Gibson Brands Forums

Pick problem

DoubleSixx

Well' date=' I like them. To each his own, I guess...

I'm not criticizing anybody now, but it boggles my mind sometimes to think that there are players who are willing to spend [b']$2k and up [/b]on fine guitars, and yet they're not willing to spend more than 2 bits on the first thing that touches them.

I'm willing to spend good money on some things but not on others.

Amps: Depends on the application, but generally I go upscale. Even a crappy guitar will sound good through a good amp but the reverse is not true.

Picks: I grind them up in less than 20 minutes (including song breaks) so it makes no sense for me to buy expensive picks.

Strings: I replace them every couple of weeks and the ones I buy are the same as brand names, but without all the hype and money spent on advertising.

Cables: George L's or death.

Effects: I have a big GAS problem with pedals and I tend to buy "boutique." See my sig.

Thanx for all the replies.

I'll give the V-pick a shot, I currently use the Dunlop Tortex 1.14, regulars and sharps.

There was a time I used the Jazz picks which was ok but they warped from being so small.

I don't remember the gauge, I could play faster but consequently I would also miss strings.

Just seemed like I can play certain things better the one pick over the others. So I started

wondering if I was wearing them out. Both are entirely different, and switching between

the two picks was getting frustrating.

Generally I switch strings monthly, I don't do shows or anything so I know I don't have to

change them so often.

So trying to figure out if I was wearing out the picks or strings was bugging me.

Plus a few months back I switch to .11s.

Cvansickle what did you think of using such a heavy gauge pick ?

I think I'll get two different gauges just to see what I like best.

Cvansickle what did you think of using such a heavy gauge pick ?

I think I'll get two different gauges just to see what I like best.

I ordered a Screamer first. When I first got it' date=' I thought it was a little too thick for me. Next, I ordered a [b']Large Lite Pointed[/b]. Not bad, but still not what I was after. I went back to the Screamer, and when I was able to spend more time with it, I realized it was exactly what I needed. These picks aren't just for playing, but they help you improve your touch and technique too. No way I can go back to celluloid flat picks now.

I thought I would keep the Lites for acoustic, since I always used Thins on acoustic before. But it turns out that the Screamer works better for me on acoustic too.

If you're going to try two different ones, I would suggest getting one pointed, like a Screamer, and another with rounded corners. And - whenever I bought one or two to try, Vinni always included an extra one or two pics free, ones very different for what I actually ordered. Vinni is good people, buy with confidence. I got to meet him and his wife and son at NAMM last month, and it was a pleasure doing business with the whole family.

I like the Dunlop Ultex! They come 6 to a pack, click like old Fender celluloid pics, and wear like IRON! I've used some of the same picks from my FIRST PACK for years now. They go through the washer and dryer extremely well too! In a pinch you can use them like a screwdriver even!

Have you ever tried the Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz III's? Out of all of the Jazz pics I like them the most. I went on a pic hunt last year and tried everything I could get my hands on. I ran across some pretty cool pics in my venture, but I’ve settled with the Jazz III’s because they are heavy and sharp enough but they still have a tiny bit of flex that really helps me attain my style of pick’n. I cut cross hatching into the tops of them for grip and it works great! I would say my #2 preference would have to be the 1.6mm Brain picks, they are larger than the Jazz III’s but they still feel very good to play with for the heavy rhythm riff’n. But as a few folks have already stated, it’s really a personal thing.

And I’ve worn out picks before; I tend to really round off the old Dunlop .73 Tortex Std.’s I used to use.

I use Martin Mediums, I have a Gibson heavy, a silver pick and an unknown bought by my wife at Gruhn Guitars which is very good (I keep that one by the couch 'cause the Martins are tortoise and hard to find on a brown couch).

I keep my picks until they get too soft, like worn out strings if they don't have chime they have to go...also do a cople of pick scratches and the edges go fast

Acoustic guitars need fresh picks to sound better, at least unplugged.

I should be practicing right now, damned this forum is addictive...

• 2 weeks later...

I wear out at least 4 and usually more over a three hour band rehearsal; the tip gets ground down and notched. I tend to be pretty heavy handed though. If I remember' date=' I'll scoop up my worn out picks after rehearsal next week, take a picture of them and post them.[/quote']

Here they are. These are from this week's three hour rehearsal. I really like the feel and attack of celluloid picks and this is why I buy them as cheaply as possible. The first pick in the top left is unused for comparison. The one that has the tip busted right off is from a particularly exuberant song ending and isn't typical.

Click the photo to enlarge it.

pickssm.jpg

Being heavy handed is really just part of it though, it's also the way I hold the pick. For a lot of stuff I do, I angle it a few different ways similar to how you would for pinch harmonics but while playing rhythm parts. So, with the pick angled, it gets ground down along the edge pretty fast which doesn't happen while flat picking.

i find celluloids to be pretty durable.

i have a bunch of different materials as well as thicknesses. i find myself always going back to the dunlop medium celluloids.

as stated in most replies already. this is a very personal preference.

I love the Dunlop Tortex 1mm (blues). I would say that I get a good 4 - 5 hours of playing time out of each pick before I need to discard it. The edges just become rounded and lose their bite.

As for strings, I would guess that I get about 10 - 15 hours of playing time out of a set before I change them (Ernie ball 10s). Also, unless they only have 1 - 2 hours on them, I will always change them before gigs and studio sessions. At $3.00 per set (especially when you buy in bulk), I'd rather have the crisp clean tone.

Between my 3 LPs, I wind up changing the strings on 1 or 2 of them each month.

Just my preference - everyone is different.

I found the perfect pick for me about 10 years ago - great for electric and acoustic and not too expensive. I CAN play without them' date=' but I hate to.

[img']http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/morettaj/Dava.jpg[/img]

I love, these picks, bought them, gave them away, practically marketed them. But they're hard to find around here, and a bit expensive, so I got a big bag of cheap celluloid Musicians Friend picks to use with my acoustic...because I always seem to lose picks around the house. Not playing out, but around the house.

And then I went through a spell of about a year when I never got to play out, and when I went back the the Les Paul, I couldn't play!? It finally occurred to me to try the cheap picks...and I discovered that my stupid fingers have switched alliances.

The celluloids round off a lot quicker than the Davas, but they're bigger overall, so now I bing my knuckles on the strings when I try to "dig in" with a Dava.

Oh, well. I'm not throwing the Davas out!

What does help a little and doesn't involve much time is rubbing the edges of the pick on the leg of your jeans. I don't get a lot more life out of them, but at home it's sometimes easier than getting up to grab another pick. ;)

Archived