Gibson Brands Forums

Pick problem

DoubleSixx

First off I love my Les Paul.

How do you know when you're pick is worn out ?

Lately I can't settle on a pick, the regular Dunlop shape or the Dunlop sharps.

I know this isn't a Les Paul problem, but it's a problem I'm having while playing my

Les Paul.

Hopefully I get some advice before this gets deleted.

I guess a follow up question is when do you consider your strings are worn out and

need changing ?

Thanx in advance.

When my pick breaks I throw it away, and I would encourage anyone to get as many differant picks as possible. All sorts of differant tones come from differant thinknesses, and materials.

I replace strings every 6mos or so. Some may replace sooner depending on how often the guitar is played, and the conditions the guitar is submitted too.

Obviously picks are a highly personal thing.

If you can play just as well with a warn-out pick as well as a brand new one, then don't let keep buying more if you're content.

There are no rules for this kind of thing.

Personally, I play Dunlop Tortex sharps and replace them as the tip is rounded out. Alot of guitar players don't care or it makes no difference in their playing one way or another. I save all my rounded picks and then give them away.

First off I love my Les Paul.

How do you know when you're pick is worn out ?

Lately I can't settle on a pick' date=' the regular Dunlop shape or the Dunlop sharps.

I know this isn't a Les Paul problem, but it's a problem I'm having while playing my

Les Paul.

Hopefully I get some advice before this gets deleted.

I guess a follow up question is when do you consider your strings are worn out and

need changing ?

Thanx in advance.

[/quote']

I would say that if your tone starts sounding a little dead, you definitely need new strings. If you can't get enough volume, that's another dead giveaway.

theDRP

www.myguitarspace.com

What Ian said.

The pick that I like best is regular old Fender 351 Medium picks; I like the way they feel and their nice, sharp attack. Others like tortex for their durability but I think they feel too soft. The nice thing about the Fender picks is, even though I go through 4-6 of them during a three hour rehearsal is that they're cheap; I buy them by the gross which works out to around 19 cents per pick so I have no problem chucking one once it's all beat up.

I find that using a thicker and heavier pick for electric will usually give me a full and decent sound. It's also easier to control especially when you're ripping and shredding. For acoustics, I prefer a thin pick for chord playing, and medium pick for everything else. I'm especially fond of Fender celluloids.

They're worn out when they break or you lose 'em.

I like the Fender 351 premium celluloid and I keep packs of all three thicknesses around. Red for light, green for medium, blue for thick. Which one I play depends on what I'm playing (guitar and tune) although the Gibsons seem to sound better with thick picks rather than with the mediums or thins.

Which one are you using ? I wish they weren't clear so I could get a better look.

Can you still do pinch harmonics ? Once it gets stuck to your thumb and you

re-adjust easily ?

How long do they last ?

Thanx for the help.

I prefer the Screamer for both electric and acoustic playing. Yes, you can get pinch harmonics easily. Readjustment is no problem.

How long do they last? Well, the one I've been using the most since I got it in April has only just now begun to show very slight signs of wear, and that's only on one tip. Each pick is a tri-tip, so when one side is completely useless, turn it and you have a totally new pick.

Try V-Picks. You will NEVER go back to anything else!

Click here for V-Picks site.

$4.00 per pick? I don't know... those could get to be VERY expensive with the way I play and go through picks. I also have a bit of a problem with stuff that is being marketed as "Creamy high end, strong mids, a beefy bottom end and more volume." To me, that sounds like a bunch of BS or could just be translated to "the same, but louder." I hate the buzz word "creamy;" it's used to describe everything related to guitar.

Worn out I can't recall having ever worn a pick out Iv broken hundreds and lost countless thousands but worn out ???

I wear out at least 4 and usually more over a three hour band rehearsal; the tip gets ground down and notched. I tend to be pretty heavy handed though. If I remember, I'll scoop up my worn out picks after rehearsal next week, take a picture of them and post them.

Picks are totally subjective. I use a V-Pick Screamer for some applications and a Dunlop .46 for others. I turn the Dunlop on one of it's sides and the grip texture gives my tone a very layered effect (hard to put into words), especially when playing more ambient/delayed notes/layers. Like many of you, I'm still on the hunt for the "perfect" pick.

Obviously picks are a highly personal thing.

If you can play just as well with a warn-out pick as well as a brand new one' date=' then don't let keep buying more if you're content.

There are no rules for this kind of thing.

Personally, I play Dunlop Tortex sharps and replace them as the tip is rounded out. Alot of guitar players don't care or it makes no difference in their playing one way or another. I save all my rounded picks and then give them away.[/quote']

I do the same thing. I keep all of my nice picks locked up in my case because my little bro has this annoying little friend who is a brat so he comes and steals all of my picks and denies it. I wrote my initials on the picks!!! he said he likes to do that with his picks and his parents back him up on it. "hes done that with all of his picks" Thats because they're mine. long story short. I hate that kid.

I wear out at least 4 and usually more over a three hour band rehearsal; the tip gets ground down and notched. I tend to be pretty heavy handed though. If I remember' date=' I'll scoop up my worn out picks after rehearsal next week, take a picture of them and post them.[/quote']

Malcolm Young wears out about 40-50 picks a night, so I guess it's not THAT bad. I like to use either Fender 351's (thick or extra thick), or Dunlop Jazz III's. It's better to settle on one of those, though, because adjusting yourself to the different sizes of these picks takes a while.

I am getting the best results from plain old Dunlop nylon mediums right now, which seems to be very resistant to wear.

I never used to get any pick wear either, but then, I used copper picks and played straight rhythm guitar. I started noticing pick wear when I started trying to pick up lead. I noticed all this pink dust on the white pickguard of my strat..... (yes, pink picks. And that will teach me to tell my wife to pick me up some picks while she is out eusa_angel.gif ....)

I change picks when I can't get the tones with the one I am using anymore. It's hard to give a wear indication, as it sounds like from reading this thread I have a unique picking style. (i.e. my points never get rounded) Which begs the question... how DO you guys pick?

I know this seems like a non- LP issue... but....

I have had to change my technique on my Lester considerably from what works on the Strat... a much lighter touch, and I can't dig in for the pinch harmonics without choking the tone. (another way of saying this would be that I can get harmonics with much less effort :-k ) So, what part of the pick do you use? do you choke down on it so you use just a smidge? Do you pick at an angle to the string or do you flat pick?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Malcolm Young wears out about 40-50 picks a night' date=' so I guess it's not THAT bad.[/quote']

Heh! I'll bet he does! I could definitely discard more of them during practice (probably more than twice what I use) but I tend to take them as far as I can before they become a hindrance as it already costs me around $1.20 per practice just for picks. That's small change until I start thinking about the gas I spend traveling to and from our rehearsal space so I try to keep my expenses as low as I can. Assuming Malcolm pays around 20 cents per pick, he's going through $8 to $10 in picks per night - I'm not making AC/DC money.

^^^^^^^^^^

I turn my Dunlop .46 and use one of the two rounded edges with the grip imprint. It gives you a unique textured sound especially when palm muting... it's a great effect. You should experiment with it.

EXACTLY what I do.... play with the pick sideways, point to my palm. My picks get sharper the more I play....

$4.00 per pick? I don't know... those could get to be VERY expensive with the way I play and go through picks. I also have a bit of a problem with stuff that is being marketed as "Creamy high end' date=' strong mids, a beefy bottom end and more volume." To me, that sounds like a bunch of BS or could just be translated to "the same, but louder." I hate the buzz word "creamy;" it's used to describe everything related to guitar.[/quote']

Well, I like them. To each his own, I guess...

I'm not criticizing anybody now, but it boggles my mind sometimes to think that there are players who are willing to spend $2k and up on fine guitars, and yet they're not willing to spend more than 2 bits on the first thing that touches them.

Archived