Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone but which model????? Help!!

Surreal_fx

Hi guys,

I'm new on here so first, a quick intro!

Im 28, male, from England! Played guitar as a hobby for over 10 years now and love it! I love to play guns n roses and joe bonamassa to name a few! I can't read tab, I play by ear! I listen to a song and work it out bit by bit! It works fine for me. Had the same guitar for the length of time I've played. Here lays my puzzling predicament!

The guitar I have has the 'epiphone. Logo on the head with a 'gibson' truss cover also. It's 'sort' of a fender strat shape in black. 2 single coil pickups and 1 humbucker at the bridge. Wammy bar (which I have removed but kept safe), one tone pot and one volume with pickup selector switch. Serial number is; 9090875 this number is on a White sticker on the back of the head. Hope it helps.

I know you can't identify it with out pictures so will provide pics asap!! But for now I have given a description and what looks like the serial number for now which may help!

All help is appreciated!

Cheers

Dan.

hi guys,

heres the pics as promised

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

it also has a seymour duncan bridge but thats all i know cos nothin else is marked up apart from the 'i' logo on the pickups which i have know clue what it stands for! the guitar sounds awesome but its puzzling me as to what model it actualy is. some history or info on it would really help my curiosity!!

thanks again guys, hope the pics help.

Welcome

This is what the Guitar Dater says about your guitar:

Korea

September c.1989

Production Number: 0875

I believe it's one of the s-series - maybe s-800?. Does it look like this one http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-strat-copy-mettalic-red ?

yes, as you can see from my pics, that is the same guitar! sounds a little dumb to say but i'm over the moon cos thats the first time ive seen another like it!! lol

if anyone could tell me anymore about them i'd be very grateful. what kind of pickups they are, what the 'i' logo stands for, if the guitar had a good review back in the day or if anyone else has one etc..

It is an Epiphone 635i Strat. The pickups are i-series, but that is all I know. The bridge, however is not an SD, it says Floyd Rose licensed tremolo but is really an Epiphone Bennder tremolo. License & legality, etc...back when FR had a monolpoly on locking trems.

There is another thread down the page where someone is asking about those PUPs as well. We dont have much info on them.

Musikron, I did the same thing when I bought mine. I was young(er), knew nothing about guitars and the internet was almost non-existant. I just wanted a guitar.

Usually the price is right and the quality and upkeep are decent when you find these gits.

In an unrelated observation, I've noticed that after a certain amount of posts, usually the 200-300 mark, many members snap and start typing crazy things. Musikron, you've passed that mark by two-fold. Its too late for you to snap now, brother. Loosen your grip on the wheel and ease up on the gas. You cant stop now. After all, this is bat country. :D

Sorry, reading the OP post with all those exclamation points gave me a little bit of a seizure.

I just think its odd that we always get people who buy these and then go "what is this?". No one ever does that on other models. I would never buy something without knowing first what it is, unless we are talking no brainer cheap like $50 or something. And google turns up the model info pretty regularly so its ain't like finding out where the holy grail is hidden or anything.

Yeah, I dont know why either. Funny thing is, I got my info from another thread on this forum just to make sure I was giving the best info I could. Heck, if you do a google search you typically get related topics from the Epiphone forum. No need to even use the search function...even if it worked well.

As for buying the guitar in the first place, maybe the gits just call to them "...buy me...buy me...". I know that I have suffered from this same affliction in the past. Its something about Epis, man. They make you want them...even if you have no clue as to what they are.

But, at least I could tell where the sentences ended and began. Its the really, really interesting topics where someone posts something super-informative in the form of a wall-of-text that makes my eyes water.

But' date=' at least I could tell where the sentences ended and began. Its the really, really interesting topics where someone posts something super-informative in the form of a wall-of-text that makes my eyes water. [/quote']

I won't even read those.

And I know what you mean by calling to you. Every guitar I have ever kept has screamed to me from the wall, corner, stand, HERE I AM! Most of them I know are the ones before I even pick them up. I see it and say to myself "oh ****, I hope the necks wonky cause I really can't afford that right now" Then I pick it up, it sings, and I buy the damned thing.

I also have dreams about the guitars I am going to buy. If I go home to sleep on it (something I always do, I very rarely make impulse purchases) and have a dream about it, it means I need to buy it. So far I have 4 guitars in the "Dream Team" and I won't sell a one of them at any price ever. But ALL my impulse purchases have been given the boot, a couple Epi's and Gibbys included.

Hi!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, thanks for the rather insulting post! It was a nice warm welcome from everyone else, but then I suppose there is always one that has to spoil things. And as for "buying somethin without knowing what it is". The guitar was a birhday gift from my late dad for my 18th birthday. I never wanted to question it because I thought it would have been disrespectful to him at the time. It's only been lately when my curiosity about the guitar arose again.

But thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate the help you gave so quickly. But if that's the way 'some people' treat newbies then I can see it will either be interesting to post on here or make me lose interest quite quickly.

Some people may not see this as insulting or a little out of order. But I thought this was a little harsh for my first thread on a new forum.

Cheers guys.

Alright, alright. Lets not all get in a twist over this. Musikron is a great guy with a wealth of guitar knowledge. He just caught a bit of the forum crazies. It happens to (almost) everyone at some point. Dont let this ruin your experience here. This is a great forum with great people always willing to help out. Stick around and you'll see. Besides, I like to be the person that is usually out of order 'round these parts. I'm harmless...unless you are Miley Cyrus.

Anyhoo, nice guitar. I'm a big fan of the 80's Epiphone strats. Also, wanted to clarify that there was also a 435i and maybe others. Not sure exactly which one yours is. These strats are enigmatic. Maybe that is why I like them.

Is there any ledgible info left on that gold sticker on the back? That was where the model info was.

Alright' date=' alright. Lets not all get in a twist over this. Musikron is a great guy with a wealth of guitar knowledge. He just caught a bit of the forum crazies. It happens to (almost) everyone at some point. Dont let this ruin your experience here. This is a great forum with great people always willing to help out. Stick around and you'll see. Besides, I like to be the person that is usually out of order 'round these parts. I'm harmless...unless you are Miley Cyrus.

Anyhoo, nice guitar. I'm a big fan of the 80's Epiphone strats. Also, wanted to clarify that there was also a 435i and maybe others. Not sure exactly which one yours is. These strats are enigmatic. Maybe that is why I like them.

Is there any ledgible info left on that gold sticker on the back? That was where the model info was.[/quote']

I have to agree with the hood, Musikron has always had intelligent input on a subject from all the posts I have come across. Maybe there's going to be a full moon tonight? Oh by the way Surreal Welcome to the forum!

Chillaxe maine!

Just having a little fun over your gross over use of the "!"

When I read your post your voice was that of an over excited 5 year old. I was just asking if the period [ . ] worked on your keyboard.

And seriously, no one who has one of these guitars seems to know what it is. Its like the Twilight Zone or something.

And seriously' date=' no one who has one of these guitars seems to know what it is. Its like the Twilight Zone or something.[/quote']

Aint that the truth! Its uncanny, really. Like I said, they call to people. Nice looking, nice feeling, they sound pretty good and the price is usually right. What else is there to know? LOL!

Do you have a period or are you just happy to see me?!

-----------------------

In British countries a period is menstruation. A . is called a full stop.

So the correct answer to that question is "[REDACTED]"

In American English it is:

- Menstruation cycle

- Punctuation at the end of a sentence

- A time frame reference

- A slang term meaning "absolute, end of discussion" as in "Epiphone guitars are awesome - PERIOD!"

Hi' date=' thanks for the rather insulting post! It was a nice warm welcome from everyone else, but then I suppose there is always one that has to spoil things. And as for "buying somethin without knowing what it is". The guitar was a birhday gift from my late dad for my 18th birthday. I never wanted to question it because I thought it would have been disrespectful to him at the time. It's only been lately when my curiosity about the guitar arose again.

But thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate the help you gave so quickly. But if that's the way 'some people' treat newbies then I can see it will either be interesting to post on here or make me lose interest quite quickly.

Some people may not see this as insulting or a little out of order. But I thought this was a little harsh for my first thread on a new forum.

Cheers guys.[/quote']

If you have any more issues with any forum member just send me a PM[cool]

Archived