Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing a Sheraton...

UncannyXman

As90 wrote:

They dont make them any more so you cant order one and no is selling them while they wait for the prices to go up. There is one on ebay right now for $2000! I paid $1100 for mine Cool

Teegar wrote:

Regarding the Elitists, one just sold on the bay for 1182 USD (which seems like a very good price)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epip...ies?hash=item3a5713a31b

I would not pay $2000 if you can still buy one mint for $1182...........??????

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UncannyXman wrote:

but should I lay down the extra cash to get a pre-1988 Sheraton (aka with the headstock that says Epiphone by Gibson)

http://www.robwesley.com...burst%201988/index.html

I forgot to say if you do choose the 'Epiphone by Gibson" (E-by-G) then don't forget to join the E-by-G owners club....[biggrin]

all information on the post link below.....

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13095

We have 6,212 registered forum members and have had 2,431 visits to E-by-G owners club thread.

and astoundingly........we still only have 3 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

AS90 wrote:

Im still not sure its worth having an owners club for a slightly different headstock?

Nothing to do with the headstock really....... if you read back in the original post.

Also, Jerrymac has raised some of the points in this thread.

It is more to do with serial numbers, and gauging the quality of the first, Korean Samick, post MIJ Sheratons.

The internal construction. and so on. is different and the point of getting a list of the owners, is so we can compare notes and see how these early Samick Sheratons. compare to other Sheratons.

So, not really anything to do with the E-by-G on the headstock, other than, that denotes the 1986-88 post MIJ period.

Hope, that makes things clearer AS90, a sort of small research project into the Korean Sheratons 1986 to 1988.

Musikron wrote:

Joe, does yours have the long neck tenon like mine does? You can tell by looking in the neck pup cavity.

To be totally honest Musikron, I aint got a clue what a "long neck tenon" is, but I think I am going to find out soon...

I took two photos recently when I had the neck pup out maybe you can see from these and explain to me what they are?

P1010246.jpg

P1010245.jpg

Thats the bridge pup there Joe!

I don't have acces to mine at the moment, but the neck tenon is the joint where the neck attaches to the body. The tenon is the part of the neck which fits inside the body. You can judge it by looking at how far it protrudes into the body. Look at this site for a pic to compare to.

TENONS

Musikron wrote:

Thats the bridge pup there Joe!

Had both out but just took photos of the bridge thought you might have been able to tell from that as I have no clue what it is I should be looking for.

Edit: Right what I will do is take a look at both my sherri's later and take a couple of photos of what is inside the neck cavities.

OK took the neck pup out of the E-by-G.........................Is this short or long....................and what is the significance......

Alright I see the wood for the trees now thanks to AS90's two examples, thanks AS.

See this is why it is good to cross reference with my E-by-G owner Musikron.

I would have not known what to look for.

Must check my 1989 to see if it differs.

P1010255.jpg

P1010264.jpg

tenon of a Gibson Es 335 '63 Historic Block reissue made in Nashville 2006

Nashvilletenon.jpg

[biggrin]

Its long[biggrin]

Thats a good thing, the longer the tenon, the more surface area touching. It helps in conducting energy, strengthening the joint, and improving tone. Basically its the same as a correct vintage spec for an actual guitar! lol[love]

Yes, my E-by-G for $375 is looking better and better all the time, and I have you to thank Musikron, for the advice to snap it up, thanks man.....

[cool]

so Musikron wrote:

Basically its the same as a correct vintage spec for an actual guitar! lol

So what you are saying is that the original Sheraton I and the better built Sheraton's MIJ. Elitist, etc have this joint.

So, it is the same design as the Gibby 335, long tenon.

So when did they start with the short tenons on the Sheratons...?

Yes' date=' my E-by-G for $375 is looking better and better all the time, and I have you to thank Musikron, for the advice to snap it up, thanks man.....

[cool

so Musikron wrote:

So what you are saying is that the original Sheraton I and the better built Sheraton's MIJ. Elitist, etc have this joint.

So, it is the same design as the Gibby 335, long tenon.

So when did they start with the short tenons on the Sheratons...?

Dont worry too much about tennon lengths, long ones make a more secure joint but the effect on tone is pretty negligable. If you play an Orville by Gibson LP with a long tennon and a Gibson LP with a short one (I had both) you will not notice any difference, some with short tennons will resonate longer and sound fuller than those with long tennons. Every individual guitar is so different you couldn't put it down to tennon size. Just look at it as an added bonus :-

AS90 wrote:

Every individual guitar is so different you couldn't put it down to tennon size. Just look at it as an added bonus :-

So in a nutshell, it not the size of your tenon joint, but how you use it....and some have more natural mojo even if their tenon joint is not the biggest......[cool] I have heard this kind of reasoning before but not about guitars...I suppose it is the same principle....still reassuring to have a good length of tenon joint.....methinks...:-

Yea, its a good thing. Does that make a long tenon guit automatically better than a short. NO. Every guitar is different as we all know, a good guitar is a good guitar.

But it DOES make the joint stronger, and if all other things are equal it will transfer energy better than a short tenon, resulting in more capacity for tone.

And, Epiphone charges a very high premium today for guitars crafted in this method, they call them historic reissues, Gibsons, and elitists. I don't know exactly when (or why, but i bet it has to do with money, not making a better guitar!) they stopped doing that as standard operating procedure. Lets find out shall we?

All you Sherry owners who know the date and origin of your guitars please check the neck tenon and see how long it is, lets compare and see whoms is biggest!

Just checked my 1989 Samick and it is also long tenon like the E-by-G but does not have the cavity access via the bridge....

Epiphone Sheraton Samick 1989 neck cavity

P1010266.jpg

Epiphone Sheraton Samick 1989 bridge cavity

(not going to be able to rewire this guitar via the bridge, will have to be the dreaded f hole method...)

P1010271.jpg

Yea' date=' its a good thing. Does that make a long tenon guit automatically better than a short. NO. Every guitar is different as we all know, a good guitar is a good guitar.

But it DOES make the joint stronger, and if all other things are equal it will transfer energy better than a short tenon, resulting in more capacity for tone.

And, Epiphone charges a very high premium today for guitars crafted in this method, they call them historic reissues, Gibsons, and elitists. I don't know exactly when (or why, but i bet it has to do with money, not making a better guitar!) they stopped doing that as standard operating procedure. Lets find out shall we?

All you Sherry owners who know the date and origin of your guitars please check the neck tenon and see how long it is, lets compare and see whoms is biggest![/quote']

Just an interesting point about the Matsumokus. Not only are the necks glued in, but they put a screw in the tenon as well. I don't have a photo of it, but I photo shoped Joe's picture to illustrate:

P1010255.jpg

OFF SUBJECT:

CB wrote:

(John Lennon...or, at least his character, in "Back Beat")

Lennon was played by Ian Hart an actor from Liverpool when he made "Back Beat" He lived at the bottom of Lark Lane not far from me, and is partner at the time Lynn Curry worked with me in the media department of City of Liverpool Community College, Riversdale, we shared an office. Ian used to come in and have a cup of tea and talk about Back Beat I think they were in Pre-Production at that time. Ian has gone on to do great things....even Harry Potter he was Professor Quirrell http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001324/

Edit: WOW

Just found this in Ian's bio..... he and Lynn have married since and are still together after all this time

Spouse

Lynn Hart (? - present) 2 children

Here's something interesting. My father recently bought a Washburn that looks very familiar. It has bridge PU access, but I dunno about the neck tenon, I'll have to ask him. The serial number, woods, hardware, and construction all just scream Samick. Just a couple little slight body and neck changes. I forget what year (97?) but it's later than we've been discussing, just interesting to see the similarities between them.

dscn0265.jpg

dscn0263.jpg

jerrymac-

I wonder if they did that as an economical way to clamp it in place while the glue cures? Or.. is there any type of washer or bushing in there as well, or just a (wood?) screw? Was it finished over or installed through the finish?

Archived