Gibson Brands Forums

Is this an Epiphone EM-1? Or what? Help identify my guitar!

matsamune

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum =D

So I got this guitar off my brother.. And I have no idea what it is. The little barcode thingamajig says it's an Epiphone EM-1:

img0588z.th.jpg

BUT, using Google I came up with images of EM-1s and they look NOTHING like my guitar (headstock the other way, gold accents, my guitar has 3 sets of pickups)

From google: 42163_l.jpg

My guitar: img0586j.th.jpg

Now, upon stumbling onto this random forum, I had leads that it was an Epiphone EM-1 Rebel. But this was the ONLY forum that had any information about the Rebel, but the resemblance is uncanny - in fact, it looks EXACTLY like my guitar, save for the colour of the body (headstock points the same way, gold accents, 3 sets of pickups) :

The forum: http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14895

The image: em1rebel.jpg

And another thing that has really got me stumped is that my guitar has BOTH the Gibson and Epiphone branding on it:

img0587va.th.jpg

So tell me forum, is my guitar fake? Why does it have both Gibson and Epiphone on it? Why can I only find one image of it on the whole of google? What else can you tell me about my guitar?

Thanks guys =D

And on a possibly ubrelated topic, I found the guitar on sale on eBay, and it has the reverse headstock, both gibson and epiphone on it, gold accents, and three pickups, except it's green:

The eBay listing

...Now' date=' upon stumbling onto this random forum, I had leads that it was an Epiphone EM-1 Rebel. But this was the ONLY forum that had any information about the Rebel, but the resemblance is uncanny - in fact, it looks EXACTLY like my guitar, save for the colour of the body (headstock points the same way, gold accents, 3 sets of pickups) :

...And another thing that has really got me stumped is that my guitar has BOTH the Gibson and Epiphone branding on it:

...So tell me forum, is my guitar fake? Why does it have both Gibson and Epiphone on it? Why can I only find one image of it on the whole of google? What else can you tell me about my guitar?

And on a possibly ubrelated topic, I found the guitar on sale on eBay, and it has the reverse headstock, both gibson and epiphone on it, gold accents, and three pickups, except it's green:

[/quote']

You answered your own question, it's an EM-1 Rebel. They were made 1991-1998. Gibson owns Epiphone, it was common for Epiphone TRCs to say Gibson in the '90s. No it's not a fake, why would anyone want to make counterfeit EM-1s??? They're not highly desirable, and it would probably cost more to make one than they could sell it for. It would be like counterfeiting pennies.

Welcome to the camp

Awesome! At least now I know what my guitar is.

So another question' date=' if you don't mind. What are these 'rebel' models all about? Are they a reissue of some sort?[/quote']

They were an attempt to modernize the Epiphone line. Epiphone underwent a lot of major changes late '80s early '90s.

Nice guitar. I definately like the 90's EMs over the new models. Much more deluxe than the recent incarnation. I really like the old EM-2s with the Floyd Rose trems.

Jerrymac, Any idea what 'EM' stands for? I'm guessing 'Epiphone Mark'? And the bass version may be 'Epiphone Bass Mark'? - which sounds kind of silly...

Here is a Gibson Mark-III

efaa_1.jpg

Jerrymac' date=' Any idea what 'EM' stands for? I'm guessing 'Epiphone Mark'? And the bass version may be 'Epiphone Bass Mark'? - which sounds kind of silly...

[/quote']

Doesn't sound silly to me, that's what I figured as well. There was a EM-III as well, it had a limba (???) body and a Jam-Trem locking tremelo instead of the Rose. The Gibson M IV Deluxe also had a limba body.

Her ya go Robin' date=' this fancy enough for ya?

[/quote']

Holy cow! $1500??? A little too fancy, if ya know what I mean. I'll be honest though, I still like the looks of the 90's EMs over most of the the Gibson M-IIIs. I think its the lack of pickguard and the trap inlays that do it for me. Although, I'm sure the Gibbys were more high-end - with the set necks, better PUPs and all that. Still a nice guitar, for sure. I wouldnt turn it down if someone wanted to gift it to me.

Doesn't sound silly to me' date=' that's what I figured as well. There was a EM-III as well, it had a limba (???) body and a Jam-Trem locking tremelo instead of the Rose. The Gibson M IV Deluxe also had a limba body.

[/quote']

Its settled, then. Epiphone Mark.[biggrin]

I didnt know about the EM-III or M-IVs. Very interesting. Gibson is always full of surprises, as usual. I'll have to look those up. Thanks!

Archived