Gibson Brands Forums

A Lot Of LP Copies Out There

tflanster

I've been looking at Craigslist San Francisco, L.A., Bakersfield, Fresno and other places in CA and am seeing a lot of copies of LP Customs, Standards, etc. Copies by Cort and Agile mostly along with some other names I don't recall. So, have any of ya'll seen or played any of these? Just curious. I'm not interested in buying one (unless I can get one for about $20.00). Some of them look pretty good.

I looked at Cort and Agile's websites and there must be a few dozen different copies from under $150.00 to as much as $700.00+

I wouldn't mind getting another LP. I had a real nice LP Custom Quilted Cherry that I foolishly sold. But like others in today's economy, I don't have a lot of GAS $$$ to spend. I'm Just curious about some of these uh, knockoffs[confused]

I'm now down to only 3 guitars - an Epi acoustic, an Ibanez A/E and an Ibanez semi-hollow electric. Gotta lose at least one of them before looking at another LP[crying]

Thanks for opinions.

The Agiles are supposed to be quite good, although you may have to return one or two. They've got quite a following now, even an independent forum: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/portal.php

Some of the members here have one or more Agiles, and I myself look at their site almost every day for new releases.

As for Cort, they also seem to have a decent following and rep, but I have no direct experience. For all I know they could be made in some of the same factories as many of the other LP copies (including Epi).

I have 5 Agiles, all very nice guitars. The AL-3x00 series are very nice. Ebony fretboards, either REAL MOP or Abalone inlays and upgraded electronics, Alpha pots like what Stewmac sells with brass bushings. Even real vintage cloth wire. I looked at Agiles for a little over a year before I bought one. It took me a while to get used to the rounded horn but that doesn't bother me at all now. I have never owned an Elitist, but I would have to say the the AL-3x00 series are in the same ball park. I have an AL-3000M which is a cut above the AL-3x00 series. It has a 3/4" maple cap and TonePros bridge and tailpiece. Definitely worth every penny I paid for it, and only $500. The price of these guitars has gone up, I think they are $600 now, but still worth it. My AL-3100 was $399. I have 2 AL-2000s and I would say the quality of these is the same range as my Epi '56 Goldtop. I paid $200 for each of the AL-2000s and $500 for my GT.

Here's my AL-3000M

PointerKnobs007.jpg

My AL-3100

AL-3100angledreverse.jpg

My AL-2000

AL-2000CSB10.jpg

And my other AL-2000

AL-2000TE9.jpg

My AL-3000 HSBF (Honey Sun Burst Flametop) sounds every bit as good as my 30th. Anniversary Gibson LP Plaintop.

And thats saying a LOT !!

Heres my Agile

GarysCam115.jpg

Edit: Thats camera flash by the bridge p'up, not blemishes..........it was photo'd in a plexi-face wallmount case. (from the same place as the Agiles, $89)

Did you get the slim or wide neck on your HSBF AL3000? I oftened wondered about their neck profiles.

Is their wide neck the same as the baseball bat type 59' or like a cross between a C and a D neck or like the slash epi. I figure the slim taper is close to that of a 60's LP. What is their std neck profile?

I couldn't seem to locate much info on the Rondo site about neck profiles. @ a weight of 10 lbs, they have some beef to em' ........................................markerdown

Did you get the slim or wide neck on your HSBF AL3000? I oftened wondered about their neck profiles.

Is their wide neck the same as the baseball bat type 59' or like a cross between a C and a D neck or like the slash epi. I figure the slim taper is close to that of a 60's LP. What is their std neck profile?

I couldn't seem to locate much info on the Rondo site about neck profiles. @ a weight of 10 lbs' date=' they have some beef to em' ........................................markerdown[/quote']

Mine has the "standard" profile neck, and in all honesty, I play (& have played) so many different neck styles that I don't even notice a difference anymore, except for scale length.

My SG elite has the slim tapered neck profile and I find that after about 30 min of power/barre chords, my hand begins to cramp. I tried all kinds of strength exercises but, I chalked that up to gettin old. No such problems with the neck on my slash epi , my std epi 's or my '52 RI tele.

My strats are all the std C shape and I have no problems there either. I did have a gibby SG at one time that had the baseball bat neck profile. At that time I didn't care much for it and it got traded. That was one that I regret trading as well as a MIJ 54LS strat with a hard V neck [cool]

I'm liking that AL3000 HSBF .....alot...................markerdown

Archived