Gibson Brands Forums

s series pickups?

Stevie Nazarenie

Not sure if you mean the Epis made by Samick in Korea, which have serial number prefix S, then numbers. Mostly from around 1997 - 2001.

I've owned 3 or 4 (Lps and G400). The bridge humbuckers are around 11-12k, and usually marked with a label "HOT-CH" (classic hot?). Neck are around 8k, labelled something like "Dot/LP bridge". I think both are alnico2.

That neck pup was also used as both bridge and neck in Dots. They can sound a bit muddy but I found new pots and caps can clean them up a bit. I liked the neck pup, quite smooth and warm, but personally prefer something even hotter for bridge on solid bodies.

I know that quality and tolerances of caps and pots varies, and I've modded most of the Epis I've owned (9 or 10 now). One I've left stock is my Alleykat (also Korean), where the bridge humbucker sounds absolutely fine to me, maybe because it's on a semi-hollow. Makes me wonder if those pups sound better on a Dot than they do on Lps/G400s.

Not sure if you mean the Epis made by Samick in Korea' date=' which have serial number prefix S, then numbers. Mostly from around 1997 - 2001.

I've owned 3 or 4 (Lps and G400). The bridge humbuckers are around 11-12k, and usually marked with a label "HOT-CH" (classic hot?). Neck are around 8k, labelled something like "Dot/LP bridge". I think both are alnico2.

That neck pup was also used as both bridge and neck in Dots. They can sound a bit muddy but I found new pots and caps can clean them up a bit. I liked the neck pup, quite smooth and warm, but personally prefer something even hotter for bridge on solid bodies.

I know that quality and tolerances of caps and pots varies, and I've modded most of the Epis I've owned (9 or 10 now). One I've left stock is my Alleykat (also Korean), where the bridge humbucker sounds absolutely fine to me, maybe because it's on a semi-hollow. Makes me wonder if those pups sound better on a Dot than they do on Lps/G400s.

[/quote']

No, he's talking about pre-1990 635i Series Epiphone Strats (i PUPs) I thinks these were active, but not sure.

Archived