Gibson Brands Forums

Ephone Les Paul Standart Plus

Cicho

Good day here everyone. I have decided to save up money for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. I have been playing for almost a year. I have 2 guitars, but the problem with them is, the 1-5 frets are buzzings and the guitars are really old so i tried everything on the net to fix it, however it failed. It was ok until I got into guitar scales and trying to play my own stuff, and this became a very big obsticale so i decided a switch guitars. Mostly I play Pink Floyd and David Gilmour things (well trying to) and for fun I play also AC/DC and stuff like that.

The reasson for this threat, i wanted to know how good are the guitars. The official reviews state tha they are very good, however well i never seen an official review saying its bad dont buy it. And also i cant decide on the color.

It is either this:

http://www.aage.dk/shop/elektriske-guitarer/epiphone/les-paul-standard-plus-honeyburst.html

or:

http://www.aage.dk/shop/elektriske-guitarer/epiphone/les-paul-standard-plus-cherry-sunburst.html

Maybe some of you have a good high defenition photos of both so i coudl see, i havent found any good quality photos on google. And what I was wondering, on the photos, after the bridge you can see a line from paint, as if the guitar is seperated into 2 zones, is it really seen that good that line or is it simply bad quality photos?

Also I possess a Bigsby B7 which i like however it did not fit on my previous guitar had to mount a b5. So the question is would a b7 fit there?

Thank you in advance. Excuse me for my English, it is not my primary language. Thank you

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I can not speak for the standard but i own a new Epiphone '56 Goldtop Les Paul, and its great, i was in your dilema also, i was on a budget and choosing between a standard and a goldtop.

I went with the goldtop and didnt regret it, its more unique than a standard

As for the line going down the middle of the body, that is there, all epi standard plus are like that.

Its not a fault, its just the flame of the wood, its not ugly, rather beautiful, if you reall hate the line., the goldtop doesnt have that line.

Regards Caolan.

For a start, regarding high-res images, the Epiphone press site is quite useful. i went ahead and got the Honeyburst and Cherry Sunburst pics for you:

Honey

Cherry

As for the quality of the guitars, you're obviously going to get a positive reply on the Epiphone forums, but I can honestly say that the Epiphone LP Standard is a very good guitar.

The line you see is where the pieces of flame maple are joined. It's on more or less every flame-topped guitar, and is even fairly apparent on bookmatched tops.

A Bigsby B7 will fit a Les Paul.

For a start' date=' regarding high-res images, the Epiphone press site is quite useful. i went ahead and got the Honeyburst and Cherry Sunburst pics for you:

Honey

Cherry

As for the quality of the guitars, you're obviously going to get a positive reply on the Epiphone forums, but I can honestly say that the Epiphone LP Standard is a very good guitar.

The line you see is where the pieces of flame maple are joined. It's on more or less every flame-topped guitar, and is even fairly apparent on bookmatched tops.

A Bigsby B7 will fit a Les Paul.

Yay thank you for the answers. Now all is left is to save up a nice amount of money.

Good day here everyone. I have 2 guitars' date=' but the problem with them is, the 1-5 frets are buzzings and the guitars are really old so i tried everything on the net to fix it, however it failed.

Thank you in advance. Excuse me for my English, it is not my primary language. Thank you [/quote']

Your English is just fine, most acceptable!

The buzzing in the 1 - 5 frets can be caused by a variety of things:

1. Neck has "backbow" (bending torwards rear of guitar).

2. Slots in nut too low due to use.

3. Action too low (bridge is set too low).

I am immediately going for #1 - The Neck. Very typical cause of what you

describe. If the guitar is kept in a room that is "colder" than the optimum

70-ish degrees farenheit, the truss rod in the neck (it's metal) will become

cold and "shrink"/become shorter and cause the neck to bend backwards,

causing fret buzz in the lower frets. As it IS "Winter" in most of the world,

this immediately comes to mind...

This can be verified by either "sighting down the strings" looking for an

obvious "backbow", or with a straightedge (about 18" long) placed on

entire fretboard, looking for gaps underneath between the nut and 5th

fret.

Have you ever adjusted your own truss rod before? I withold further

advice until I find out. It's actually quite easy, just has to be done GRADUALLY

with guitar tuned to pitch. Just trying to find out your skill level!!!

This may be the reasson, however i had this guitar for a period of time now and it was the same when it was warm and everything, only at that time i didnt spend as much time playing it to think about it. Now i am trying to get serious a little bit and it became a big problem. The bridge itself is set to as high as possible, which means i cannot go ever higher.

I think i am gona change then nut (i think thats how its called), because it is an old guitar, and i noticed that the wholes are deeper then they should be. But thatnk you for the advise. Also thankyou for complimenting my English.

I should also include that humidity can cause the wood

in the neck to flex, causing same problem (guitars are

a pain, eh?). If your bridge is as high as possible, then

I would try verifying the neck is straight first, then consider

repacing the nut second. Since I can't SEE what you see, I

have to rely on your information.

Verifying the neck is straight is free (if YOU do it), nut replacement

requires buying the CORRECT nut, then getting it installed, then

re-adjusting neck to compensate for new nut/string height, then

re-adjusting bridge due to new nut...

What Guitar are you playing/having problems with?

Odense... DENMARK?

The neck is croocked a little. I know a little about working with guitars, before i started palying i helped to fix a lot, including stuff like removing the freatboard and changing the trust rod. The thing is, at this moments, I see a lot of problems there. Croocked neck, over used nut, freats which are lined up properly and the guitar itself is around 20-30 years old, so theres al ot of stuff to repair, and i counted its cheaper for me to save up money and get a new one clean from the shop (i have half of the cost already) rather then spending cash on this one fixing it. I am a student so I dont possess unlimited income. Maybe when i get a better job I will fix it, but now think getting a new one, with no faults is much better in my position.

Yes i am from Odense, Denmark, I am an international student, studying here : )

AH.....Denmark, beautiful country.

OK, you have the technical skill. Then your decision to

invest in a new guitar is most likely quite correct. On this

forum we LOVE old guitars, especially 20 - 30 years old,

does not matter who made them. Any pictures??????

AND, welcome to the FORUM - we DO try and help out

each other regarding learning how to modify/work on gits,

and we LOVE pictures!!!!!

I love old guitar, i am a scavanger hunter, I love goign to fleamarkets and findign old beaten up **** and make it work, got 2 guitars here, and 7 guitars back home, where I come from. It is a hoby with my dad Ill post pictures when i get them : )

I love old guitar' date=' i am a scavanger hunter, I love goign to fleamarkets and findign old beaten up yeehaw and make it work, got 2 guitars here, and 7 guitars back home, where I come from. It is a hoby with my dad Ill post pictures when i get them : )[/quote']

"WE" await your photos! I, too, dream of finding that old guitar

that someone stored in a forgotten place and "doesn't want it anymore" -

(Drool, Slobber......). Maybe someday.....

Okay here we go. This is what me and my dad found a while ago on a fleamarket:

17052009406.jpg?t=1265469603

After some work this is what we ended up with:

DSCF0011.jpg?t=1265469638

DSCF0012.jpg?t=1265469638

Unfortunatly i do not have a picture of the folowing: I attached a bigsby B5 to it aswell

This is a Luxor guitar, made in east german (when germany was still apart)

09082009459.jpg?t=1265469691

09082009460.jpg?t=1265469693

This is the collection back home, currently to it is also added a Framus Acoustic guitar

DSCF0007.jpg?t=1265469707

Above is a Triumphator Electric german guitar. The sound is amazing, only thing lover freats are dead, but that can be fixxed easy, no time only.

IMGA0689.jpg?t=1265469712

The red start is a UK Marlin guitar, a fun guitar, really comfortable to play, only prob the pick ups are really bad. And the white stratocaster is the guitar with the problems that i have with me. It is a Japanese replica of a 1960 stratocaster. The brand on the head is "Diamond" not sure not a lot of info there is on the net

Hey, thanks for posting the pics! The German/East german

guitars are intriguing... Paruwi would be able to comment

regarding the gits more than I. I DO remember hearing that

in EAST Germany (before wall fell) that guitarists would actually

steal the guts from telephone handsets in order to make their own

guitar pickups.....

Interesting, well I know about Framus guitars, and also from what i heard Luxor was something as a small branch of Framus, however I have no clue or any other info about the Harmony guitar and the Diamond white strat.

Archived