Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Straplocks??? Which one will work?

atj13

I have tried to fit straplocks to my G400, the Marvel ones did not fit as the original strap button screw head would not fit inside the straplock button. Also the Schaller and Jim Dunlop would not allow the original screw to be used either. I am not happy about using a different screw due to length and width issues, does anyone know which brand will fit using the stock Epi screws? Thanks,

Your pretty much gonna hafta use the screws that come with the lock. It's not that big a deal... I use Schallers m'self. If they're too small, wood glue a piece of a tooth pick into the hole, and then install the new screw. If it's too big, just drill out the hole.

If you're worrying about hurting the guitar take it to a pro.

If you're worrying about resale value. Don't. It's an Epiphone. It has no resale value. It's a mass produced Asian guitar. It will never EVER be worth more than you paid for it.

It's a mass produced Asian guitar. It will never EVER be worth more than you paid for it.

Saving this for the year 2811' date=' when guitars are fabricated from [i']mere thought[/i] and the prices on all genuine hand-made guitars go through the roof. [biggrin]

Your pretty much gonna hafta use the screws that come with the lock. It's not that big a deal... I use Schallers m'self. If they're too small' date=' wood glue a piece of a tooth pick into the hole, and then install the new screw. If it's too big, just drill out the hole.

If you're worrying about hurting the guitar take it to a pro.

If you're worrying about resale value. Don't. It's an Epiphone. It has no resale value. It's a mass produced Asian guitar. It will never EVER be worth more than you paid for it.

[/quote']

Thanks for the replies, yeah I get the value thing it;s just it's my sons guitar and he is pretty fussy about it, I did take it to a guitar shop where we bought it, he couldn't find a set that would work without altering the holes, no drama we will get it sorted, speaking of value, there is a Gibson SG GT (new) in Daytona blue at our local store. I have been seriously thinking about risking 12mths of silent treatment from my wife for that baby, it's seriously a great buy and possibly rare enough (in NZ) to be at least worth what it retails for now in 10 years time. It is the last one left in the country I believe but that could just be the sales guy upping the urgency to grab it.

I dunno about that. I seriously doubt that GT is going to be a collectors item.

On the straplock issue, I use SChallers on EVERYTHING except where the stap button is on the heel of the guitar. I use the little leather locks then, they don't poke you in the hip or ribs like all the others, my favorite schallers included.

Thanks, sorry collectors item wasnt quite where I was heading, I thought perhaps relative depreciation may be lower than some guitars but obviously zero after ten years was way off the mark, I heard of a guy over here who bought 9 or ten of the first LP robots when they came out (he won a lottery) as the first series released he probably has the right idea.

Thanks' date=' sorry collectors item wasnt quite where I was heading, I thought perhaps relative depreciation may be lower than some guitars but obviously zero after ten years was way off the mark, I heard of a guy over here who bought 9 or ten of the first LP robots when they came out (he won a lottery) as the first series released he probably has the right idea.[/quote']

I agree with Musikron,

The reason that the GTs are massively reduced new is because not many people want to buy a guitar that is painted like a car. Similarly, the robots are another gimmick which have also had to reduce in price. I've also seen brand new SG Menace and Goddess models which have been significantly reduced in price (and these look much nicer than the GT, to me anyway).

If you want a Gibson that will hold its price better then the standard or '61 models are the ones to go for. These are the classic models that people want. Even so, because they are mass produced, they can never be seen to be an investment which is what many people who buy them expect.

To stay with the car theme; buying a Gibson is a bit like buying a brand new BMW. It's better made than a Ford using higher quality components and will hold its price better; but both are perfectly functional for most things they will be needed for. However, the BMW is never going to become a collectors car like the old-fashioned, hand-made vehicles of old. Also, because the BMW cost that significant bit more than the run-of-the-mill Ford, you may well be afraid to park it anywhere.

If you like the GT and the price seems good to you then, why not? But, if you can wait 'til they're all sold then get one second hand in a few years time I bet you'll get a much better deal.

I found some little cheap strap locks on Ebay the other day and just put them on one of my guitars. And surprisingly enough they actually work! NO WAY the strap can come off! They're like 4 units (enough for 2 guitars) for $4.00 and free shipping and if you order 2 sets they give you a free set. I've been buying $20 a set Dunlop and Schallers forever, but I'm rethinking my strategy now.........only thing is that you probably need to leave the strap on your axe.

Cheap Straplocks

Archived