. Yes it was a brand new guitar, and I presume it left the factory like this, which as one poster said, is pretty poor really.. oh well.

I realise that Stewmac is a fantastic retailer, but unfortunately I'm in the UK, and I don't have the same faith in Allparts which is the only guitar spares online shop I know (couldn't even tell me what size wrench I'd need for a Strat truss rod!!). Can anyone recommend a good UK retailer for genuine Gibson parts?

cheers, ren

Archived