Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on Finish

metalhed717

im considering smoothing down the finish on my sg to a more satin finish, but im afraid it will lighten the finish too much, and i really like the deep red it is now, i just wish it wasnt quite so shiny. i did this to my old strat (also red) and it made it quite a bit lighter, even looks a bit pink in the right light, but i like it on the strat. im a sucker for cherry sg's though. i also didnt polish the finish on the strat after i did it, so that may have made a slight difference in color. has anyone done this and arer you pleased with the results?

btw all i did to the strat was take some abrasive dish washing pads to it to dull it down. with the sg i might go all the way and use a pad attached to a hand sander and polish it sfterward.

im considering smoothing down the finish on my sg to a more satin finish' date=' but im afraid it will lighten the finish too much, and i really like the deep red it is now, i just wish it wasnt quite so shiny. i did this to my old strat (also red) and it made it quite a bit lighter, even looks a bit pink in the right light, but i like it on the strat. im a sucker for cherry sg's though. i also didnt polish the finish on the strat after i did it, so that may have made a slight difference in color. has anyone done this and arer you pleased with the results?

.[/quote']

I seriously doubt that dulling the poly will affect the color of the guitar at all.... if you sand THROUGH the poly and start sanding the actual colored finish, then all bets are off. There are a few threads on MLP dealing with this .... one member had spectacular results - I believe he used a Black and Decker Mouse type sander, but ya gots to be carefully with the motorized stuff...heh

Try this post: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/8198-dulling-poly-finish.html

I think I agree that steel wool will scratch it' date=' and fine grit (1500 or higher) buffing cloth is a better approach.

I would not use a motorized sander under any circumstances....[/quote']

yes i used another post on this site before i did my strat. i didnt use steel wool i used abrasive dish pads, but they also left some scratches. i wouldnt actually be using sandpaper with the sander but a soft pad thing that goes on it.

The abrasive surface on dish pads is much too coarse. Go to the hardware store and find some 0000 steel wool. This is very fine and is the best thing for dulling the finish. If you have a mouse sander or something, it's best to use that and get the appropriate 0000 steel wool pad for it. That way, you'll get an even finish. You simply very lightly move the sander back and forth over the finish, allowing it to do all the work. don't put any pressure on it at all, other than to direct it. Then you can use a scratch and swirl remover to give it a very light sheen and remove any light swirls and scratches.

Archived