Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Epiphone '58 Korina Flying V Reissue

teslafan

A co-worker of mine is interested in selling what he says is an Epiphone '58 Korina Flying V Reissue. The serial @ he gave me seems to indicate it was manufactured in August 2001 at the Saein Plant. But what is confusing me is that the hardware doesn't match other '58 Reissues I've seen - this has gold color control knobs and greenish looking tuners with the Epiphone logo on them. It also has the big white truss plate on the headstock with Gibson on it. Any idea what I'm actually looking at? Thanks!

It looks to me like a guitar that has undergone a couple of "mods" ...

An Epi Flying V is one of the easier models to turn into a "Gibson". That TRC is really just about all it takes for those unfamiliar to the other differences. I've seen this "Gibsonizing" of this model a couple of times before.

I also swapped the black knobs and switch tip for gold on my Korina V ... just didn't like the look of the black, although I still have the pickup surrounds on it. It's a great guitar, tesla ... very light and a great player even stock. Here's a pic of mine:

Sany0116.jpg

Jim

You're right about the $499.99 price for a new one, Tesla. We're also talking about a 9 year old guitar here ... and Epi's are not exactly know for there resale/ vintage pricing ... especially on models that haven't been disco'd. As for the case, what the hell else is he gonna do with a Flying V case once the guitar is gone?

Ones that actually sold on ebay recently went for $225 to $350 ... these were completed transactions, the ones on there currently listed for over $400 are just sitting there with the reserve not met. If I were you, I'd point this out to the seller as see I he wouldn't like to reconsider his asking price.

That being said, if you like it (and all the mods), it's not the worst deal I've ever seen. Good luck!

Jim

Archived