Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help deciding LP- Gibson or Epiphone?

sFLsniper

Hey All-

I joined this forum for your input.

I'm a beginner and I'm going to upgrade my guitar. I have the cash for a Gibson satin black studio. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around $800 at my skill level.

I figure you guys would know what to do since you all own Epiphones...

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Well time and experimentation has shown that Epiphones are great bases for modding and the like. Instead of getting an 800 dollar Gibson.

Why don't you save a bit of that 800 and put it into mods like pots, caps, pickups, a new nut, etc.

The money that you save could probably get you a decent tube amp and then you'll be set.

What kind of LP are you pickin' right now?

It is true that Epiphones are good guitars for modding...

...but don't think that you have to modify an Epiphone. I had a G-400 which I kept as stock, and it was still a very good guitar.

An Epi Les Paul Standard will run you about $450 upwards (depending on model/finish etc). With a few bucks for a good set-up, I'd expect it to be a perfectly good player without having to undertake any serious modifications.

Something else to consider...if you are looking for something in Les Paul territory, don't assume that your only choice is "Gibson or Epiphone?" There are other brands to consider, some of which are very good indeed. You'll find a lot of people here are Agile enthusiasts...

Agile-AL2500_F.jpg

...and personally I'm a big fan of the Hagstroms...

3211180232_80f561dc89.jpg

...I guess the most important thing (if you can) is to go to a few guitar stores and find something you like...

I don't want to squizz big brand names here, but you might also consider 'MIJ lawsuit' models (though they're weren't all subject to lawsuit). Burny, Edwards, Greco, Orville/Epiphone Japan. You'll find soulful guitars and faithful replicas - some are even finished with nitro -at a very interesting price.

I don't know where to go try those guitar models out. And being a newbie I'm not confident buying a used guitar. I've always liked Les Paul's since i was a kid because my favorite bands used them.

I'm going to go to GC soon- what flaws should I look out for when picking an Epiphone Les Paul out?

thanks

Yuk, hate to hear the word "flaws"! None! Visually

either it's well built or it has obvious finish defects.

Welllllll, since you're starting out, may I suggest the

following - comes in Black, ALpine White, or Natural Mahogany,

AND has TULIP tuners AND trapezoid fretboard inlays.

Looks EXACTLY like a Gibby Studio for......only $399.00!!!

The lowest price Gib studio is $799.00. I really think you'll be

quite happy woth the EPI. Look at the pics of all 3...

The $$$ savings can be focused torward an amp.

Musicians Friend Link:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=581254

I don't know where to go try those guitar models out. And being a newbie I'm not confident buying a used guitar. I've always liked Les Paul's since i was a kid because my favorite bands used them.

I'm going to go to GC soon- what flaws should I look out for when picking an Epiphone Les Paul out?

thanks

Well...(treading carefully here)...

...some GCs can be excellent, and others not so great...

The most obvious thing I'd look for would be actual damage. Guitars at GC stores get played (a lot). Other than that, look for tone and volume knobs that don't turn properly. Loose input jacks. Listen carefully for any electrical problems whilst you are playing through an amp. Check for string buzz and so on and so forth.

For more esoteric makes of guitar you may do better at the Mom & Pop music stores.

Another thought...if you are pretty keen on an Epiphone, have you considered buying online? Sweetwater are a really good online dealer. See: http://www.sweetwater.com/

Their guitars are always well turned out in my experience / opinion. You could always take an online purchase to a local music store for a set-up if you felt it still needed tweaking.

thanks

Hey dude you gotta play an LP first they are not for everybody. They are heavy and upper fret access is hard or impossible to some players. I think LP's are beautiful instruments and sound great but the playability is subject to the person and as you progress in your playing style you may want to make sure you have comfort at the upper frets. IMO

Hey dude you gotta play an LP first they are not for everybody. They are heavy and upper fret access is hard or impossible to some players. I think LP's are beautiful instruments and sound great but the playability is subject to the person and as you progress in your playing style you may want to make sure you have comfort at the upper frets. IMO

Have to agree. Try it out. I've had 2 SG copies, and lots of folks love 'em.

MY problem was that the SG always felt like the neck was an extra

half a foot longer than on an LP... ???? Possibly due to position of git

when strapped on? I tried, but never could "like" playing one due to

"percieved" extra reach to get to end of neck - felt like I was reaching

out to block a basketball shot...

Hey All-

I joined this forum for your input.

I'm a beginner and I'm going to upgrade my guitar. I have the cash for a Gibson satin black studio. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around $800 at my skill level.

I figure you guys would know what to do since you all own Epiphones...

Thanks in advance!

Brian

If you've got the money then what the heck. Treat yourself to a more expensive guitar. However, I personally would not spend it on a Gibson LP Studio. I don't like their chambered bodies and I have been somewhat unimpressed with them compared to Epi Les Pauls. The only advantage of the Gibson, to me, is that you don't need to think about upgrading hardware and pickups which you might eventually want to do with a regular Epi. However the new Tribute and 1959 Epi LP models have Gibson USA pickups (Burstbuckers or '57 Classics), top quality hardware and better woods (long tenon neck and hard maple cap. You'd never need to upgrade one, they look far nicer than a Gibby Studio and would probably hold their price better as they're a damned good deal to start with.

thanks

The red flag here as we're talking 'bout GC is I'm not confident buying a used guitar

Get some assurence you can return it, if possible, 30 days or whatever they'll agree to.

If this a used Epi from GC, "Houston, we may have a problem here"

Since this is used, this will most likely be an "AS IS" purchase.

My personal suggestion would be to deal directly with the manager, or highest level sales person there. If for some reason, you aren't happy, they will be able to fudge the rules a little.

Happy hunting.

Check out guitarfetish. They have some decent low priced LP clones.

Rondo music has some decent agile LP clones too. The agile's are heavy.

I had an agile 3000 in rootbeer w/tapered neck profile. It played and looked great, nice features, but at 10+ pounds, it felt like a boat anchor. I had to get rid of it.

You can probably pick up a decent epi Lp plus top used for under 5 bills on the bay

If you got the cash the epi tribute LPs are killer!!!.............just my .02 markerdown

YOU ALWAYS PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY!!!!

I agree. I bought a squier strat for my daughter last chrismas. She wanted the pink one so i took it and bought it without trying it. When i tried it at home i found out that the harmonic is way off and the action is high. If i had seen that before i would have asked to have those fixed before i took delivery of the guitar.

I can play the upper frets on the LP a lot easier than on my Squier.

Well on my way in it was pouring rain. I was set on the Epi but the salesmen keeps telling me the Gibson studio is a better deal due to a better made guitar (I think his intentions are right), hard case that's included, and better pickups. He said that I'd probably want to sell the epi for a Gibson in a few years and the resale value is better on the Gibson.

Despite the info he gave me I took the Epi up to the register to pay and I find out that it doesn't come with a gig bag- I thought it did. Also the C.C. machines were down. So I took it as an omen to not buy anything... [confused]

I'm not super interested in buying used mainly due to no warranty.

thanks

Go back and get the Epi if you liked it. Then ask or the store manager and tell him you want to buy the epi and a epi hardshell case if they will give you 10% off. Make sure you are holding a wad of cash in your hand so that he can see that you are serious. If he won't do it then try to find a mom and pop shop. I prefer o support the smaller shops anyway. No offense if you read this Midi-jim.

I think his intentions are right

I believe at a lot of such chains (although I may be wholly wrong' date=') at least part of the salesman's pay is on commission, meaning they'd be better off selling you that expensive Gibson. That's not to say they don't bear your interests in mind, but in that kind of work, your own tend to be a little more important.

I know a couple of guys at my local RockShop will keep a mental fact sheet of every downside to an epiphone guitar and happily rattle them off to you while you try one out. [confused

And as lpfan said, cash, cash, cash.

I believe at a lot of such chains (although I may be wholly wrong' date=') at least part of the salesman's pay is on commission, meaning they'd be better off selling you that expensive Gibson. That's not to say they don't bear your interests in mind, but in that kind of work, your own tend to be a little more important.

I know a couple of guys at my local RockShop will keep a mental fact sheet of every downside to an epiphone guitar and happily rattle them off to you while you try one out. [confused

And as lpfan said, cash, cash, cash.

That's what I said- lol. "You must get a better commision off the Gibson" and of course he got offended.

Archived