Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass Emperor

derosa01

Hey everyone, I just picked up a circa 1995 Emperor Regent Joe Pass model. I have noticed that the one I have has a one piece back where others I have seen have a two piece. Is there any info anywhere that anyone knows of where I could find the "history" of changes that Epiphone made to these guitars over the years?

Thanks!

Pictures! We want to see pictures! The Emperor Regent is an altogether different model than the Emperor II (both pre and post Joe Pass designation) --- body size, pickup configuration and scale length are all different. I've seen quite a few Emperor Regents with one piece backs, but never a JP model.

:-k

Need some bigger pics...

The Pass model I owned have very good bookmatching on the back. Very hard to spot the seam.

BTW Joe, what did you do with the ebony bridge for your modded JP?

I'm thinking of swapping out the metal POS on mine.

Part of my collection for those who wanted more pictures. The pictures in the replies look NICE!

By the way' date=' it is REALLY hard to tell, but the back of my Joe Pass is actually two pieces.

[/quote']

They do a really good job with the bookmatching on those JP's for sure.

Hey everyone' date=' I just picked up a circa 1995 Emperor Regent Joe Pass model. I have noticed that the one I have has a one piece back where others I have seen have a two piece. Is there any info anywhere that anyone knows of where I could find the "history" of changes that Epiphone made to these guitars over the years?

Thanks![/quote']

Here's a quick rundown of the Korean Emperors: Prior to late 1993, it was just called the Emperor. Joe Pass endorsed the Emperor in September 1993, made some changes (most notable the switch moved from the lower horn to the upper bout), and it became the Emperor II. Joe died in 1994, in 1995 the Joe Pass signature was added to the pickguard and it officially became the Joe Pass Emperor II.

Very cool Jerry Mac [angry]

Do you have a history for the Emp Regent as well?

According to Blue Book 9th Edition' date=' the current Regents were first produced in 1994. Standard color are Antique Sunburst, Natural, Vintage Cherry Sunburst. Metallic colors (additional $150) Black, Light Blue, Burgundy Mist & Turquoise. Gold Flake and Silver Flake were available for and additional $225. The Metallic & Metallic Flake finishes were discontinued in 1998.

A couple of years ago, I got a Silver flake with a Roland pickup mounted on it for around $500. I actually bought it for the Roland, which I used on another project. I ended up selling the Regent for approximately what I paid, so in effect I got the Roland for free. It was a really nice guitar, I might have kept it awhile but I wasn't crazy about the Sliver Flake.

[img']http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmcleer/Guitars/Regent%20in%20case.JPG[/img]

Actually, looking back at this photo, it does look kinda kool.

Jerry wrote:

Regent%20in%20case.JPG

Jerrymac please educate me......frequensator on the Emperor......Why is the short arm on the treble side when it should be on the bass side. What is the point? I thought the (questionable) design required that the short arm be on the bass side......:-k

According to Blue Book 9th Edition' date=' the current Regents were first produced in 1994. Standard color are Antique Sunburst, Natural, Vintage Cherry Sunburst. Metallic colors (additional $150) Black, Light Blue, Burgundy Mist & Turquoise. Gold Flake and Silver Flake were available for and additional $225. The Metallic & Metallic Flake finishes were discontinued in 1998.

A couple of years ago, I got a Silver flake with a Roland pickup mounted on it for around $500. I actually bought it for the Roland, which I used on another project. I ended up selling the Regent for approximately what I paid, so in effect I got the Roland for free. It was a really nice guitar, I might have kept it awhile but I wasn't crazy about the Sliver Flake.

[img']http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmcleer/Guitars/Regent%20in%20case.JPG[/img]

Very cool! Where's my shark skin jacket!

Musikron wrote:

Joe, it was probably flipped so he could use standard guitar strings on it.

Defeats the whole purpose just for a set of strings.....Brianh, pointed out the Gibson L5 ($7.99) strings have the extra length and I suppose would sound fine on that Emperor...So what strings do Riviera owners use?????????????

stringsandbeyond_2087_134219690

Thanks Red 333!

My wife did that for me for a birthday present when I was out of town. I left with bare white walls and came home to hanging guitars, mirrors, pictures and all of my music organized. One of the best presents I ever got.

Jerry wrote:

Jerrymac please educate me......frequensator on the Emperor......Why is the short arm on the treble side when it should be on the bass side. What is the point? I thought the (questionable) design required that the short arm be on the bass side......:-k

That's the way I got it. The prongs are interchangeable' date=' and a lot of time people would switch them because some brands of strings (especially the D) wouldn't reach the tuning pegs. Don't know if it's true, but I heard that Epiphone originally developed the frequensator so that owners of Epiphone would have to buy Epiphone strings, which were the only strings at the time that would reach the pegs!!! But guitarists soon realized that they could just switch the prongs and any set would fit.

[i']This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend...[/i]

I too heard it was a marketing ploy to sell strings.

For 10$ CAN you can make a very nice replacement fork of brass (actually for 10$ you can make both forks so they match). I did it and no one really notices that they are brass and not gold plate.

I will post pics if you like sometims.

Thanks for the ninfo from the Bluebook. You just convinced me to pick up a copy!

Archived