Gibson Brands Forums

3 pickup Blue Bomber??

matiac

When (God willing) I have the spare scratch, I would like to maybe explore the possibilities of adding a middle pickup to my most beloved, and trusted Blue Bomber, thinkin' maybe some kind of Duncan combo, with a Gibson 490T to the middle position, wiring it similar to the Epiphone SG Custom i.e., a master tone dial, and 3 volume dials. I realise this would be a pricey venture, what with having to reconfigure the wiring schematic, routing, etc. I was just wondering what sayest thou to further modification of 'ol Blue? Or just leave well enough alone? Hmm?? Oh, and the pickups would be cream colored open coil, wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh no, not me I'd have my most beloved, and trusted Techy do the work, I wouldn't dream of attempting it myself, and besides, I suck at soldering. He (Techy) did the routing for the fullsized 'bucker I had him put in my Telecaster I had, so I'd just let him do it.

i love3 pup guitars. have 2 now that i modded the jr. the 3 master vol and tone are the only way to go!!!! but i am not sure about using bbb. if u have not played a 3 pup before do that be for mods.

Yeah Matt, nice to hear from you again.

The center pickup would seem to be in the way of the picking area.

I know even on my Strat I have to be careful where I play.

Definitely play a 3 humbucker guitar before doing any mods.

I know how much you value your blue bomber so be careful; in trying

to make it more guitar that you don't make it less.

When (God willing) I have the spare scratch' date=' I would like to maybe explore the possibilities of adding a middle pickup to my most beloved, and trusted Blue Bomber, thinkin' maybe some kind of Duncan combo, with a Gibson 490T to the middle position, wiring it similar to the Epiphone SG Custom i.e., a master tone dial, and 3 volume dials. I realise this would be a pricey venture, what with having to reconfigure the wiring schematic, routing, etc. I was just wondering what sayest thou to further modification of 'ol Blue? Or just leave well enough alone? Hmm?? Oh, and the pickups would be cream colored open coil, wouldn't have it any other way.[/quote']

I like the idea of a triple'up BBB, but, having 2 black o/c's, why oh why would you install a CREAM in the middle?

:-&

Great to "c-you" btw !

I love the idea, Matt!

I've never had an issue with three-pup guitars ... how deep do you guys pick, anyway?

For some reason, when I read your original post, I immediately pictured white pickups. With your playing style, I think something along the lines of Duncan SH-6's would be just the thing (with white covers, of course).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-6-Distortion-Humbucker-Pickup-300042-i1127382.gc

Anyway, cool idea for a project, no matter what you end up with. Hope things are going well for you, buddy ...

Jim

I'm an "If-it ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" sort of person...

I were you, I would use the money for another Telecaster with a Humbucker.

I know that would cost more, but in the long run it would also give you a lot more possibilities than an extra pickup in the Bomber. More "bang for the buck", so to speak.

I like the idea of a triple'up BBB' date=' but, having 2 black o/c's, why oh why would you install a CREAM in the middle?

:-&

Great to "c-you" btw !

[/quote']

No, the existing pickups would be replaced in favor of cream colored.

Archived