Gibson Brands Forums

t/bird pro problem

sawdelight

Good luck with it. From the information in this thread, their response to you is a crock. A local shop quit carrying Gibson or Epiphone due to this kind of behavior from Gibson. It's a real shame, since their guitars are what a lot of us really like. I sure hope people with problems like the one you have don't roll over and force Gibson to clean up their act. I'm very happy with the vintage Gibson and five year old Epiphone I own, but stories like yours give me a lot of pause about buying anything new from them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Musikron and others..

Well yes I contacted Gibson/Epiphone Europe they asked me to send them the photo's I did so and they said "Its fret-wear, every player is different, some wear frets faster than others, there is nothing we can do for you" They seemed more interested in asking if I was having a nice day! a smug attitude.

The Luthier who looked at the bass for me has written his report confirming the substandard fret-wire. I have been directed by consumer rights to Trading standards I think they look at the report from my Luthier and the report from the dealer/Epiphone's Luthier , I'm not sure what then. Probably better for me if I got reports from several Luthiers, to ovoid the presumption that Gibson/Epiphone must be right because their a big established company!

Its all very long and drawn out, the customer is never considered first, I think that notion went out the window a long time ago. Nowadays its all about who makes the most dollars or in this case pounds...Systematic abuse!

Well' date=' I'm still trying to get my T/bird pro sorted, though Consumer rights.

I think the standard Epi t/birds are better made, unless you can get an Elitist which I would love. Course there's always Tokai, generally it seems the older ones are better. Unless of course you get a Gibson![/quote']

Hi

I assume that by "Consumer Rights" that you mean Consumer Direct? Although they are generally helpful with advice actually getting them to DO something is something you'll wait an awful long time for, probably forever.

You might want to take a look at the following link

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/SGAknowyourrights/

This states categorically that (under UK law) "If you have bought goods you have a right to expect that they should be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality:"

Frets that only last four months are not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. Frets that are "slightly softer than some other brands" means that they too soft and are not fit for purpose. If you bought a silver coloured wrench and later found out it was chrome plated chocolate would the manufacturer be able to claim that "some materials are softer than others" I don't think so. Don't bother going to Gibson, Epiphone (whoever), in the UK your contract is with the dealer who sold you the bass and it is entirely up to them to put the matter right.

As you already have an independent report I would suggest that you take your bass and a copy of the report to your local Citizens Advice Bureau and seek their advice. If they advise that you do have a case then you should file a claim in the small claims court (CAB will advise you on how to do this. It's inexpensive and if/when you win you can claim the fee as costs). It's up to you what you decide to claim for (new bass/refret/refund) but your claim should also include the costs of any report(s) that you have paid for. Send a letter to the dealer telling them that you are taking this action.

You could also ask the members here to email you their opinions on how long frets on a bass should last before a fret dress or refret becomes necessary (as a luthier, Musikron's opinion would be great). Maybe they could send you some pics of the condition of the frets on their bass and state how old the bass is. I'd be happy to send/post pics of the frets on my early 80's Squier Jazz Bass (hardly top of the range is it?) which I know was gigged solidly for 8 years and has only a little wear to the frets.

In the meantime you should take your story to your local newspaper, retailers hate bad publicity.

I guess the one thing we've learned is exactly how long a Limited Lifetime Warranty lasts.

To Musikron and Jonnyg

Yes I did mean Consumer direct, what they've done is passed the complaint on to Trading standards at Salford city council, because I'm a Salford resident and trading standards have written to me asking for copies of all agreements, letters, reports etc so I'm going to do that.

If Musikron and any other Luthiers reading about this want to email me a report based on the photo's, or any other info that may help me I would be eternally grateful my email is...mothytim2001@googlemail.com

Thanks johhnyg I take your advice about Citizens advice as well.

Thank you for this help, heres hoping

This just keeps looking worse for Gibson. I went ahead and bought a Squier Modified Jazz Bass. Less money and great reviews. Guess I'll find out if Fender backs thier budget brand any better than Gibson. Hopefully the bass will be cool and I won't have to find out. David

This just keeps looking worse for Gibson. I went ahead and bought a Squier Modified Jazz Bass. Less money and great reviews. Guess I'll find out if Fender backs thier budget brand any better than Gibson. Hopefully the bass will be cool and I won't have to find out. David

You won't have any problem with it. They kick ***.

• 3 weeks later...

For Musikron and others

Latest on t/bird pro prob.

Well developments are Trading standards tell me that I will have to get another or 3rd report on the t/bird pro from another Luthier because when I agreed to the dealer ,Dawsons, having their Gibson/Epiphone endorsed Luthier look at it that may have been a mistake!

Trading standards say that Dawsons could argue that because I agreed to a Gibson endorsed Luthier looking at it they, Dawsons, could refuse a third opinion on the grounds that there is no need because their Gibson guy says its ok , so therefore it must be!

I suppose the arguement is that in the eyes of someone judging the Gibson dude knows best!

Of course the Gibson dude is gonna be biased to the manifacturer whom he is endorsed by!!

But it seems Dawsons will stall as much as they can and because its been several months they'll take the that time into account of the t/birds worth.

The usual systematic abuse!!!

Dont buy T/BIRD PRO BASSES, DONT BUY FROM DAWSONS!

Stick with it and do what you gotta do. A bass, or any instrument, which is described as "pro" should not need repairing in the short time you've had it and the amount of use you say it's had. Perhaps the question you should ask is what do Gibson/Epiphone/ Dawsons consider the amount of "pro" or professional use the bass should be able to tolerate before a fret dress (at the very least) is required. I bet it'd be more than three months.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived