Gibson Brands Forums

New to the LP VM Circle

SGFAN

I recently acquired this amazing LP VM. It's an 05'. It's not chambered. The previous owner changed out the black trim for the vintage cream. I installed a set of SD's, a JB/59 combo. She's an amazing player. I have always liked the organic look of the older "The Paul" models, but this VM is a step up from that. Here are some pics...

DSC03878.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

DSC03876.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

Thanks for the kudos on this find. I was actually in the market for a higher end LP with a 60's neck profile, but when I found this one... it was over. I agree with your assessment on the cream trim. I too like the contrast. This guitar has a very organic feel with the mahogany grain coming through versus having a paint and lacquer feel. It was odd for the first 10 minutes, now I like it better than my other "finished" guitars. I like the idea of a matching mahogany head stock... hmmm.

Crap that looks nice! How does she play. Welcome btw.

Just changed my user name from SGFAN to GibbyPlayer... I sold my SG last week.

She plays great. Neck is spot on. I removed the pick guard and the pups are now both black since I changed them out to the JB/59 set. Tone is killer. This VM is spotless. The previous owner took good care of her.

The cream looks good on there. Didn't the vm's have burstbuckers pro to begin with? If so' date=' I'm not sure on the p/u swap.[/quote']

What a great look! I think I'll be leaving mine original for now, but ya never know, a guy might get adventurous one day and customize her a bit. I’m a goldsmith/sculptor/carver and do a lot of work in mammoth ivory so I may incorporate some carved pieces, (nut, trust rod cover, control knobs, selector switch knob) into her one day? As for the Burstbucker Pro pups, I know mine has them installed in her but I’m not sure about the 05’s? I will never switch the pups out on mine, they’re smoke’n!!!

The cream looks good on there. Didn't the vm's have burstbuckers pro to begin with? If so' date=' I'm not sure on the p/u swap.[/quote']

It's possible. I acquired this VM from a forumite on HC. When I got it it had a SD Distortion in the bridge and a Gibson 57 in the neck (as pictured). I like the JB/59 combo in another LP type guitar I own (ESP LTD EC 400AT Goldtop), so that's the combo I went with. It sounds amazing. I don't know what it came with originally.

Archived