Gibson Brands Forums

Electrics problem with Dot. . . Advice?

Bruce_09

I started playing my Dot today to find that something has happened to the electrics in the volume knob for the bridge pickup.

When I turn the knob, I get a lot of crackling and when I turn the volume up and play it sounds fuzzy and disconnected.

I poked around a little bit and got some crackling and such when I touched the wire.

It's definitely not the amp, because it's crystal clear when I switch to the neck pickup.

What can I do? Will I have to go through the painful process of replacing the electrics?

Was the pot loose? [biggrin]

1.) If so, you may have rotated the pot to the point where a wire either came loose, or is touching another contact.

Carefully loosen the nut holding the pot a couple of turns and spin the knob. If the crackling stops, then tighten the nut holding the pot. [biggrin]

2.) If not, then you might need to re-solder one of the wires connecting to the pot. [angry]

3.) Or, it could be the pot itself, but usually that type of problem happens over a period of time. [angry] [angry]

My diagnosis is probably a loose wire or pot though. [crying]

Was the pot loose? [biggrin]

1.) If so' date=' you may have rotated the pot to the point where a wire either came loose, or is touching another contact.

Carefully loosen the nut holding the pot a couple of turns and spin the knob. If the crackling stops, then tighten the nut holding the pot. [biggrin

2.) If not, then you might need to re-solder one of the wires connecting to the pot. [angry]

3.) Or, it could be the pot itself, but usually that type of problem happens over a period of time. [angry] [angry]

My diagnosis is probably a loose wire or pot though. [crying]

Nothing feels particularly loose. The guitar is only a couple of years out of the factory so I'm a little surprised that something like this has happened.

a couple of options out there on the market for new assemblies you can also buy the parts and make it yourself or get someone to make it for you. I have two assemblies on order from Jon Moore in Canada he is also winding a set of pickups for me...

these are also good

BCS guitars

http://bcsguitars.com/?page_id=837

or Mojotone (I used one of their assemblies in my Joe Pass...)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I agree. If you have a pot problem it's going to be a fiddly job to fix due to the f-holes. Therfore, change it all (not expensive) for CTS or Alpha pots, orange drop caps, switchcraft jack and switch (these are the parts that normally cause people problems first so replace them now while you're in there).

You'll be amazed, not only with the improvement in sound but also the difference in parts quality when you compare them with what comes out.

Archived