Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG-400 Custom (3 humbuckers)

branny

Hello,

I have had my Epi SG Custom for about 5 years now.

I used to generally play metal, and i found that with a good amount of distortion, the guitar tended to only give out 1 sound regardless of pickup settings. This was fine for metallica style stuff.

I have recently gotten into blues and i like SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer, Clapton style music.

I am having a hard time coming up with a good tone for clean rythmn playing and also for lead playing.

I am getting by with using the Neck Only pickup on 5/10 volume for chordal stuff and bringing in the bridge at full volume for lead lines. The middle pickup is always set to zero.

I use a Line 6 Flextone II amp, which whilst being a modelling amp, i think is actually fairly versatile. Therefore i was wondering if i should uprate my pickups (or at least 1 of them)

Are there are recommended pickups i could fit to get a nice blues crunch sound, whilst maintaining the flexibility of getting good drive for lead.

Further this, i don't want to inhibit metallica type distortion sounds.

Any tips or advice appreciated!

Have you considered trying your guitar through a valve amp? - maybe a friends or at a local store. You will find your pups and tone/volume controls are far more responsive to minor changes of controls or playing attack. You will be able to control the amount of gain and overdrive via your vol control and clean right up and back again!

Good low powered valve amps are so cheap and plentyfull these days and i do think it would give you the sound you are looking for.

^that is a really good idea!

in general what would you recommend? higher or lower for a warmer blues sound?

If your pups are low you will generally get a "thin sound"...

The more you raise your pups the more "oomph" they provide...Experimentation is the key...what sounds like the real deal to me might sound like crap to you...

Try all different heights, as long as the strings do not hit the pup when fretted you should be ok to go...

Dizzy

If you decide to change out any of your pickups, be sure to get pickups with 4 wires. You can then hook the pickup to a push/pull pot and have the ability to swictch from humbucker to single coil, or from series to parallel. You could also modify the existing pickups to do this.

If you decide to change out any of your pickups' date=' be sure to get pickups with 4 wires. You can then hook the pickup to a push/pull pot and have the ability to swictch from humbucker to single coil, or from series to parallel. You could also modify the existing pickups to do this. [/quote']

I was actually going to ask about the possibility of single coil/hb switching.

Show me the mod [biggrin]

perhaps i just need the neck pickup to give single coil capability, then i can use this for strumming and the others for lead.

I have a switch on the bridge pickup of my g400/Les Paul Custom that gives you the choice of running the coils in series or in parallel. When the coils are in parallel the pickup still works as a humbucker, but not as loud. I was able to find a used Dimarzzio P.A.F. type pick up on ebay with four conductor wire for not too much $ (even had a gold cover on it so it would match the others[biggrin]) So I haven't tried to rewire one, but it shouldn't be too hard, if you are comfortable with this type of thing. Here is a link that will show you how:http://www.1728.com/guitar1a.htm

The same page also has info on hooking up coil swichtes. Seymour Duncan also has lots of diagrams in his site.

I took apart the old pickup from from my g-400 to see if it could be done. While it is possible, it is a pretty messy affair to take it all apart to get to the wires. The wax potting is pretty thick, and you need to remove it to get to the wires. After you rewire it, you will then have to re-pot it. Lots of places where a mistake can leave you with a worthless pickup. Not to discourage you but to let you know what your in for, unless you have done this sort of thing or are fearless, you might be better off replacing the pickup with one that has 4 wires already. If funds are tight, you can always get one from GFS, or watch out for one on e-bay.

Archived