Gibson Brands Forums

anybody know the model? any good?

dumbasss

Wow what a random looking thing. Looks like someone stuck the neck of an Emperor Regent onto an acoustic body just to see what would happen. Logo on the head seems really out of whack too. Bizarre. Did they really make these I wonder, or is this someone's Frankenguitar... maybe someone else will know more...

Hi' date=' I'm looking for buying a acoustic guitar and I stumbled on this one, but I can't seem to find any decent info on it, except that it is build by Smaick in 1995...

http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziekinstrumenten/akoestische-gitaar/gibson-epyphone-semi-accoustisch-66089374.html?muz_instr=25&qq=&sort=datum_desc

Thanks anyways![/quote']

It is a Howard Roberts:

Epi%20HR%20full.jpg

Someone took the E off the pickguard and put it on the back of the neck. This one is also a 1995 Samick (new tuners). Really nice neck, feels more like a Jazz guitar neck than a acoustic. I used nickel strings, not bronze. Worked better with the mini bucker. Nice guitar, not really a typical acoustic.

It is a Howard Roberts:

Epi%20HR%20full.jpg

Someone took the E off the pickguard and put it on the back of the neck. This one is also a 1995 Samick (new tuners). Really nice neck' date=' feels more like a Jazz guitar neck than a acoustic. I used nickel strings, not bronze. Worked better with the mini bucker. Nice guitar, not really a typical acoustic.[/quote']

Jerrymac your knowledge of guitars amazes me every time I get on this forum. You are like the Yoda of guitars. Jedi master. Lol.

Too bad they didn't grace us with a model number.

Back in the day, either when Norlin was grasping at straws to remain profitable or the new Gibson was trying to generate interest, they made some odd looking instruments. With it's oval sound hole I may be a mid - early 1990's model something or other. Nice looking axe, to say the least.

Too bad they didn't grace us with a model number.

Back in the day' date=' either when Norlin was grasping at straws to remain profitable or the new Gibson was trying to generate interest, they made some odd looking instruments. With it's oval sound hole I may be a mid - early 1990's model something or other. Nice looking axe, to say the least.

[/quote']

TommyK, It's a mid '90s Epiphone Howard Roberts reissue (ETHR) as noted above. The original Epiphone Howard Roberts predates Norlin and were made in the 1960s. When Gibson stopped productions of USA Epiphones in 1970, the Howard Roberts became a Gibson model. Here's a photo of Robbie Robertson playing a Gibson HR:

Brown3.jpg

BTW, this is Howard Roberts:

HREpi.jpg

S_hrgib.jpg

Check out Howard Roberts Guitar Website

Archived