Gibson Brands Forums

SG Hardshell Case

mikethehamster

Hello!

I recently purchased a Gibson SG Classic (which only comes with a gig bag) and had to go shopping for a case. The store I went to had two models, a basic "Made in Canada" case for $70, and a Gator Deluxe ABS case for $80. Before making my decision, I read a whole bunch of reviews on the Gator case to see if it was worth the extra $10.

With the product description along with many online reviews from Gibson SG owners saying that there was no movement in the case, I decided to spend the extra $10.

Boy was that a bad decision. The inside of the case is carved out foam in the shape of an SG, so by eye-balling it it'd appear to fit perfectly. It's a shame that the dimensions are completely wrong. The body length (from bridge strap button to neck) was about 1 inch too large, so the guitar would shift back and forth. The width was also about 1/4 inch too large so it'd shift in the other direction as well. In addition, the neck rest was also too big for the neck! so if you were to push on the neck it'd shift and the tuners would touch the sides of the case! And one final thing, when you close the case the guitar does not make contact with the lid so it's free to flop back and forth between the bottom of the case and the lid.

What cases do you guys use for SGs that come with gig bags? Preferably for $100 or less.

I would think any reputable store would take back the Gator. After all, if you ask for an SG case, they sell you one, and then it doesn't fit an SG you should be able to return it.

The official Gibson cases are TKL brand which are made in Canada, so it's likely the $70 one is a TKL. It may not be the same model as the Gibson, but at least they'll know how to make it fit.

As I was typing this, I remembered that my used '03 Special faded came with an aftermarket case so I dug it out to see if it was a TKL. It didn't say TKL anywhere, but it did have a "Case Made in Canada" tag on the compartment lid. It fits like a glove with NO movement side to side, end to end, or front to back. The neck also doesn't move. If this is the one your store sells, get it! By the way, it didn't have an arched top like the Gibson but in my opinion, a guitar as flat as an SG doesn't really need it.

I've posted some photos so you can check it out and compare it to the $70 one. There are two photos of the tag. One is a close up and the other is also supposed to show a padded "ramp" that sits under the neck heel for added support (you can't see it very well).

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/2manyGuitars/SG%20case/

I have an SG Classic as well. I bought a Musicians friend case hoping for the best. It could not have been better. It was $45 last year when I ordered it. I bet it costs more now but it has held up as well as my Gibson Les Paul case which as you know costs considerably more.

If you're looking for the best non- custom case available it is the TLK Prestige that is available mail order from FQMS. I bought and returned the Gator case for my Classic due to the single point neck support. The SKB cas was disapointing for the price to say the least. The TLK prestige is the case Gibson spec's for it's high end SG's .

In my opinion' date='every guitar should come with a hardshell case standard[/quote']

Guitar Randy Is Right, A quality name like gibson should come with the best protection for your insturment.

Look for EX. The Les Paul menace comes With HSC. But The SG Menace Does Not

Not including the case is one way of keeping the price lower...hence the LP Menace costing 60 bucks more that the SG Menace. Personally, I agree with always providing a HSC. Then I don't have to worry about buying another brand and not having it fit the guitar correctly.

Not including the case is one way of keeping the price lower...hence the LP Menace costing 60 bucks more that the SG Menace. Personally' date=' I agree with always providing a HSC. Then I don't have to worry about buying another brand and not having it fit the guitar correctly.[/quote']

Thanks For The Infoo:)

Archived