Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to strip gold harware to chrome effect?

chewy1281734128

Whats the best way to strip the gold finish off a bridge and tailpiece?

I don’t like the gold finish from my sheraton II and it doesn’t go with my chrome pick ups ive put on - im all willing to buy new….but im struggling to find ones that fit perfectly.

I put the chrome bridge and tail piece from my sg onto my sheraton. The fit wasn’t perfect, but it did fit and I have gigged with it a lot since. But ive had problems playing with it ever since I put it on - and the same with my sg, and I want both chrome.

So - I want to strip the gold off the original sheraton bridge / tail piece.

Any ideas? ive heard oven cleaner….even urine…! Id rather try oven cleaner…

As I said, im willing to buy but the sheraton seems a ***** to find fitting bridges for.

Sorry to be a killjoy but taking the gold off will give you a nickel look at best certainly not chrome, have you thought of getting a pair of gold covers for your pickups might be easier.....If not PM Strumbone and ask where Twang got the parts for Strum's chrome makeover......I think Strum's Sheraton is 1999 or 2000 Samick so it can be done...

I am going to stay all gold on my two if possible...

Hi Chewy,

What's the spacing on your bridge from centre post to centre post? If it's 74mm you have a few choices (any tailpeice within reason will fit). If it's 71mm you only have 1 option.

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Bridge_for_Epiphone_Sheraton_Chrome_GE103DC

Note though that the underneath is not recessed to the posts like the original part so your action may be a little higher unless you can file it, which isn't a big problem to do.

I have one that I don't need I can let you have for a tenner if so. It's not filed but it will fit 71mm and it's brand new.

Alternatively the oven cleaner might work but I'm not sure it will take the gold off the threads as the may be anodised rather than plated. It might look odd iff you can't get it all off.

Nigel.

• 4 weeks later...
Whats the best way to strip the gold finish off a bridge and tailpiece?

I don’t like the gold finish from my sheraton II and it doesn’t go with my chrome pick ups ive put on - im all willing to buy new….but im struggling to find ones that fit perfectly.

I put the chrome bridge and tail piece from my sg onto my sheraton. The fit wasn’t perfect' date=' but it did fit and I have gigged with it a lot since. But ive had problems playing with it ever since I put it on - and the same with my sg, and I want both chrome.

So - I want to strip the gold off the original sheraton bridge / tail piece.

Any ideas? ive heard oven cleaner….even urine…! Id rather try oven cleaner…

As I said, im willing to buy but the sheraton seems a ***** to find fitting bridges for.

[/quote']

Hi Chewy. I know that one. You can't strip the plating.

I got the same problem with a SG Prophecy GX. So I got all the gold hardware plated over with rhodium, including the screws, even the pickups'.

Rhodium plating is very usual for silver jewelry. It has silver's color and hue, but its very hard and corrosion resistant, so it doesnt stain or scratch. To give you an idea, unalloyed gold has a hardness of 2.5 in Mohs scale. Nickel is 4.0, rhodium is 6.0 and chrome is 8.5.

Bear in mind that chrome has a bluish hue, and is somewhat darker than rhodium. chrome and rhodium plated parts won't perfectly match.

I chose rhodium because I didn't find any place to do chrome plating, and a friend of a friend works at a jewelry plating shop, so I got to pay materials only.

Of course, you can choose chrome plating.

Good luck, and post some before/after pics.

Apparently Nevr Dull (available at your local automotive store/wallmart) eats gold plating for breakfast.

So does BRASSO (found out "accidentally" on a set of gold pups),

but a Bridge is too detailed to try it on. Tailpiece, yes - Bridge, NO WAY!

Any abrasive metal polish will take the thin gold plating right off with little effort. But as Animal says, very difficult to get into the nooks and crannies of a bridge with it. Maybe if you completely disassemble the bridge and go at it with a toothbrush or something.

But you might might be better off to order new nickel or chrome-plated parts.

Personally, I prefer nickel...

Archived