Gibson Brands Forums

tuning problems

ckledzepplin

I don't know why you bought a Les Paul in the first place. Those guitars are so over rated' date=' it's not funny.

[/quote']

Have you heard about those Squier Stratocasters? Hell, the industry is abuzz at how amazing they are! Haven't seen anything like it since the PRS fad...

damn' date=' i have a genuine problem and you guys have to smart asses[/quote']

That's what we do here. It doesn't mean we don't genuinely care.

Are the strings stock or have you replaced them? Are you securing them around the tuner correctly?

The tuners could be acting up...obviously there is slippage coming from SOMEWHERE.

You could try Big Bends Nut Sauce as well, or have a luthiere work on your nut if you don't feel comfortable.

It is due to the angle of the string at the headstock.

Of course... I have heard posting pics also fixes it.

(at least I waited until the end of my post to be a smartass!)

i don't have a camera right now so no pics, i had slinkys on it but the b and g strings broke so i put d'addarios on it, they are the right size. the strings are wrapped once or twice around the posts. they are gibson stock deluxe tuners which i love the look of.

What you have there is a defective guitar. It is worthless. Throw it away immediately to avoid contamination to the rest of your gear.

or donate it to the Foundation for keeping guitars slung low

just mail it to me' date=' or ian, for a tax deductable donation

keeping rock rocking sincle 5:20 PM on July 16th

O:)

+1 to No. 2 graphite in the nut[/quote']

i don't have a camera right now so no pics' date=' i had slinkys on it but the b and g strings broke so i put d'addarios on it, they are the right size. the strings are wrapped once or twice around the posts. they are gibson stock deluxe tuners which i love the look of.[/quote']

You sure they're entirely stretched out?

I'm not sure once or twice is enough for the skinny strings. Try keeping them wound at least three times. I think you can definitely overwind, but if you don't have enough on there it tends to pull the peg around and slip more. Properly stringing has alot to do with most tuning problems IMO.

Try having a luthier slot the nut holes, and then add some graphite or nut sauce. Also, you might consider getting a graphite nut, that is if you plan to keep the guitar forever and never sell it. As with the neck, I'm not sure if making it straight will help tuning, but I would imagine that that would be fairly uncomfortable to play.

If you still have the problem you can PM me and Ill try to give you some guidance as to where to start looking for trouble points... Sorry for the other guys behavior... you've been around enough to nootice THEY ARE ALLWAYS LIKE THIS. So it's nothing personal.

:)

Just kidding guys.

i just got my new Lp faded and it wont stay tuneded' date=' expecially the G and B strings, i have set the intonation 3 times and the neck is perfectly straight. please i need help it is driving me crazy[/quote']

I had many tuning problems with my Paul and it was ALWAYS the G and B strings, so I tried the graphite trick. That didn't work and in the end I went for new machine heads. Grovers. They did the trick. If they hadn't, my final throw of the dice would have been the Buzz Feiten system!

Here's the before:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2672680548_3373d3db5f.jpg

and the after:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2664337876_4bfbfe0b35.jpg

I prefer the new look. If it was good enough for Mr. Page, then who am I to argue?

Have you tried changing the strings. If you bought the guitar and you have not changed the stock strings then that could be one of the problems. When strings get old they do not stay in tune as well or sound as good. you should try changing the strings first before doing anything major.

Have you tried changing the strings. If you bought the guitar and you have not changed the stock strings then that could be one of the problems. When strings get old they do not stay in tune as well or sound as good. you should try changing the strings first before doing anything major.

i have new strings on it, i added more graphite and did the self locking method so i let you guys know how it worked

Archived