Gibson Brands Forums

I feel like buying a guitar......

Svet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like Sgs at all i'd say get a Prophecy sg custom Gx,,the necks are unbelieveable and the Gibson dirty fingers pickups absolutely rule. Plus they are visually stunning take a look at mine

DSC01588.jpg

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

Sorry Svet, as I don't know what you have for an inventory, nor what your preferences are, I may be way off, but here goes.

Solid Body:

Epi Black Beauty - Personnaly I like the 2 pick up, but the BB3 seems to be everywhere.

Gibby Melody Maker

Agile Al-3200 - So, you can't just drive over and pick it up, but she sure is nice: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3200.htm

Semi and Hollow Body:

Sledges WildKat - Still can't drive over, but she is so worthy!

Acoustic and ElectroAcoustic

Gibson Songwriter - Any of them!

Let us know!

Sheila

svet, in the same boat. have about 500 to get something from the store. was looking for something differrent. like a sterling by music man or a strat. but, u never know what u will find in the used section.

for number 30 how bout a prs!!!! not sure what ur budget is.

What should I get? It's Valentines day and I feel like treating myself to something. The wife is working so I can just drive up there get one and come home. It would bring my collection to an even 30 so what should I get?

How about getting something nice for the little lady instead?[blink]

Also, if I had 29 guitars, I would be selling off most of them (at least the cheaper ones) and getting one or two really, really good ones. There's no way you are playing all of those guitars. I was up to about 7 and found that I only played a couple of them, so I sold some off and bought a couple of nicer ones and gave the rest of the money to my daughter in college.

Cheers

If you like Sgs at all i'd say get a Prophecy sg custom Gx' date=',the necks are unbelieveable and the Gibson dirty fingers pickups absolutely rule. Plus they are visually stunning take a look at mine

[img']http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/maniakmusik_photos/DSC01588.jpg[/img]

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

+1 if you like SG's

How about getting something nice for the little lady instead?[biggrin]

Also' date=' if I had 29 guitars, I would be selling off most of them (at least the cheaper ones) and getting one or two really, really good ones. There's no way you are playing all of those guitars. I was up to about 7 and found that I only played a couple of them, so I sold some off and bought a couple of nicer ones and gave the rest of the money to my daughter in college.

Cheers

[/quote']

+1 I aim to have five, probably 3 more than I should ever need, I have 4 at the moment and feel guilty because I have fallen in love with my Sheraton's and don't give my Joe Pass and Levin Archtop the lurvvve they deserve......

There should be a number of guitars that above that numbers it is classed as GG........Guitar Gluttony...........30 geets....... some fine guitars craving attention I bet..........

So what is the GG threshold 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30............Svet.............your guitar excess would probably pay off the debt of a small 3rd world country........[biggrin]

Thanks for all of the ideas guys! I didn't find anything that tickled my fancy enough to buy. I messed with a couple Custom Shop Tele's, a few Lp's and a Gretsch. Had they had a Gibson ES 330 I might have been tempted. So as it stands I just bought some strings and picks. I have been toying with the idea of selling some of my guitars because of lack of use. Mostly my Epiphone Masterbilts as I almost always only play my Martin's when I am in the Acoustic mood. Perhaps I'll part with my Emperor Regent as well as I almost never use it because of my Byrdland, Broadway and my Eastmans.

Which of these categories is under-represented?

*Full depth hollowbody/jazzbox

*Solidbody with singlecoils

*Solidbody with humbuckers

*Semi-hollow

*12-string

*Gretsch

*Whammy bar

*Mini-humbuckers

*Acoustic Steel string

*Acoustic Classical

Might help narrow down the search a bit!

How about getting something nice for the little lady instead?[biggrin]

Also' date=' if I had 29 guitars, I would be selling off most of them (at least the cheaper ones) and getting one or two really, really good ones. There's no way you are playing all of those guitars. I was up to about 7 and found that I only played a couple of them, so I sold some off and bought a couple of nicer ones and gave the rest of the money to my daughter in college.

Cheers

[/quote']

I don't mean to be self-righteous, but if a man's earned his money it's his right to spend it on whatever he bloody well likes. (note: I'm flat broke and living on Pot Noodles and a packet of Lambert & Butler until next payday, so this isn't some sort of elitist statement.)

Svet, mate. How's about a Rickenbacker? Have you got one of those yet?

Failing that...I dunno...

Wangcaster?

wangcaster-460-100-460-70.jpg

Leicester and Parabar are close, I don't have a 12 string or a Ric and that was the avenue I am looking into. They only had a couple at the store and, well, I dunno, I just didn't want em. The rest of Parabar's list is complete with multiples in some of the categorys.

I don't mean to be self-righteous' date=' but if a man's earned his money it's his right to spend it on whatever he bloody well likes. (note: I'm flat broke and living on Pot Noodles and a packet of Lambert & Butler until next payday, so this isn't some sort of elitist statement.)

Svet, mate. How's about a Rickenbacker? Have you got one of those yet?

Failing that...I dunno...

Wangcaster?

[img']http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Product%20News/Guitar/feb09/outrageous/wangcaster-460-100-460-70.jpg[/img]

LOL, my wife was sitting behind me as I was looking at the forum and spotted the "Wangcaster" as dry as a bone she said "Well, if you get one of those, your not hanging it on the wall..."

Hey if she can spend money on something she wanted then you have the right to spend on what you want Equality right.

[biggrin] To be fair I don't think she would ever object to me buying a guitar.........just hanging a "Wangcaster" on the wall' date=' was her "bone" of contention, what kind of guy would want to do that and why........? The guitar is a phallic symbol anyway without any gross overstatement, just check out many of the avatars people use. [biggrin

Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to undermine or deter any forum member who wishes to hang a Wangcaster on their wall. You may not have elderly female relatives with dodgy hearts. This is a personal decision taken by my wife and I, that no Wangcasters will adorn the walls of our home, a joint decision we have come to in the interest of good taste, and health and safety.

Hope your luck turns around Leicester35!

Thanks for your concern Svet.

I changed jobs recently' date=' and my new company made me work 8 weeks "in hand" (as me old Granny used to call it.) Not sure how employers get away with this racket, but there you go. He who writes the cheques calls the shots.

Anyway, once I DO get paid I, too, sense a guitar buying "experience" on the horizon.

Probably a Burns Marquee.

[img']http://www.oasismusicalinstruments.ltd.uk/acatalog/NewBurnsMarqueeProBlack0809.jpg[/img]

I will say it to you again....Gibson J45 True Vintage w/red spruce top. You MUST get one.

Red 333

Hi Red, LOL, I've still yet to try a Gibson acoustic. Sad no? I have 5 acoustics now and I don't use them much. I am actually thinking of letting my Epiphone Masterbilts go.

If you like Sgs at all i'd say get a Prophecy sg custom Gx' date=',the necks are unbelieveable and the Gibson dirty fingers pickups absolutely rule. Plus they are visually stunning take a look at mine

[[/quote']

Hi Maniak, I love SG's but I already have a Gibson 61 RI and that is plenty for me! Thanks though!

gretcshsg.jpg?t=1266184146

Sorry Svet' date=' as I don't know what you have for an inventory, nor what your preferences are, I may be way off, but here goes.

Solid Body:

Epi Black Beauty - Personnaly I like the 2 pick up, but the BB3 seems to be everywhere.

Gibby Melody Maker

Agile Al-3200 - So, you can't just drive over and pick it up, but she sure is nice: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3200.htm

Semi and Hollow Body:

Sledges WildKat - Still can't drive over, but she is so worthy!

Acoustic and ElectroAcoustic

Gibson Songwriter - Any of them!

Let us know!

Sheila

[/quote']

Another vote for a Gibson Acoustic huh? HMMMM

svet' date=' in the same boat. have about 500 to get something from the store. was looking for something differrent. like a sterling by music man or a strat. but, u never know what u will find in the used section.

for number 30 how bout a prs!!!! not sure what ur budget is.[/quote']

Good ideas Wardog! A musicman Albert lee or something eh? PRS are great and I've got a Custom 22/10 top already so that's covered.

Picture287.jpg?t=1266184352

Thanks for your concern Svet.

I changed jobs recently' date=' and my new company made me work 8 weeks "in hand" (as me old Granny used to call it.) Not sure how employers get away with this racket, but there you go. He who writes the cheques calls the shots.

Anyway, once I DO get paid I, too, sense a guitar buying "experience" on the horizon.

Probably a Burns Marquee.

[img']http://www.oasismusicalinstruments.ltd.uk/acatalog/NewBurnsMarqueeProBlack0809.jpg[/img]

Wow, cool! That's certainly different!

Hmmm, you're on to something there MRW1960! Only I want the Gibson with the p90s! A Gibson L5 is my dream guitar but that might be a thought. My dealer used to have several of those in stock but today he didn't. Here are some of my F hole Hollow and semi hollows:

fholes-1.jpg?t=1266184856

Good ideas Wardog! A musicman Albert lee or something eh? PRS are great and I've got a Custom 22/10 top already so that's covered.

Picture287.jpg?t=1266184352

sweet guitar. i was not ready for a prs today, or the sterling. went with my first strat. i players deluxe. flet awesome and sounded great. the on/off button to get 2 more voicings in the 4 and 5 postion is really nice. i will post thread soon with pics

Archived