Gibson Brands Forums

t/bird pro problem

sawdelight

Anyone any views/advice on this...

Recently bought a new Epiphone Thunderbird pro bass.

I've noticed that the fret/fret wire looks like its splitting on most of the frets. Not sure why, I've heard various explanations...coating on the fret wire? or nickel strings rubbing against nickel fret wire?

Looks like lines in the fret wire, I can almost get my fingernail in them and its happening on most of the frets

I've still got the factory strings on since I got the bass.

I'm not sure if its a fault in the fret wire material.

comments advice greatly needed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like some kind of heavy duty fretwear to me. The same wear appears to be happening to the fingerboard, too. You can see the gouges at the left of the posted photo. Your left hand must be a bit heavy on the strings.

You pic is kinda blurry, does the defect run all the way through the fret? On the beveled end, is it appearing there? It looks like it but again, blurry pic so I can't really tell. Appears to be more than just wear from here though. I think its a flawed cheapo Chinese fret.

For Musikron...

Yes. well its happening on most of the frets and the bass was made in china in 2009. This is the second bass from that batch, if they exchange it for another one it'll probably have the same defective fret wire!

I'm not sure what to do?

I've posted a few more pics.

That is certainly not fret wear, that is bad fret wire. It was most likely a manufacturing flaw in the wire, it should never had made it out the door like that. That is HORRIBLE QC. Is it stamped 2nd everywhere? I would ask for a refund and get another bass from a supplier who could obtain a quality instrument. If that is a no go then the only other thing I can say is refret the guitar. Maybe you can get it done under warranty. This is a real Epiphone right? Bought new? If I may ask where did you buy the bass, and did you note the serial numbers on the previous basses? How many does this make with this problem?

Well its an Epiphone thunderbird pro bass bought brand new three months ago, it was exchanged for the first one which had the same fret problem. So its from the same batch. I didn't make a note of the first one's serial number.

I bought the bass from Dawsons UK. Its still under warranty. I've been in touch with Epiphone Europe and sent them the photo's, last week, not heard from them yet.

I'm not sure what they'll do or if I can ask my dealer for a refret?

• 2 weeks later...
That is certainly not fret wear' date=' that is bad fret wire. It was most likely a manufacturing flaw in the wire, it should never had made it out the door like that. That is HORRIBLE QC. Is it stamped 2nd everywhere? I would ask for a refund and get another bass from a supplier who could obtain a quality instrument. If that is a no go then the only other thing I can say is refret the guitar. [i']Maybe[/i] you can get it done under warranty. This is a real Epiphone right? Bought new? If I may ask where did you buy the bass, and did you note the serial numbers on the previous basses? How many does this make with this problem?

I contacted Gibson Europe and they asked for the photo's.

After they'd seen them they said I was responsible for the fretwear!

When I told them That this had not happened with other basses I own they said..."The fret wire on your other basses must be harder"

So I guess if you buy a epiphone thunderbird pro expect sort fretwire?!!!

Systematic abuse in action

Well, technically, you ARE responsible for the current fret wear, if that is how they phrased it. However,IMO you are NOT responsible for the frets splitting.

Dont let them play symantics with you. Try and get your money back and then buy a different brand bass.

The T-birds arent all they are cracked up to be anyway...and the Pros have had numerous problems from the beginning.

Glad I decided against getting one.

A repair shop that is a service center will look at that guitar and say re-fret. Then you say, "it's brand new I want it covered under warranty", they say "OK", fix it and Gibson pays them. But be nice to the repair guys, they didn't and aren't screwing you over, don't take your frustrations out on them, they are on your side!

I have asked you about three times to send me pics of the issue. I think you are confused as to what you are seeing anf don't believe the fretwire is "splitting". If you want an answer post pics.

Atleast he dind't say he'd send pics and then not do it- then send you your bought item and it's not as described- then not get back in touch with you.

there sure are some shady people- scary that some are involved with owning a business!

Archived