Gibson Brands Forums

€piphone CORONET 1964 (NTMGSD)

cosmitron

Hi €piphans!

I feel the need to share a picture of my new (to me) guitar.

After some problems at the duty office and delivery city error (!!!) due to misspelled city name and a postal code number missing (thanks to Gruhn employee[angry]) I've finally received a frozen 1964 Coronet in silverfox finish yesterday.

The old lady is perfectly fit for its age. Straight neck and fretboard and fret obviously recently reshaped by a competent luthier. Everything is stock except for the bridge which should soon be change for a '63 compensated bridge.

Very Low action, no buzz.

I've stringed it in 10-52 plugged it in the cornford, and my life changed again.[angry]

IMG_9570%20copy.jpg

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I Am Happy.

Hi Cosmitron

I know nothing about the Coronet...Single coil, P-90, in bridge position, solid body.....that guitar is built to a specification to do a specific job, what is the history............ who thought up the design............ and what genre of music was it made for............ Where can I find "that album" where the tone is that....Coronet....sound............... tele, strat, 335, all distinctive.

That is a very distinctive guitar construction you have there, I am intrigued, what is the story...?

Fine licks and very interesting ending to your video.....

Thanks everyone! Those 60's €piphones are very addictive... If only I could have the whole family! :)

Strumbone> You might be interested in the Les Paul Junior that shares same features :-k

JoeSamick> "The Gibson-made Epiphone Coronet guitar started out as an alternative to the Gibson Les Paul Junior. Something slightly different, but still a good basic single pickup solidbody guitar (for a very economical price). Initially, the 1958/1959 models had a rather thick 1 3/4" mahogany body, like it's sister Les Paul Junior, and a bit similar to a Telecaster body. But when the Les Paul Junior converted to the thinner SG LP Junior body style by late 1960, the Coronet also thinned down to 1 3/8" thick, and the edges got rounded. Fortunately the new thinner Coronet body is not as thin as a SG LP Junior (making the Coronet a better guitar in my opinion, and a heck of a lot cheaper in price than a SG LP Junior). With the thinner Coronet body, the pickup also changed to a Gibson P90, which dramatically improved the sound over the Epi New York pickup. Then in 1963 the Epiphone Coronet body changed again slightly, making the treble side cutaway "horn" shorter, and changing the peghead tuners to 6-on-a-side (a la Fender). These weren't bad things, but most people seem to like generation 1 and 2 of the Coronet body better than the asymmetrical gen3 body style. To me the big deal is the neck size, since in 1964 Epiphone neck thinned from the standard 1 11/16" nut width to a thinner 1 5/8" (I personally prefer the thicker 1 11/16" nut width). Note the Coronet is a less cousin to the fancier Epiphone Wilshire and Epiphone Crestwood." (from: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/coronet.html)

Sometimes, it is said that the €piphone brand was used back then by Gibson to do Fenderish stuff without stamping Gibson name on it, so the tradition was safe. :)

In terms of sound it's the LP Jr naughty little sister. The very thin body would also make you think of it as a wiser SG cousin. But in any case, I prefer the balance of the Coronet over the les paul and the SG.

I believe those guitars were intended for students, but as you may have noticed it, guitars are often abused in a very different way than what they were thought for.

I've also been told Gibson used Brazilian rosewood for the fretboard until 66-67. One piece mahogany body, one piece mahogany neck.

I've discovered them when I started looking for informations, but I've appreciated to hear the Coronet on The Libertines LPs -If you don't mind Brit Pop, and don't care about tabloids-

Epiphone also made Coronet models for a guitar shop named Dwight during the 60s. On the Dwight model, the pickguard was stamped with a silver D instead of a € and the headstock name was well, Dwight or, Epiphone but with a Dwight trussrod cover. Steve Marriott also used it.

Thanks everyone! Those 60's €piphones are very addictive... If only I could have the whole family! :)

Strumbone> You might be interested in the Les Paul Junior that shares same features :-k

quote]

No thanks...I've had 4 solid bodies over the years, and much prefer semi-hollow bodies now. Kinda ironic that the other guitar player in my band back in the 60's bought a brand new cherry ES335, and I didn't like it. At the time I preferred the brighter sound of the Strats and Teles...not to mention the fact that back then, the Gibby was about $100 more than the Fenders! If I could only go back in time...

Non, je l'aime pas du tout.

Elle est moche et puis elle n'est pas chez moi... [-(

(Translation: I don't like it at all. She's ugly and she's not at my home [biggrin] )

Nah, seriously, I had seen Epiphone's blog and they had a couple of pictures of one just like that.

I fell totally in love with it.

I think it looks amazing.

You are one lucky guy.

HNGD to you!

Though there's no request for it, I felt I wanted to share some additional videos featuring the Coronet. :-({|=

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Despite it's lack of versatility, I think it sounds good in every musical style I'm approaching. :)

Though there's no request for it, I felt I wanted to share some additional videos featuring the Coronet. :-({|=

Despite it's lack of versatility, I think it sounds good in every musical style I'm approaching. :)

C'est trés cool, mon ami Epi', Cosmitron !!!! Encore.....great videos, shows your not only a talented musician, but an all round creative guy, is that a bit of Final Cut wizardry I detect there.....Anyone who is cool enough to own a Coronet would have a Mac and if editing on a Mac I would say someone as creative as you would have Final Cut Pro.......

C'est trés cool' date=' mon ami Epi', Cosmitron !!!! Encore.....great videos, shows your not only a talented musician, but an all round creative guy, is that a bit of Final Cut wizardry I detect there.....Anyone who is cool enough to own a Coronet would have a Mac and if editing on a Mac I would say someone as creative as you would have Final Cut Pro.......

[/quote']

Haha JoeSamick! guess what? I'm using a very ugly PC and premiere! The PC is not even old enough to be vintage. :^o

Anyway, I had fun doing a sort of promotional video-clip, featuring the Coronet, and a short story with it.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hope everyone would enjoy this!

Archived