Gibson Brands Forums

les paul custom worth the money?

mbberry

other than acoustics i don't own a guitar that was designed after the early 1960's.

there's just something i love about vintage guitars. i just cant afford them. i have a squier classic vibe 50's,

a dot that i modded to early sixties specs, and a 56 goldtop that i did the same way.

considering that les himself wanted a gold and a black guitar when he designed them i would like to get a custom.

i just cant see how the $150 price difference between a custom and a standard is worth it.

i've been looking at some of the old lawsuit models on ebay but they seem overpriced as well.

any advice or opinions?

is an epiphone custom worth it when i can get a genuine fender 50's tele for the same price?

I also don't see how, on an Epiphone, the cosmetic differences would warrant that much of a price hike for a custom over a standard.

If you want '50s guitars and are prepared to pay a bit more then the 1959 LP reissue offers a massive quality jump in hardware and electronics which, IMO, are well worth the difference in price. There would be no need to think about upgrades with one of those.

If you want an even earlier '50s model LP, how about the goldtop with the P90s. I believe these were the first Les Pauls produced and were to the spec of the man himself.

If I were buying an Epi Les Paul these days, I'd probably choose the 59 Reissue in a Cherry Sunburst. It has Gibson Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups, a Switchcraft toggle switch, and Mallory caps. It comes with a case, which saves you about $100. The reviews indicate that the setup is nicely done from the factory. Considering that I spent another $300 changing pickups, a bridge, pickguard, and toggle switch, not to mention that I had to dress the frets, it looks like it's worth the money, especially considering you get the case to boot.

I also don't see how' date=' on an Epiphone, the cosmetic differences would warrant that much of a price hike for a custom over a standard.

[/quote']

Binding and inlays. That's a buncha extra work. They may be asian-made, but somebody still has to put in the hours to do the work.

Archived